Silkies Of A Different Color

Hello,

I'm wondering what all of you Silkie experts might consider these colors?

1. This bird is not quite white (more cream?). Some variation of partridge?

2 & 3. This bird has always looked lavender but with some light buff in its crest and a little on the body. I originally thought Isabel or lavender, but a few weeks ago it started showing spots... Is this a splash? Do they have that cream/buff color on them?

This one would be good to breed for columbian.

These look splash; yes, you can have red leakage on splash; it is a DQ.

Who will have eggs available next spring? What colors? Please pm me your info so I can reach you when the time comes thanks everyone for your dedication to these beautiful birds I myself am a proud momma of blue, splash, buff, and porcelain bearded silkies. Bearded are my favorite:)

I was wondering about the Columbian. Should I try to find a Columbian or breed to a specific color? White?
i think the reason no ones responded to your question, is because no one really knows for sure? unless you happened to find another unrelated silkie columbian to breed to? and even then most likely would not bred true right away.

they are very new color for silkies and and still need lots of work. but i think they are very worth the work.

its a lovely pattern on silkies, ideally a clear white with large solid black tail, black collar and wing tips.
what could be better?

when looking for a mate for you single columbian silkie, white might not be your best choice. u would most likely end up with all white chicks. black is a good neutral starting point i've heard. but I've been using silver partridge or gray hens with my Colombian roo and in the 3 generation i am starting to see more positive results out of the 20 or so chicks hatched out this year about 5 look like they are good solid Colombian in color. but most of thoughts are sizzles.

hopefully every year i will get one step closer to perfect columbian silkie loveliness ;)

What color would this be considered?And does the brownish red on his wings mean male?

Last edited:
Does anyone have pics of a columbian? I have one,a roo.

Yes, I have a couple. I sold my best boy to a new chicken friend. This is he:

This is another boy I have:

What color would this be considered?And does the brownish red on his wings mean male?

I think I would guess silver partridge. Why do you think this is a "he"? I really think this one looks girly I clicked on the pictures to make them larger but don't see the brown you are talking about. A copper or rust color shows up on the shoulders and wings of the boys. Let me see if I can rustle up a picture of what I am talking about.

i think the reason no ones responded to your question, is because no one really knows for sure? unless you happened to find another unrelated silkie columbian to breed to? and even then most likely would not bred true right away.

they are very new color for silkies and and still need lots of work. but i think they are very worth the work.

its a lovely pattern on silkies, ideally a clear white with large solid black tail, black collar and wing tips.
what could be better?

when looking for a mate for you single columbian silkie, white might not be your best choice. u would most likely end up with all white chicks. black is a good neutral starting point i've heard. but I've been using silver partridge or gray hens with my Colombian roo and in the 3 generation i am starting to see more positive results out of the 20 or so chicks hatched out this year about 5 look like they are good solid Colombian in color. but most of thoughts are sizzles.

hopefully every year i will get one step closer to perfect columbian silkie loveliness ;)
Pictures please!!!! Theresa are any female and if so is your good coloring showing on those also?

I think I would guess silver partridge. Why do you think this is a "he"? I really think this one looks girly I clicked on the pictures to make them larger but don't see the brown you are talking about. A copper or rust color shows up on the shoulders and wings of the boys. Let me see if I can rustle up a picture of what I am talking about.

oh ok, now I see what you are talking about! so you think hen?

Last edited:
Pictures please!!!! Theresa are any female and if so is your good coloring showing on those also?
So glad u asked
yippiechickie.gif
here's two that i'm hopeing are girls???

the older one is starting to show a small amount of black coming in on her neck. i know the picture doesn't show it well.

both seem to have nice contrast from black to white with only a touch of gray.

Back
Top Bottom