Silkie thread!

So sorry for your loss!!

Thank you. Peppermint seemed to be second in the pecking order and first when Arrowroot was broody.

I did not find anything unusual in the coop. Arrowroot, our first Silkie to hatch and wean chicks appears to have gone broody again. She did not budge from the floor nest even after I moved it into the open. However, after I moved her out to put her in the other floor nest that I had cleaned and put into the location where she had been, she panicked at the clean floor and went out into the pen. I suspect that now that I am completely out of the coop she will settle down. If she still seems broody tomorrow, I will consider giving her some fertile eggs.

Help! My Silkie rooster won't stop crowing. He crows in the morning, at night, middle of the day and even at 3 a.m. He used to have a friend who turned out to be a boy and the two of them would crow non stop. So we sadly had to give him away and now we just have the one rooster. I know he shouldn't be alone so we are currently raising 5 little hens to be his new friends but they're still very young. Does he crow because he's alone? Bored? Hungry? Help! My neighbors probably want to kill me.

Help! My Silkie rooster won't stop crowing. He crows in the morning, at night, middle of the day and even at 3 a.m. He used to have a friend who turned out to be a boy and the two of them would crow non stop. So we sadly had to give him away and now we just have the one rooster. I know he shouldn't be alone so we are currently raising 5 little hens to be his new friends but they're still very young. Does he crow because he's alone? Bored? Hungry? Help! My neighbors probably want to kill me.

Mine crows all day long to. He is not lonely there are 5 other chickens in with him. I have no idea why mine does that either. I guess he is just happy and wants to let everyone know.

Mine crows all day long to. He is not lonely there are 5 other chickens in with him. I have no idea why mine does that either. I guess he is just happy and wants to let everyone know.
Lol mine crows too! All day long or whenever he feels like it! I guess it what they do. I even have 2 that's squack like a duck?? Idk why because we don't have any around here lol

Haha mine does the duck sound too. He's like clucking or something. I thought hens did that when they laid eggs but he does it too. He must be proud of something he did.

So all the hens Im raising are different breeds. Some bantams and some not. Do you think there will be any issues when I introduce them all to my rooster Eminem?

it probably wouldn't hurt to get him a hen so he can go ahead and have company... As far as hungry probably not... Do you just feed him by hand a couple times a day or do you have hanging feeders where he can eat when ever he wants? Or is he free range? If he's free range he shouldn't be hungry. But I would suggest a hanging feeder if you don't have one already. Lonely yea he could be, more then likely He is... Bored well depends... He is out there all alone, that again is a free range vs. Coop and run question. But all that said. Roosters are roosters and some just crow more then others for absolutely no reason some times lol!
Fyi if your neighbors start to complain and you don't want to get rid of him they do sale no crow collars but they are newer to the market and Idk about there reviews...????

Haha mine does the duck sound too. He's like clucking or something. I thought hens did that when they laid eggs but he does it too. He must be proud of something he did.

So all the hens Im raising are different breeds. Some bantams and some not. Do you think there will be any issues when I introduce them all to my rooster Eminem?

If you I,troduce them as a chicks or younger birds to him and they (the bigger birds grow up with him they should all be fine. Just watch closely and cull out any aggressive birds as They start to so aggression so they don't teach bad habbits to the others.
Good luck!

Hey all. I am new to raising chicks. I have 3 Rhode Island reds, 2 barred rocks,and 6 silkies. They are all still really little,still in a brooder. So far everyone is getting along fine. Any suggestions? Will they be ok together?

Ppl have all sorts of different experiences w/mixing chicks together. We found having day-old Silkie chicks (2 of them) with 6 other LF chicks (Orp, BR, Austra White, OEs, and Marans) was ok for a couple weeks. However once the LF chicks started growing much larger and faster than the Silkie chicks, the Silkies were getting pecked on. By a couple months old the Silkies were hiding most of the day from the LF they grew up with. It all depends on how much space you have and if there are hiding places for the gentle chicks not to get pecked on as they all grow up. Just keep watching because RIRs and BRs are on the assertive side and a hard peck on a Silkie crest can cause damage to the Silkie brain if not outright kill it. You make your own judgment call. Personally I do not keep heritage or dual purpose with my Silkies any more. The only gentle, kind, nurturing LF I keep with my Silkies is APA Ameraucanas (not EEs since these can occasionally be assertive too). We are adding a Breda to the flock this Spring and we'll see if she plays nice with the Silkies.

We aren't zoned for roos so when our Silkie "pullet" turned out to crow non-stop we had to re-home him. Whether you are zoned for roos or not doesn't matter if your neighbors complain. Otherwise you'll have issues with both your neighbors and local authorities.

Purchased Silkie hatching eggs from C.J. Silkies or C.J. Exotics 3 or 4 years ago. She has dropped out of sight. No email, web page is gone and have found no recent references.

Does anyone know what happened or how to contact. I'm in the U.S. for a month and wanted to purchase hatching eggs. Found one source but would really like her input about ONE of the chicks hatched 3 years ago. Came from her BBS pen,, but maybe not?
Thought I'd attach three photos. 4 day Baby, 1 month and 2 year+.

Back
Top Bottom