Silkies from Garry Farm "BARGAIN" ?

Congrats! I LOVE my buff silkie! So sweet! Your temps may have been a little low - which will delay the hatch a day or two! My last silkie hatched day 22, and from what I read they tend to be more "on time" than the other breeds which tend to come day 20. I have had chicks that take longer to fluff, even under the heat lamp, etc. and look like they used hair gel in places. I think they just don't come out as clean. They eventually fluff up beautifully (like 1-3 days). It could be from the drop in humidity, but I would say as long as everyone is eating/drinking you are ok - the other stuff can be dealt with later! I would leave the buff silkie in the incubator as you have others pipping. That will keep your humidity stable. You don't want to risk it right now. They can stay in there a couple of days no problem! So happy for you! Do you have to work today? the other one might not eat or drink a whole lot yet as it is still absorbing the yolk .... as long as you have dipped it's beak in the water it will get the hang of it. Once it's hatch mates join him and do it too they all seem to catch on! I changed mine to a bigger feed and water dish yesterday and they all stayed piled in the corner like I had dropped a transformer monster in with them. I went back an hour later and they were all "digging in!". They are so funny. From their perspective I guess everything looks huge!

Thank you! That eased my mind a little and I do notice the RIR is starting to fluff up more little by little, the feathers on his head are slowly starting to come up.
LOL That story is too cute!!! I can so see that happening.
gig.gif

4 RIR pips and 2 silkie pips...

Thank you! That eased my mind a little and I do notice the RIR is starting to fluff up more little by little, the feathers on his head are slowly starting to come up.
LOL That story is too cute!!! I can so see that happening.
gig.gif

4 RIR pips and 2 silkie pips...

6 more pips! That's awesome!! This will be a big day! Can hardly wait to see pictures!

I now have 4 chicks (2rirs and 2 silkies) and 7 pips! :) or at least that I can see, one of them was hard to see through the bator window cause its kind of near the bottom, so not sure if any others pipped on the bottom. Another buff silkie and a RIR hatched exactly at the same time, It was neat to watch! They sure like to play soccer with all the eggs! makes me worry.
I will probably have some pictures up tonight or tomorrow, the first buff silkie is fluffing up well and looks so 'silkie' soft lol

I set the eggs at 8pm 21 days ago, so wondering if they will all start hatching closer to this time. I can see a silkie and another RIR are getting ready to zip. Out of these 4 it seems, once they really get a decent hole started and not just a pip then they keep going to town until they get out. My humidity keeps climbing and I haven't added anything, I notice the second silkie chick that came out was more wet than the others, I did open the ventilation hole to allow some to leave and it seems to have helped some. I just hope the others won't drowned if it continues to climb. I have to leave in a couple minutes to go pick my son up from school and have a meeting at 3 with his teacher, I will be Anxious to get back! :)

I now have 4 chicks (2rirs and 2 silkies) and 7 pips! :) or at least that I can see, one of them was hard to see through the bator window cause its kind of near the bottom, so not sure if any others pipped on the bottom. Another buff silkie and a RIR hatched exactly at the same time, It was neat to watch! They sure like to play soccer with all the eggs! makes me worry.
I will probably have some pictures up tonight or tomorrow, the first buff silkie is fluffing up well and looks so 'silkie' soft lol

I set the eggs at 8pm 21 days ago, so wondering if they will all start hatching closer to this time. I can see a silkie and another RIR are getting ready to zip. Out of these 4 it seems, once they really get a decent hole started and not just a pip then they keep going to town until they get out. My humidity keeps climbing and I haven't added anything, I notice the second silkie chick that came out was more wet than the others, I did open the ventilation hole to allow some to leave and it seems to have helped some. I just hope the others won't drowned if it continues to climb. I have to leave in a couple minutes to go pick my son up from school and have a meeting at 3 with his teacher, I will be Anxious to get back! :)

Oh that is so exciting!!!!
yesss.gif
A humidity climb is totally normal during hatch! Those wet chicks and egg interiors are adding to it! I think opening the ventilation hole was a great idea! Just don't let it drop too dramatically. How many did you have go into lockdown? What a great fun day! Did your son get to see any hatch? My husband and I fight over the bator when they are hatching ... the kids... not so much! They are teenagers however!

I put my Garry silkies in a small pen in the yard today - they seem happy to have some grass and sun. Their residence right now is a small dog crate for shelter inside a big covered run. They have tons of room - but it is under a huge tree, so not as much sun right now. It will be better when the sun is higher in the sky. I figured the shade will be good in the summer as it gets over 100 here often.

I really need to name them .... instead of "buffy the vampire slayer" for the buff one. She is the only one I call anything. I quit naming my chicks until I knew if they were a boy or girl...didn't want to get attached too much. But, the silkies are staying...so they need names!

I will check back later!
Becky

Oh that is so exciting!!!! :yesss: A humidity climb is totally normal during hatch!  Those wet chicks and egg interiors are adding to it!  I think opening the ventilation hole was a great idea!  Just don't let it drop too dramatically.  How many did you have go into lockdown?   What a great fun day!  Did your son get to see any hatch?   My husband and I fight over the bator when they are hatching ... the kids... not so much!  They are teenagers however!

I put my Garry silkies  in a small pen in the yard today - they seem happy to have some grass and sun.  Their residence right now is a small dog crate for shelter inside a big covered run.  They have tons of room - but it is under a huge tree, so not as much sun right now.  It will be better when the sun is higher in the sky.  I figured the shade will be good in the summer as it gets over 100 here often. 

I really need to name them .... instead of "buffy the vampire slayer" for the buff one.  She is the only one I call anything.  I quit naming my chicks until I knew if they were a boy or girl...didn't want to get attached too much.  But, the silkies are staying...so they need names!

I will check back later! 
Becky

6 chicks total now.. 4rir and 2silkies still.
5 rir pips and 2 more silkie pips. I had 22 in total, I said 25 previously but removed 3 going into lockdown. The chicks are doing great but one of the rir pips are making me nervous he made a round hole that I can see down in and looks to be covered in the inner membrane. He reaches his beak out a little and is getting oxygen however I'm worried that the inside of his shell is going to harden because of the hole. I haven't touched it or assisted in any way but Even when he moves and tried to free himself he seems in trouble compared to the others, I'm trying to sit on my hands and wait, but so hard.

And Yay! I bet it's so exciting to get them out into their own area and watch them explore. I can't wait! As far names you have to leave the buff one Buffy lol too cute! I'm not good on names though most people don't use 'human' type names for their pets, but I do. Although my boston terrier is an exception, my bf really named him, after a gun.

6 chicks total now.. 4rir and 2silkies still.
5 rir pips and 2 more silkie pips. I had 22 in total, I said 25 previously but removed 3 going into lockdown. The chicks are doing great but one of the rir pips are making me nervous he made a round hole that I can see down in and looks to be covered in the inner membrane. He reaches his beak out a little and is getting oxygen however I'm worried that the inside of his shell is going to harden because of the hole. I haven't touched it or assisted in any way but Even when he moves and tried to free himself he seems in trouble compared to the others, I'm trying to sit on my hands and wait, but so hard.

And Yay! I bet it's so exciting to get them out into their own area and watch them explore. I can't wait! As far names you have to leave the buff one Buffy lol too cute! I'm not good on names though most people don't use 'human' type names for their pets, but I do. Although my boston terrier is an exception, my bf really named him, after a gun.

Oh, sitting and waiting is horrible! Great job so far!! I have had previous ones make a big hole, and not make it. But this last time one did , and did fine - just took FOREVER to hatch! They seem to do it on their own sweet time! The membrane will dry right where the hole is, but the inside usually stays moist - especially with your humidity up. they say if they aren't strong enough to do it on their own...but I am the worst. I did help a silkie that had zipped, but the membrane was so rubbery it just tried and tried to tear it apart, and couldn't do it. It was so exhausted, the other chicks were pecking at it, so I took it out and used cuticle scissors to cut the membrane just enough that it could get out - and put it back in the bator to "hatch". Totally against the "hatching" rules - so it will be our little secret! I don't even know which one it is now!

Oh, we are terrible with names! We have 2 Bichon/cocker spaniel brothers and their names are "nook" and "cranny"! My husband wanted to name them "smith"and "wesson". Your BF would appreciate that! My kids are better at naming pets than I am.

Oh, sitting and waiting is horrible!   Great job so far!!  I have had previous ones make a big hole, and not make it. But this last time one did , and did fine - just took FOREVER to hatch!  They seem to do it on their own sweet time!  The membrane will dry right where the hole is, but the inside usually stays moist - especially with your humidity up.  they say if they aren't strong enough to do it on their own...but I am the worst. I did help a silkie that had zipped, but the membrane was so rubbery it just tried and tried to tear it apart, and couldn't do it.  It was so exhausted, the other chicks were pecking at it, so I took it out and used cuticle scissors to cut the membrane just enough that it could get out - and put it back in the bator to "hatch".  Totally against the "hatching" rules - so it will be our little secret!  I don't even know which one it is now!

Oh, we are terrible with names!  We have 2 Bichon/cocker spaniel brothers and their names are "nook" and "cranny"!  My husband wanted to name them "smith"and "wesson".  Your BF would appreciate that!   My kids are better at naming pets than I am.

Lol! Those are great names, nook and cranny! Smith and Wesson are great too, our next female dog will Probably be kimber but who knows lol! ...
The chick I was worried about did hatch, I now have 10 chicks...3buff silkies and 7 Rirs! Out if the 12 left in the bator only 2 have pips and one is a white (my fav) silkie and an rir. I told them on the Easter hatch if I could just get a blue and white silkie to hatch I would be happy and content with my hatch :) I hope the others hatch though!

Lol! Those are great names, nook and cranny! Smith and Wesson are great too, our next female dog will Probably be kimber but who knows lol! ...
The chick I was worried about did hatch, I now have 10 chicks...3buff silkies and 7 Rirs! Out if the 12 left in the bator only 2 have pips and one is a white (my fav) silkie and an rir. I told them on the Easter hatch if I could just get a blue and white silkie to hatch I would be happy and content with my hatch
smile.png
I hope the others hatch though!

Glad to hear the big hole chick hatched! That is a relief. I bet you will wake up with more in the bator tomorrow! Maybe next fall when my silkies start laying, I can send you some eggs to try! That would be fun! This last batch I got some beautiful lavendars, partridge, white, porcelain, etc. Of course I don't know gender yet!

Looking forward to a morning report and hopefully news of a new white and blue silkie@

Glad to hear the big hole chick hatched! That is a relief.  I bet you will wake up with more in the bator tomorrow!   Maybe next fall when my silkies start laying, I can send you some eggs to try!  That would be fun!   This last batch I got some beautiful lavendars, partridge, white, porcelain, etc.  Of course I don't know gender yet!

Looking forward to a morning report and hopefully news of a new white and blue silkie@

You were right I woke up to 4 more! All my Rhode Island reds have now hatched, I have 10rirs (out of 12 in the beginning) and then 4 silkies and one white pip. They hatched earlier in the night because they had started to fluff pretty well. (3buff 1 white) I'm so excited for my white lol come on blue and would be really happy if my only partridge hatched too! I'm thinking maybe at this point I'm not going to see to much more hatching though. Keeping fingers crossed I do!!

One of my reds has a very slightly deformed head, just like one side is ever so slightly uneven with the other side. I say ever so slightly because if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice so much, but when you are you can tell who it is. I hope this one makes it, I have another red who is acting more ''down' than the others and kind I stays close to a sidewall of the container and just sleeps. You touch him and he will take off though so hopefully don't have to worry to much.
I told David the new ones apparently have to go in for a gang initiation to be able to live in the brooder. The ones I put in last night the others were hovering around them and pecking there toes, there eyes, feathers Etc.,... Lol! Poor babies.
Oh yes Becky, have lots of eggs! ;) lol if I only end up with 5 silkies and several are Roos then I WILL be buying more!

Still only 14 chicks one of my Rirs was star gazing I thought for sure he was a gonner. I got him out of the brooder and walked him through the house while talking and rubbing him all over trying to stimulate him and put some electrolyte mix on his beak. I believe he was already weak, sat directly under the heat lamp to long and dehydrated himself. Anyway, after awhile I got him to stand and chirp again but was leaning to the side, I let him stay on the couch and kept offering him electrolyte mixture and felt comfortable with putting him back in the brooder. Now I can't even tell which one he is!!! I have been advised to pick up vitamins w/out iron because I was told he may possibly do this again. I need it on hand anyway do will grab some in a little while.

I still only have 1 pip out of 8 eggs :( it's a white so that's good but I want more silkies! None of the others are showing any signs of life but I know for sure when I put them in these were moving inside their eggs. Fingers crossed! Is it possible for them to be holding off another day or two like this, I thought normally they were a little earlier.

Back
Top Bottom