Silkie thread!

My black silkie Ebony did the exact same thing over the weekend. I have been giving her vitamin E, electrolyte water and some squash and a little prednisone tablet. She will perk up and act fine for a while, but then I will find her with her head tucked under her. All I have to do is straighten it back out and she seems to be ok for a while. I have her in a cage in my bathroom so I can keep a closer eye on her, but from what I read it can take awhile to see real improvement. Don't give up, it sounds like you are doing some great treatments too. Let me know how she's doing from time to time. Good Luck with your girl.

It sounds like you're doing just what I'm doing! Also sounds like the same symptoms. I hope your silkie gets better!
Look at her diet first. Too much corn in the diet can make the vitamin E inaccessible. I would only give a thiamine rich supplement and vitamin E at this stage. Prednisone is only required if there is swelling, and can be harmful if not administered correctly.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/CornAndSilkies.html
Definitely no corn in her diet. I also don't give them medicated feed. I'll read the page you sent. Thank you!

Bess has shown no improvement, but she hasn't gotten worse, luckily. She's eating her food, drinking. Wouldn't eat scrambled eggs but ate some apple sauce. The Seramas have been trying to hop out of the box lately, and often times fail, landing on the ground rather hard. I'm assuming that our silkie was hit on the head, and so started her on a very small amount of Prednisone.

It sounds like you're doing just what I'm doing! Also sounds like the same symptoms. I hope your silkie gets better!
Definitely no corn in her diet. I also don't give them medicated feed. I'll read the page you sent. Thank you!

Bess has shown no improvement, but she hasn't gotten worse, luckily. She's eating her food, drinking. Wouldn't eat scrambled eggs but ate some apple sauce. The Seramas have been trying to hop out of the box lately, and often times fail, landing on the ground rather hard. I'm assuming that our silkie was hit on the head, and so started her on a very small amount of Prednisone.

This information on prednisone is worth book marking.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Hehe, never boring. I started with a little light partridge hen and Jaffa my red partridge roo.
From that combination I've hatched many versions of partridge including red, silver , blue and grey.

Hjk

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful!

they are gorgeous! Especially the red one! I want a red female so bad! I have bought 2 red ones and both turned out to be roosters! I'm selling my red rooster this week hopefully. I have 5 Roosters and not enough hens.

I have a Silkie who is having an eye problem. He has one eye ball that looks like it wants to come out. It never closes. Much bigger than his other eye. I don't think he can see out of it. Has anyone ever had this happen?

I have a Silkie who is having an eye problem. He has one eye ball that looks like it wants to come out. It never closes. Much bigger than his other eye. I don't think he can see out of it. Has anyone ever had this happen?

There are a few causes for swelling. A pic would help.
Chickens can get a form of conjunctivitis, upper respiratory issues, worms in the eye and a hard cyst like disc , all of these will cause swelling and irritation.

Back
Top Bottom