Silkied Ameraucana Project

But they're still AMs.Why as EEs? Just santeria make sure I don't misrepresent them, but smooths I have hatched out have been close to my BBS straight AM flock. Never heard the EE part.

Generally any project brids could also be called EEs, so just calling them EEs helps set expectations so that people don't use them in standard bred AM projects. it would be bad to sell them as AMs not knowing if they were carrying the silkied genetics and then end up contaminating someone's flock with a gene that they don't want and may be a pain to breed out. EEs mean anything is possible, so buyers know that.

Better to err on the side of caution than risking setting someone else's breeding project back. Tge main thing is that the buyer knows the risk of the bird carrying the recessive trait.

Thank you. That helps a lot. My splits and other straight feathered ones could be used in my straight BBS pen, but I don't mix them that way. I have extra little cockatoos that I need to sell. Not selling any if the Silkied ones though. I do sell eggs, but make sure they know they produce both.

SHOWS???? Has anyone shown one of these? IF one was to be shown, would it just be entered as an Ameraucana, or would it need to go into the "All Other Varieties", or whatever that category is? Is there any precedent set with this....in say...Frizzleds or something? Some other chicken that has a variation similar to being Silkied?

SHOWS???? Has anyone shown one of these? IF one was to be shown, would it just be entered as an Ameraucana, or would it need to go into the "All Other Varieties", or whatever that category is? Is there any precedent set with this....in say...Frizzleds or something? Some other chicken that has a variation similar to being Silkied?
I think they'd be under AOV, but I suspect your best bet for a good answer would be to follow a project like the lavender AM project and see what they are doing. It's been a really long while since I read up on that though.

****VARIETY NAME****

OK, there is obviously a LOT of confusion with these birds on the basis that people think they are a cross with Silkies...and the name doesn't help... I've been talking to JerryS on here (Charter Member of the Ameraucana Breeders Club) and he sent me some facts on the discovery of these birds and their feather type:

"The stringy mutation was reported in 1950 and given the st-2 symbol in 1980 according to Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R.D. Crawford . The st mutation was reported in 1945 but all died by 2 weeks of age . So st-2 was given to these that can live to maturity."

So, I'm wondering if the name of this variety should be changed before they become really well known in the chicken world and before I commence my crusade to have them accepted as a new variety by the APA. If so, should we go with Stringy Ameraucana....it's not the best sounding name, I know...but it does hold true to the genetics and separates from the Silkies....or are there other suggestions? St. Ameraucas? They could be a new saint as well as chickens? (just kidding of course!)

Back
Top Bottom