Silkied Ameraucana Project

My bad on the 2010 instead of 2008. 2010 is when Renee, Chookschicks started in on the project and since the choc silkied project was birthed there...
I imprinted incorrectly. Guess I better get my own poo straight. Ha! Rather than contribute to confusion. OOPs!

Katcai, I hear what you're saying and understand your point that setting the "going" rate bar high is keeping more people from getting silkieds.
At some point, in order to seek acceptance or recognition in thier own right as a breed, numbers rather than "rarity is going to have to be bridged.
Your birds are awesome from what I've heard and seen and with your years in the project, certainly you should be well ahead of the flock with where your birds are at.

I'm one of those that would rather not see mass production and by association, deterioration of the progress you and others have made just yet.
A somewhat serious investment does tend to come after more serious consideration instead of whim.
What I do advocate, and believe others can attest to, is mentoring and facilitating the efforts of those that do show sincerity in improving the project(s).
Sending plenty of extra eggs, setting up with "spare" eggs, started chicks or birds to help those genuinely trying to get a good foundation to work with -
the sharing and generous cooperative spirit thats been noted takes place within the "group".

Personally, I've found silkied people, what ever flavor - to be a pretty good bunch of "folks".
By the same token, with noobies wanting fluffies..... I am from the "show me" state, maybe that has something to do with it.

No one has mentioned "mass production" but having a handful of people work on them limits the process. Some would argue working on other than the basic blue, black and splash is a huge set back as well when there is still much to be done otherwise. So there are good and bad on it all at every angle.

Just because someone doesn't want to or can't spend a huge amout of $ to get into these, doesn't mean they would not be an asset to the project. As far as "noobies" wanting in, anyone is welcome, we were all on the outside of this project at one time. I personally had next to no help getting started. Keeping it a small high priced group isn't something I will be doing. That's one reason this project isn't any further along than it is.

They are not always so pretty
lau.gif
This was back in the 100 degree days when I had the misters going...

We need a picture of one in molt under a mister. I volunteer my awkward "butterball" for this, but we may be waiting a while for that (cockerel?) to molt :p

If that chick gets any rounder I may mistake it for a Silkied Bowling Ball!

We need a picture of one in molt under a mister. I volunteer my awkward "butterball" for this, but we may be waiting a while for that (cockerel?) to molt
tongue.png

If that chick gets any rounder I may mistake it for a Silkied Bowling Ball!
lau.gif
Yep gotta see that!

Back
Top Bottom