Silkies from Garry Farm "BARGAIN" ?

It is so fun expanding the flock! My only advice is leave room to enjoy a broody or two (you know you will have that with the silkies) so you can enjoy that experience. Also, I added a couple of new hens each year as the older they get, the slower they lay, so new ones added keep egg production up. I know many cull their hens when they stop laying due to their age, but I am so attached I just can't do it. If I have to run a chicken retirement home...so be it! I have only lost 1 hen in 4 years. I do cull extra roosters however - and they usually give me good reason. I hate it when they are aggressive and hurtful to the girls. I re-homed 3 recently, but I have 2 juveniles that may go into the freezer. Thankfully my husband will do the "deed" when it is time.

I would order from Nancy or Catdance again in a heartbeat! Nancy has a wonderful variety of hens as well which is great! I think Catdance is all silkies.

Last edited:
It is so fun expanding the flock! My only advice is leave room to enjoy a broody or two (you know you will have that with the silkies) so you can enjoy that experience. Also, I added a couple of new hens each year as the older they get, the slower they lay, so new ones added keep egg production up. I know many cull their hens when they stop laying due to their age, but I am so attached I just can't do it. If I have to run a chicken retirement home...so be it! I have only lost 1 hen in 4 years. I do cull extra roosters however - and they usually give me good reason. I hate it when they are aggressive and hurtful to the girls. I re-homed 3 recently, but I have 2 juveniles that may go into the freezer. Thankfully my husband will do the "deed" when it is time.

I would order from Nancy or Catdance again in a heartbeat! Nancy has a wonderful variety of hens as well which is great! I think Catdance is all silkies.

I'm completely with you, If I have hens they are here to stay unless they are mean or just really causing trouble and I know I will be so attached to my roos but I know they all can't stay to. Thankfully for me, S.O. said he will do the dirty deed of culling too but I will first try to find my roos a home because locally we have lots of people with chickens and maybe I'll be lucky and a few will need some roos.

I found this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...10-eggs-pick-a-pack-some-rare-breeds-included

Nancy put up a listing for a 10+ pack of your choosing of different breeds she has!
big_smile.png
I think that is really neat and a couple of the breeds on there is what I want. I wonder if I could specify a couple black silkie eggs and one more white! I think it's $25 and then $18.50 for shipping which really is not bad for the breeds you have a shot at hatching. Marans, orpingtons, welsummers, delawares etc.,... So, I'm going to think about it.

That's a great deal from Nancy! I am sure she would let you exchange for some black silkie eggs! I wish mine were older and laying - I would totally send you some for free! It would be fun to see if they hatched! Maybe in the fall?

That's a great deal from Nancy!  I am sure she would let you exchange for some black silkie eggs!  I wish mine were older and laying - I would totally send you some for free!  It would be fun to see if they hatched!  Maybe in the fall?   

I think she would too :) I'm attending a show may 25th-26th, my first poultry show! I'm really excited and told others I might be in trouble if there are some chicks I want there :)

That sounds great Becky thanks for the offer! I certainly would love some of those silkies, I bet Garry and cat dance silkies will make beautiful babies!

Here a couple pictures I took tonight, my Boston Is in love with the chicks I just haven't figured out if its because he wants some chicken nuggets or not yet though lol!
But they are never unsupervised and hope they can interact and be OK with each other as the chicks grow.

I think she would too :) I'm attending a show may 25th-26th, my first poultry show! I'm really excited and told others I might be in trouble if there are some chicks I want there :)

That sounds great Becky thanks for the offer! I certainly would love some of those silkies, I bet Garry and cat dance silkies will make beautiful babies!

Here a couple pictures I took tonight, my Boston Is in love with the chicks I just haven't figured out if its because he wants some chicken nuggets or not yet though lol!
But they are never unsupervised and hope they can interact and be OK with each other as the chicks grow.

ADORABLE!!!
We moved everyone out to their new coop tonight! I honestly thought about bringing out a sleeping bag and sleeping out there to
make sure they were OK! I think I need intervention! LOL! We will try and finish the enclosed run tomorrow.

G
ADORABLE!!!
We moved everyone out to their new coop tonight! I honestly thought about bringing out a sleeping bag and sleeping out there to
make sure they were OK! I think I need intervention! LOL! We will try and finish the enclosed run tomorrow.

Yay!! That's great! I can't wait to finish ours, looking forward to some pictures of your silkies in their new 'home'! :)
How far in age are your silkies apart? And I know exactly what you mean I was even thinking 'baby monitors' for mine for a while LOL! It's going to be a tough move for them and mainly me!

Only 1/2 the door is painted! Will finish later...

Garry on the left, Catdance brooder babies on the right!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer....
big_smile.png

You lookin' at me?

Check out the blue earlobe!!! Those appeared this week!

The gang!

I have the bottom of the coop blocked off until we can wire around the bottom - so they won't get out and my T-Rex size hens attack them
gig.gif
. We have racoons, hawks, and even had a coyote jump our 6 foot fence once...so we need to make it like Fort Knox! You can see my little cheesy 6" off the ground roost in the back - hey it works and they like it!

The Shed looks GREAT!!! and your Garry babies are turning out to be simply stunning, I'm jealous right now and I have 4 of them in the brooder but I want mine to be all fluffed out and beautiful too!
hit.gif

But it's so great that you are finally so close to the end of the build that they can use there coop and run, I'm sure a big relief to you! Another positive too at least the transition won't be so hard on your brooder babies into there new coop/run either. What lucky Silkies! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Hahaha! Thanks! They were hilarious when they finally were brave enough to come out and play! They were running and jumping and flapping their useless wings! It was adorable! We will make them a nice ramp so they can get the hang of that! So much to do!

Prepare for the ugly stage ... it lasts FOREVER!!! They are still cute - just ugly...ya know what I mean? They will fill out a ton more - I see the little pin feathers still! LOVE the blue earlobes! Those are awesome!

I am sure they will pile up in some corner of their run, so I will have to put them back into the shed tonight! Oh well, I don't mind - they just make me smile! My poor husband is beat though...He is a good man!

Yes the blue ear lobes are so pretty! :)
I'm preparing for the ugly stage I can already see little feathers trying to come up on there heads and there wing feathers have definitely came in nicely. I seen some pics of the silkies in the ugly stage lol I remember one had its whole body filled out but barely anything on the head neck that was just trying to come in lol! One of those awww so ugly they are cute type deals hehe

I bet they were so happy to be out of the coop!
I took mine out yesterday it got up in the low 70s and I only had them out for about 5minutes and they were stretching there wings and flapping them. Made me feel bad they are stuck in a little brooder but hopefully in about another 4ish weeks everything will be ready for them to go outside into there new living quarters!

It is so funny watching the progression in a chicken to accept something new. it normally doesn't take long and once they're ok with it it must be pecked, walked on, layed on, pooped on Etc.,...! Lol

Back
Top Bottom