Silkie thread!

First, hard feathering and silkie feathering are separate genes, not opposite alleles. The opposite of silkie feathering is typically referred to as normal feathering or non-silkie feathering. As examples of the differences, game breeds typically have hard feathering while cochins and brahmas typically have soft feathering.

Silkie feathering, which is what you are really asking about, is recessive. Since you had silkie feathered chicks, the sizzle parent carries one copy of the gene for silkie feathering.

o ok so 2 have smooth feathering cause i was wondering the pen i had was a columbian silkie roo with 2 white silkie hens and 2 frizzle partridge cochinbantem hens

Sounds a little like Mendels peas. Breed the two togather, than save an offspring and breed back to a silkie, to get some fluff with a trace of pattern. Back and forth you go to get the Alleles lined up, then the hard part of stablilizing to get them to breed true.

I love science!

So excited. Today my only surviving silkie egg from a major accident of DH turned out to be a chipmonk pattern! I almost lost this 1 to as it turned in the shell and ripped the cord and was bleeding pretty bad after pip. I opened the bator cause it was cheeping like something was wrong. Luckily I was there and other than being a lil bit weak at this point it is sleeping nicly under a broody hen in my laundry room.

At first I thought it was a white since it had a lot of yellowish feathers with lots of red from blood. Upon cleaning it up and drying it so I could watch close for more bleeding I was sooo excited to see the pattern! Next question is where in the HE@* did it come from???

Only silkies I have right now are 2 roos, (1 white, 1 splash), and 3 possible hens, (2 white and 1 blue). I was thinking this egg was from my blue hen as it was the darker tan tone of her usual eggs but now I am not so sure......
1. Is it possible this could be a blue partridge chick from blue hen with white roo (roo carrying partridge gene)?
2. Could this be a silver partridge from the 2 white parents possibly both carrying the partridge gene?

Whatever the case I really hope it is a pullet so it can stay! Its a tough little thing for sure!

So excited. Today my only surviving silkie egg from a major accident of DH turned out to be a chipmonk pattern! I almost lost this 1 to as it turned in the shell and ripped the cord and was bleeding pretty bad after pip. I opened the bator cause it was cheeping like something was wrong. Luckily I was there and other than being a lil bit weak at this point it is sleeping nicly under a broody hen in my laundry room.

At first I thought it was a white since it had a lot of yellowish feathers with lots of red from blood. Upon cleaning it up and drying it so I could watch close for more bleeding I was sooo excited to see the pattern! Next question is where in the HE@* did it come from???

Only silkies I have right now are 2 roos, (1 white, 1 splash), and 3 possible hens, (2 white and 1 blue). I was thinking this egg was from my blue hen as it was the darker tan tone of her usual eggs but now I am not so sure......
1. Is it possible this could be a blue partridge chick from blue hen with white roo (roo carrying partridge gene)?
2. Could this be a silver partridge from the 2 white parents possibly both carrying the partridge gene?

Whatever the case I really hope it is a pullet so it can stay! Its a tough little thing for sure!

So sorry to hear about your accident!! Adorable chick! I think you'll have to wait on the color, but an expert might be able to say otherwise.
old.gif

I have a question for the breeding experts. I recently hatched some shipped eggs (not from someone on this board). I accept the fact that it's a huge gamble as far as fertility and how many hatch, etc. That's cool.

But (there's always a but, isn't there? :)) - The seller claimed that their lines were from the best breeders, including mainly Hattrick silkies. (These were not eggs from Hattrick)

So - the five that hatched - beautiful crests BUT ALL either have 4 toes, 6 toes or webbed toes. Is this just a freak thing that can happen? Or was I mislead about the quality?

Has this happened to anyone else?
idunno.gif

Hi everyone! I have a quick question for you silkie experts.

I have 8 silkies that turned 2 months last tuesday so now theyre 2 months and 1 week. I would like to know what to be looking for in a show quality bird. Their parents are all show quality (which is what I was told by the breeder when I picked up the eggs)

But what are the points and stuff that I need to be looking for, pros and cons.... I show bulldogs so I know about dog showing just nothing about chicken showing! LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated I will try and post pictures of mine later. :)

I have a question for the breeding experts. I recently hatched some shipped eggs (not from someone on this board). I accept the fact that it's a huge gamble as far as fertility and how many hatch, etc. That's cool.

But (there's always a but, isn't there? :)) - The seller claimed that their lines were from the best breeders, including mainly Hattrick silkies. (These were not eggs from Hattrick)

So - the five that hatched - beautiful crests BUT ALL either have 4 toes, 6 toes or webbed toes. Is this just a freak thing that can happen? Or was I mislead about the quality?

Has this happened to anyone else?
idunno.gif

Webbed toes is thought to possibly be an incubation issue. 4 toes and 6 toes is iffy but usually its a genetic issue. It can be recessive, where the parents have 5 toes...but breed 2 recessive birds and you get offspring with the wrong # of toes. Or yes it could be that the seller misled how good a quality the birds were (and with all the chicks having wrong # of toes - thats where my money is)

Most everyone has had a bad experience, all I can tell you is - learn from this. Do research on who you want to buy eggs from. If you really want access to a lot of good breeders i suggest joining the ASBC (American Silkie Bantam Club) if you haven't already. I learned the hardway myself, and if at all possible I suggest buying started birds or someone who has a good record for quality birds and shipped eggs. My number one recommendation for eggs is Kelar on BYC (Catdance) or Geri (Silkie Horsechick is her SN here I think).

Webbed toes is thought to possibly be an incubation issue. 4 toes and 6 toes is iffy but usually its a genetic issue. It can be recessive, where the parents have 5 toes...but breed 2 recessive birds and you get offspring with the wrong # of toes. Or yes it could be that the seller misled how good a quality the birds were (and with all the chicks having wrong # of toes - thats where my money is)

Most everyone has had a bad experience, all I can tell you is - learn from this. Do research on who you want to buy eggs from. If you really want access to a lot of good breeders i suggest joining the ASBC (American Silkie Bantam Club) if you haven't already. I learned the hardway myself, and if at all possible I suggest buying started birds or someone who has a good record for quality birds and shipped eggs. My number one recommendation for eggs is Kelar on BYC (Catdance) or Geri (Silkie Horsechick is her SN here I think).

Thank you! Yes, I have learned a lot! And like you, I had to learn the hardway! I have gotten incredible chicks from most eggs I've gotten, and now that I'm showing, I have access to wonderful young stock too. I've hatched awesome chicks from Catdance! I've joined the Silkie club and try to read up on all I can.

Thanks so much for answering.

Thank you! Yes, I have learned a lot! And like you, I had to learn the hardway! I have gotten incredible chicks from most eggs I've gotten, and now that I'm showing, I have access to wonderful young stock too. I've hatched awesome chicks from Catdance! I've joined the Silkie club and try to read up on all I can.

Thanks so much for answering.

No problem! Yes i have been fortunate to be able to meet and get to know some good breeders in my area and online. I am working on getting my breeding stock together, and hope to one day show birds that I bred and hatched myself.

Back
Top Bottom