Silkied Ameraucana Project

This last guy is funny shaped, not sure if it is just more awkward teen phase or if he's just odd.

The older chicks are getting pretty big now!

I think someone is going to have to break down and have a bird DNA tested for Silkie genes. I have done some looking but don't know where it can be done at.

It was one individual. It's that whole non-accepted Ameracauna / EE thing rearing it's head.
On the one hand I understand the ABC being vigilant in protecting the integrity of the breed, I really do.
If somebody was wanting acceptance for Blue RIR's that could be considered out in left field.
But, Ams as a breed are accepted in a few colors now. They are not a one trick (single color identified) pony.
I've never understood the problem refusing to accept splash when Black and Blue are. Crazy.
It appears even staunch ABC folks are pressing for "new" color acceptance - Lav, Choc, Barred, etc.
From a logical perspective, if ABC wants to remain relevant, not fade into relative obscurity with boredom but
generate renewed interest, popularity and passion - excitement even, then they would do well to embrace more variations.
One has only to look at Orpingtons to recognize the implications of a broader color palate.
Many other recognized breeds "get" the value of going forward into new accepted variations while still maintaining the core integrity of the breed.
All "breeds" were at one time projects that "became" through selective breeding efforts.
Ameraucanas are no different.
That Silkieds popped up from a "pure" gene pool is indicative of this.

Absolutely correct that we Silkied folks are not ready to seek acceptance either with ABC or as our own "breed" yet.
2010 when that first pair appeared less than 4 years ago. It's been a challaging effort. Only a handful of second geration breeders have hung in there this far even -
so no, it's impossible for there to be 5 breeders breeding for 5 years yet even with the origional BBS's. Fads flame out quickly, they don't grow.
And while 5 years may be the benchmark to be taken seriously, those dedicated few that have hung in there and made several generations contributions to these birds deserve the utmost respect - it has not been easy. Certainly there are those hot for novelty that will dip in and out - but there are others very serious about developing these birds long term - and the numbers are growing.

Would it be preferable to be accepted under the ABC? Sure. These birds ARE Ameraucanas. Other breeds have accepted variations in color, combs, crests. feather type and been stregthened by doing so rather than splitering off as a seperate breed. It does however remain on the table as an option. And yes, hard feathered "splits" competing with "pure" accepted varieties in shows may go a long ways towards gaining ABC acceptance - or at least a measure of well deserved respected being exhibited. I love the idea.

It was one individual. It's that whole non-accepted Ameracauna / EE thing rearing it's head.
On the one hand I understand the ABC being vigilant in protecting the integrity of the breed, I really do.
If somebody was wanting acceptance for Blue RIR's that could be considered out in left field.
But, Ams as a breed are accepted in a few colors now. They are not a one trick (single color identified) pony.
I've never understood the problem refusing to accept splash when Black and Blue are. Crazy.
It appears even staunch ABC folks are pressing for "new" color acceptance - Lav, Choc, Barred, etc.
From a logical perspective, if ABC wants to remain relevant, not fade into relative obscurity with boredom but
generate renewed interest, popularity and passion - excitement even, then they would do well to embrace more variations.
One has only to look at Orpingtons to recognize the implications of a broader color palate.
Many other recognized breeds "get" the value of going forward into new accepted variations while still maintaining the core integrity of the breed.
All "breeds" were at one time projects that "became" through selective breeding efforts.
Ameraucanas are no different.
That Silkieds popped up from a "pure" gene pool is indicative of this.

Absolutely correct that we Silkied folks are not ready to seek acceptance either with ABC or as our own "breed" yet.
2010 when that first pair appeared less than 4 years ago. It's been a challaging effort. Only a handful of second geration breeders have hung in there this far even -
so no, it's impossible for there to be 5 breeders breeding for 5 years yet even with the origional BBS's. Fads flame out quickly, they don't grow.
And while 5 years may be the benchmark to be taken seriously, those dedicated few that have hung in there and made several generations contributions to these birds deserve the utmost respect - it has not been easy. Certainly there are those hot for novelty that will dip in and out - but there are others very serious about developing these birds long term - and the numbers are growing.

Would it be preferable to be accepted under the ABC? Sure. These birds ARE Ameraucanas. Other breeds have accepted variations in color, combs, crests. feather type and been stregthened by doing so rather than splitering off as a seperate breed. It does however remain on the table as an option. And yes, hard feathered "splits" competing with "pure" accepted varieties in shows may go a long ways towards gaining ABC acceptance - or at least a measure of well deserved respected being exhibited. I love the idea.

thumbsup.gif

I have no idea either... makes me wonder if there's even a test for it yet...

After a number of generations breeding back to pure it'll be pretty hard for the test for relation to Silkies to be useful. If you bred the birds to standard birds every generation the in something like 7-12 generations they should have about 99% of their genetic material from the standard bird pool. We are breeding back slower though, since it is a recessive trait and is harder to track who inherited what than if it were dominant.

At the end of the day, when we have the numbers to try to get these birds recognized they w ill have been bred back for so long they will likely be close to that 99% mark anyway. As with lavender and other colors it pretty much becomes moot where the trait was introduced from because everything else comes from Ameraucanas.

Didn't see the post above mine, silly phone :)

I can see some of the confusion with Silkies for having the name basically be synonymous with the feathering type. I think that is the main problem, IMO.

Just posted this on the auction thread:

Quote:
that's assuming the silkied were every crossed with a silkie chicken (breed) to start with.. however if the silkied feather is a mutation in pure ameraucanas as is supposed by the original breeders then the silkie chicken breed would be a moot point since they were never crossed with a silkie chicken to start with....

My personal opinion on the silkied project is that they were crossed with something. I have seen yellow skinned offspring which is indicative of a cross.

Not a big deal since most colors have to come from somewhere, but I would say it is not a genetic mutation.

My main concern for this project at this point would be the failure to thrive issue. The birds seem to be very fragile.

Back
Top Bottom