Silkie thread!

Quote:
I think they are talking comb & skin colour, not leakage. Assuming that is correct, we really need to see it to determine whether it falls within the acceptible range or not. Red is definitely out, but what one judge thinks is too light a mulberry another will find okay. The darker the better, but many quite good birds do not have black combs.

No, unfortunately, I was indeed talking about red leakage into the feathers around his face. His comb and face coloring is perfect-- nice deep dark mulberry. It's just a really light hint of a red hue. In some light, I barely notice it, but it is there. Sigh. He's so pretty! I'll try to get a good pic of his face up soon so you all can critique him. "He" still might turn out to be a she, even... but the crest sure is looking a bit spikey. We'll see, I guess.
wink.png
(I'm betting on a boy)

Very unusual to see leakage onto facial plumage--it is usually on hackle feathers. However at his age, it could be other colours/patterns making an appearance, but it should be showing up elsewhere, too. Any red/gold on wings or shoulders? Or if only on his face, could he be staining it with something he is eating?

Quote:
No, unfortunately, I was indeed talking about red leakage into the feathers around his face. His comb and face coloring is perfect-- nice deep dark mulberry. It's just a really light hint of a red hue. In some light, I barely notice it, but it is there. Sigh. He's so pretty! I'll try to get a good pic of his face up soon so you all can critique him. "He" still might turn out to be a she, even... but the crest sure is looking a bit spikey. We'll see, I guess.
wink.png
(I'm betting on a boy)

Very unusual to see leakage onto facial plumage--it is usually on hackle feathers. However at his age, it could be other colours/patterns making an appearance, but it should be showing up elsewhere, too. Any red/gold on wings or shoulders? Or if only on his face, could he be staining it with something he is eating?

Did you see the picture I posted a few posts back? I'm not seeing red anywhere else on this bird (not on the wings or body)- otherwise (s)he has beautiful coloring. The red seems right around the edge of his beard. I suppose it is possible it is staining. I'm going to hope for that and see what (s)he ends up looking like in the Spring. I just found it odd that there is that bit of red hue there.

Quote:

Did you see the picture I posted a few posts back? I'm not seeing red anywhere else on this bird (not on the wings or body)- otherwise (s)he has beautiful coloring. The red seems right around the edge of his beard. I suppose it is possible it is staining. I'm going to hope for that and see what (s)he ends up looking like in the Spring. I just found it odd that there is that bit of red hue there.

It really sounds like staining of some sort. Do you ever have rust in your water? I friend has rust in her water and her white silkies turn reddish when she bathes them.

Quote:
How old are they? They don't have much of a crest, and their bodies aren't very round.
sad.png
Personally- I'd never breed them. T

Here is a pic of my Splash roo-- see how round and full his crest is? He's still really young too, and has some growing out to do. His crest is still coming in! You want to get something that has a nice round look.
smile.png

96635_img_3405.jpg

Quote:

It really sounds like staining of some sort. Do you ever have rust in your water? I friend has rust in her water and her white silkies turn reddish when she bathes them.

Thanks! The more I look at him... it really does look like a ring of stain of some sort from his feed or water. Sigh. Okay, I'll quit fretting! LOL

Quote:

Thanks! The more I look at him... it really does look like a ring of stain of some sort from his feed or water. Sigh. Okay, I'll quit fretting! LOL

I think it's a pullet.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom