Silkies from Garry Farm "BARGAIN" ?

Still only 14 chicks one of my Rirs was star gazing I thought for sure he was a gonner. I got him out of the brooder and walked him through the house while talking and rubbing him all over trying to stimulate him and put some electrolyte mix on his beak. I believe he was already weak, sat directly under the heat lamp to long and dehydrated himself. Anyway, after awhile I got him to stand and chirp again but was leaning to the side, I let him stay on the couch and kept offering him electrolyte mixture and felt comfortable with putting him back in the brooder. Now I can't even tell which one he is!!! I have been advised to pick up vitamins w/out iron because I was told he may possibly do this again. I need it on hand anyway do will grab some in a little while.

I still only have 1 pip out of 8 eggs
sad.png
it's a white so that's good but I want more silkies! None of the others are showing any signs of life but I know for sure when I put them in these were moving inside their eggs. Fingers crossed! Is it possible for them to be holding off another day or two like this, I thought normally they were a little earlier.

You are having a great hatch so far! I would go a couple of more days! I had some die in their shell - never internally pipped. It is so sad when that happens.

Glad you got the RIR stable! Sometimes they just need a little boost to get them eating and drinking! electrolites is perfect! I give the vitamins mixed in their water the first couple of days. Watch for pasty butt though - it can attribute to that.

You can sometimes tap on the unhatched eggs to see if they will chirp at you. It is so hard to know when to throw in the towel! There was a lady on the other thread (hatching shipped eggs) that had hers hatch days 22-24 due to low temps!

The lopsided head one....I saw something on that on another thread. If I can find it later I will paste the link here. I haven't read anything - just remember seeing it in passing. I can't imagine how good they all come out when you consider how squished they are in that egg! Watching them unfold is amazing!

Hope to get good news of another white baby soon!

You are having a great hatch so far! I would go a couple of more days! I had some die in their shell - never internally pipped. It is so sad when that happens.

Glad you got the RIR stable! Sometimes they just need a little boost to get them eating and drinking! electrolites is perfect! I give the vitamins mixed in their water the first couple of days. Watch for pasty butt though - it can attribute to that.

You can sometimes tap on the unhatched eggs to see if they will chirp at you. It is so hard to know when to throw in the towel! There was a lady on the other thread (hatching shipped eggs) that had hers hatch days 22-24 due to low temps!

The lopsided head one....I saw something on that on another thread. If I can find it later I will paste the link here. I haven't read anything - just remember seeing it in passing. I can't imagine how good they all come out when you consider how squished they are in that egg! Watching them unfold is amazing!

Hope to get good news of another white baby soon!

I just lost an RIR chick! He was the first to start star gazing earlier today, I was able to rub and stimulate him and give him electrolytes like I said and he was OK...Well then my only white silkie went down, to the point I thought what can I even try at this point! He was on his side, non responsive, barely breathing, whoe body completely limp. I thought there is really nothing I can do, but I got the electrolytes and mixed them and his beak was wide open and tongue just flopping around, I just kept putting a little on his beak with my finger hoping at least SOME would make it down without drowning him. Long story short, I HAD to leave to get my son and was told I needed vitamins, I ran out and got poy vi sol without iron (took me a few store trips to find) and picked up my son. Finally got back here and just ran into the room to see my RIR chick fighting his last fight kicking and then died right in front of me and my son. The white silkie chick is up and running around like usual. I dosed each chick with the poly vi sol and hoping for the best!!
hit.gif
So devastating! I almost feel like I don't want to hatch eggs ever again, I don't know if I'm cut out for this kind of loss and stress. Of course, I knew from the beginning this was a part of it, but I have a deep deep love for animals and it really is devastating me that I couldn't save this baby. Another loss is going to be that some or the rest of these eggs are not going to hatch, what can I say I'm a big mess when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Also, when I pulled the last babies out I did a very quick candling and the air cells are HUGE, I'm worried there is NO room for these babies to move to even pip and will pass in the shell if they already haven't.

Also, when I pulled the last babies out I did a very quick candling and the air cells are HUGE, I'm worried there is NO room for these babies to move to even pip and will pass in the shell if they already haven't.

hugs.gif
So So Sorry! That is so horrible!
hit.gif
I have lost a chick the last two hatches, both after a week. It is so hard! Sometimes they just don't make it because of issues you can't see. Don't give up, and don't be too hard on yourself. Remember that in a year you will probably have a broody or two, and they are fantastic at hatching! Have you seen everyone drink? Do they have enough room to move away from the light if they are too warm? Are they on litter? Pine litter is ok - but I think the large pine is better. I think the last 2 I lost was because I was using fine pine and they ate some of it and it lodged in their crop. Makes me sick to think it was my fault, but I will never know. . This hatch I have on puppy pads that I got at the 99 cent store. It is great - when they are really soiled, I just roll it up, and I have another one underneath! I stacked about 5 sheets and put them in the brooder. They can't slip, they absorb well, and the chicks can see their food well,etc. Will pray everyone will do well from this point on! I know it is stressful for sure! I am with you - I hate losing animals! I think overall you have had a great hatch for shipped eggs! Enjoy the little ones you have and we will hope for a few more to hatch for you. I don't know what to think about the large air cells....

I'm sorry and don't mention losing one after a week lol I will have a heart attack!

They are on pine pellets but with two layers of paper towels on top. I've seen most drinking but I'm constantly showing them food and water. The bedding for there coop will be pine pellets so thought it best they get use to them.
I do believe they have enough room to get away and cool off, right now most are sleeping in the middle almost making a perfect circle away from the light. But some want to stay right under which I discourage a little so I raised the light a few inches away. Keep in mind I'm using a 250watt bulb indoors and its already in the 70s inside, so I'm starting to wonder if I need to go to a 100 watt.

I just got everything cleaned up in the brooder lots of chick poop food scattered and a little bit of a wet area around the waterer, so thought it was time.

I put them in a box we had planned to use as a fire starter (we burn some garbage and sometimes have small bonfires) for the clean up here are a few pics lol they weren't to happy with me hehe

I'm sorry and don't mention losing one after a week lol I will have a heart attack!

They are on pine pellets but with two layers of paper towels on top. I've seen most drinking but I'm constantly showing them food and water. The bedding for there coop will be pine pellets so thought it best they get use to them.
I do believe they have enough room to get away and cool off, right now most are sleeping in the middle almost making a perfect circle away from the light. But some want to stay right under which I discourage a little so I raised the light a few inches away. Keep in mind I'm using a 250watt bulb indoors and its already in the 70s inside, so I'm starting to wonder if I need to go to a 100 watt.

I just got everything cleaned up in the brooder lots of chick poop food scattered and a little bit of a wet area around the waterer, so thought it was time.

I put them in a box we had planned to use as a fire starter (we burn some garbage and sometimes have small bonfires) for the clean up here are a few pics lol they weren't to happy with me hehe

So cute! Picked out the silkie right away!! Love the feathered feet! Sounds like you are doing everything right! Has the other silkie hatched yet? I use a 250 too - and I notice mine are never directly under it. I should switch - it would save $ on electricity that is for sure! I am having a hard time finding time to hold them a lot. I know you are supposed to with silkies - but to hold 18 would take me all day!! LOL! Has the other white one hatched yet? Waiting is so hard!

Nope not yet, still can hear some faint chirping, can see some egg rocking but the pip hasn't changed in hours...It's been pipped over 12hours so tomorrow night I will probably start making calls on what to do if it still hasn't hatched by then. Keeping fingers crossed it will hatch over night though! No other pips going on, nothing else going on in any of the other eggs, I got each out and penciled the air cells on each of them. I read the assisted hatch article on here and found this was a good idea to do for any future assisting. I really don't think any of them are alive though, I removed one egg because It apparently was bad after all, the contents look disgusting inside and before all I could see was FULL so thought well, if its full might be full of chick!

I understand not spending enough time with them, sometimes I feel like everyone and everything is pulling me every which way! But, as a family I think they will get enough human interaction, I hope lol I notice just making constant appearances and sticking my hand down in I have several chicks coming to check me out land as the day progresses a chick or two more is coming to check me out. The one RIR we are in love with I think would happily live out here with me lol He takes off flying towards my hand and will jump on it, its hilarious. I can put him close to my chest or have him in my hands and he will fall to sleep quickly.
I can't imagine making time to hold 18 chicks! lol Maybe if you had an area you could just get 3-5 out at a time on something in the room that brooder is in. We done that a couple times today, the silkies are frightened of everything besides the first one I hatched.
Anyway I could ramble on all night about them I think, I should get us ready for bed. I hope I wake up to the white silkie hatched, as much as I love doing this that rir chick dying took a lot out of me today and I hope I don't see anymore problems with the rest of the chicks now. I'm really beginning to think a broody is the way to go, WHEW!!! Like having a newborn all over again, the amount of care, worry, stress lol!!

In a few days when all is hatched and fluffed up I plan to do pics of just the silkies together and rirs together. :)

Nope not yet, still can hear some faint chirping, can see some egg rocking but the pip hasn't changed in hours...It's been pipped over 12hours so tomorrow night I will probably start making calls on what to do if it still hasn't hatched by then. Keeping fingers crossed it will hatch over night though! No other pips going on, nothing else going on in any of the other eggs, I got each out and penciled the air cells on each of them. I read the assisted hatch article on here and found this was a good idea to do for any future assisting. I really don't think any of them are alive though, I removed one egg because It apparently was bad after all, the contents look disgusting inside and before all I could see was FULL so thought well, if its full might be full of chick!

I understand not spending enough time with them, sometimes I feel like everyone and everything is pulling me every which way! But, as a family I think they will get enough human interaction, I hope lol I notice just making constant appearances and sticking my hand down in I have several chicks coming to check me out land as the day progresses a chick or two more is coming to check me out. The one RIR we are in love with I think would happily live out here with me lol He takes off flying towards my hand and will jump on it, its hilarious. I can put him close to my chest or have him in my hands and he will fall to sleep quickly.
I can't imagine making time to hold 18 chicks! lol Maybe if you had an area you could just get 3-5 out at a time on something in the room that brooder is in. We done that a couple times today, the silkies are frightened of everything besides the first one I hatched.
Anyway I could ramble on all night about them I think, I should get us ready for bed. I hope I wake up to the white silkie hatched, as much as I love doing this that rir chick dying took a lot out of me today and I hope I don't see anymore problems with the rest of the chicks now. I'm really beginning to think a broody is the way to go, WHEW!!! Like having a newborn all over again, the amount of care, worry, stress lol!!

In a few days when all is hatched and fluffed up I plan to do pics of just the silkies together and rirs together. :)

You have done great, and hoping for that last little silkie to come out tonight! I had a buff hatch day 22. We did eggtopsies on eggs way back when we had a broody, and a couple under her that didn't hatch. I didn't want to do it, but my husband did, and as sad as it was, it was amazing to see how they are folded up in there. The kids (who I homeschool) were facinated with it. I don't need to do it again....makes me too sad, but it was interesting to do it the one time. Good idea to take a few at a time! I am trying to spend time with my Garry babies in the lower coop too. They are still stand offish and squeel like crazy when I pick them up, but will settle down after a minute. My dogs make me crazy when I hold the chicks - they shake and drool and just act like they are going to pass out. That's what I get for having a spaniel mix...bird dogs.... LOL!

Have a good night!

You have done great, and hoping for that last little silkie to come out tonight! I had a buff hatch day 22. We did eggtopsies on eggs way back when we had a broody, and a couple under her that didn't hatch. I didn't want to do it, but my husband did, and as sad as it was, it was amazing to see how they are folded up in there. The kids (who I homeschool) were facinated with it. I don't need to do it again....makes me too sad, but it was interesting to do it the one time. Good idea to take a few at a time! I am trying to spend time with my Garry babies in the lower coop too. They are still stand offish and squeel like crazy when I pick them up, but will settle down after a minute. My dogs make me crazy when I hold the chicks - they shake and drool and just act like they are going to pass out. That's what I get for having a spaniel mix...bird dogs.... LOL!

Have a good night!

Yea, eggtopsies are not for me, I have looked at them and read about them many times online and seen the pics, that's enough for me.
My boston terrier has been really good around the chicks, but when I hold them and they start chirping loudly then he will start to shake too. We are trying to keep the chickens a 'positive' experience for him, I'm trying to get him to accept them without thinking they are little chicken nuggets lol I did get one out on the floor last night and he layed and watched it, I had one in my hand and let him get as close as he wanted and of course he walks up and just barely touches it with his tongue lol I thought it was odd. We keep the room closed with the chicks in it though, so I don't have to worry he will go in for a midnight snack.
Aww to the garry silkies, do you have any other really friendly chickens? I hope ours will be, I don't know if I would be able to keep a 'truly' mean chicken. But, I'm hoping our silkies will be as friendly as I've read online, I know I will have to put a lot of time in with them to get them that way.

Oh and the white silkie in the incubator is hatching NOW.. :)

Last edited:
My humidity dropped last night and had a silkie pip at the wrong end (bottom) It had been trying a while so I told myself if it hadn't hatched by the time I dropped off my son at school and got some things for easter then I was going in to find out the problem. Well, You would have never seen the wrong end pip unless you picked the egg up, But by this time the chick is completely STUCK in the egg. I can see that the chick itself isn't COMPLETELY dry but the membrane of the egg is and the poor little thing is screaming away. I upped the humidity and wrapped the egg all but where his beak is in a paper towel that had been wet with warm water, up the temp just by .1 degrees and added some more water to get the humidity up just a little more and just waiting it out for a little bit right now. There is no chipping away at the egg, i can tell it could result in a hurt chick, so just trying my best to wait and listen to his little calls for help. I think I can get him out ok, but not sure that he will make it, what a stress for him/her!

Back
Top Bottom