Silkied Ameraucana Project

I have 1 blue SA hen molting and ugly is not bad enough for it the poor girl... My splash SA hen doesn't look as bad as the blue one molting but she's not pretty either right now.. She looks like she's been lost & on her own for awhile...
ep.gif

No one has mentioned "mass production" but having a handful of people work on them limits the process. Some would argue working on other than the basic blue, black and splash is a huge set back as well when there is still much to be done otherwise. So there are good and bad on it all at every angle.

Just because someone doesn't want to or can't spend a huge amout of $ to get into these, doesn't mean they would not be an asset to the project. As far as "noobies" wanting in, anyone is welcome, we were all on the outside of this project at one time. I personally had next to no help getting started. Keeping it a small high priced group isn't something I will be doing. That's one reason this project isn't any further along than it is.
Guess it depends on what is considered high priced. I squeal at $2.00 a dozen grocery store eggs, but have paid close to $200 for rare hatching eggs.
I'd of rather of had them for less than $2.00 too....
I had thought that the difficulty in progress was due to origionation in a single overly inbred pair and the origional fragility of the offspring resulting from that. It took years and generations of outcrossing to get past that so that they could begin to develop a foothold. A string, a handful at a time, of dedicated (stubborn) breeders invested themselves and thier resources to work through it. As one of the earliest breeders remaining, much of the credit and associated respect - you've earned. It is not out of disrespect that I question and prod discussion (even debate - LOL)

I'm curious, as the origional pair were from quality stock, have been repeatedly crossed to quality stock, other than the eternal quest for the perfect specimin common of any breed, what it is you feel they lack? Serious inquiry, all my exposure has been to this particular color project. I had assumed (that'll get trouble) that as the BBS was the origional source it should be in a pretty solid place by now?

As for the adding color variation thing, since almost the beginning, people had designs on taking the silkied genes into wheaten and lavs. Variations further intergrated into the Americauna type - but still origionally from other breed sources at some point as well. With fresh injection of other breed genes for color projects, years of work to recover lost ground getting back to SOP is always necessary. The all black silkied breeding pen you and others have planned on will make a terrific contribution for those of us working colors to leap frog back with front line progress from the BBS origional line.

Those working with ABC SOP colored silkieds are expected to be the advance guard of direction - whether that be striving for ABC acceptance or as an independant breed. Those of us working on color projects serve a purpose as well, keeping excitement, interest and notice fresh. Does that difuse focus of the initial breakthru for recognition? I can see where it's a double edged sword.

The silkied gene is also in the works to be integrated into other breeds now. It's not just ABC that is going to be contending with the LF silkied variation.

On the price of eggs, I would never pay that much for eggs (200$). That is why it is so high they have people willing to pay that, not me. I would wait. I have better things to do with my money them to gamble on eggs that may or may not hatch. I am willing to offer my eggs at reasonable price on an auction and those wanting them will bid. Just like pips eggs she sets a price and it bid a price when it goes over it I'm out. I want to share the little biddies because they are fun and cute, some get them and want to breed and others maybe not. It's up to the buyer and seller

On the price of eggs, I would never pay that much for eggs (200$). That is why it is so high they have people willing to pay that, not me. I would wait. I have better things to do with my money them to gamble on eggs that may or may not hatch. I am willing to offer my eggs at reasonable price on an auction and those wanting them will bid. Just like pips eggs she sets a price and it bid a price when it goes over it I'm out. I want to share the little biddies because they are fun and cute, some get them and want to breed and others maybe not. It's up to the buyer and seller

I am feeling for you! The neighbors' dog came down on several occasions and ended up killed a total of 17 of my chickens. My husband staked out the place at the time the dog usually came for a few days, later we set a live trap... never caught the darn thing. Found out that neighbor is moving and taking his dog; good thing. I was so mad, they were all just a couple weeks from laying.

Hello everyone, I am new on here but I feel like I know all of you. After about a week of reading 266 pages of this "high-suspense drama novel"; [I literally cried when Jubaby said she was getting out and everyone offered to get her going again; anyone know where she stands now??] anyway, then I discover it continued here in a new strand (smart move btw) I made it to page 9 or so and was trying to comment on the loss of chickens to a dog but apparently I posted wrong...

So I love how these chickens got their start and how everyone in the project is determined to make this "breed" stronger. I would LOVE to jump in, but I know I should wait till spring. I hope you all will welcome me and help me with any questions I have. Everyone in the posts seem so genuinely caring and devoted to these silkied chickens! I currently have 37 assorted chickens, two of those are laying, with the rest almost at 20 wks old. I also have 7 bantam chicks (2 frizzles, 1 bantam brahma, and 4 assort bantam feather footed). And 1 adult guinea and 20 guinea keets.
I have a full sized bus converted into a chicken coop and plenty of room for more pens in another barn.

Nice to meet you oopsadaisys (cute name by the way)!

I was going through color charting the eggs I had waiting to go into the incubator, and I have to say sometimes it gets hard to pick out the different colors. I think this will take some practice; I'd chart two eggs as the same color then set them side by side and find they just didn't seem that close of a match. I think it's going to be a good way to quantify color progress though!

Hello everyone, I am new on here but I feel like I know all of you. After about a week of reading 266 pages of this "high-suspense drama novel"; [I literally cried when Jubaby said she was getting out and everyone offered to get her going again; anyone know where she stands now??] anyway, then I discover it continued here in a new strand (smart move btw) I made it to page 9 or so and was trying to comment on the loss of chickens to a dog but apparently I posted wrong...

So I love how these chickens got their start and how everyone in the project is determined to make this "breed" stronger. I would LOVE to jump in, but I know I should wait till spring. I hope you all will welcome me and help me with any questions I have. Everyone in the posts seem so genuinely caring and devoted to these silkied chickens! I currently have 37 assorted chickens, two of those are laying, with the rest almost at 20 wks old. I also have 7 bantam chicks (2 frizzles, 1 bantam brahma, and 4 assort bantam feather footed). And 1 adult guinea and 20 guinea keets.
I have a full sized bus converted into a chicken coop and plenty of room for more pens in another barn.
Hello oopsadaisys and welcome to the sight and our project, I'm sure auctions and the sell of eggs and chicks will be around in the spring. I was the one who had the dog attack. it didn't kill any of my Silkied Am's, it did kill a bunch of my bantam d'Uccles and a Marans.
LBKS, I am just waiting for eggs none yet, still waiting. I wish I would get some eggs but it is looking like I won't until the light changes. Mine, I just noticed how dark their coop actually is, when I was trying to catch them for NPIP testing. I think I might hang some christmas lights in their for them to be able to see going to bed and see if I can get a couple eggs. I hope all is blue

Last edited:
My silkied ameraucana eggs hatched last night. 6 out of 7 shipped eggs. I was very pleased. Now I can't wait for them to start feathering out to see if/how many of them have barbless feathers

Back
Top Bottom