Silky that had tapeworm...when shoud I let her join the flock?

portianaomi

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
West Sacramento
I bought a partridge silky hen from a vet over a month ago. Upon bringing the lil cutie home, I noticed that she had a mild case of mites and tapeworm
hmm.png
The vet offered to take her back and said that she doesn't usually treat for tapeworm (!?!), but I am attached to this sweet chick and I couldn't have her go back to a life full of tapeworm and mites.

I treated her for the mites with Sevin, which are now gone and I also treated her for the tapeworm with Albendazole. I no longer see any sign of the worms in her scat (for about a week solid now), but I'm worried there still might be viable eggs or some piece of worm I'm not seeing still hanging on. I did read however, that the tapeworm needs an intermediate host such as a beetle/worm/ant/slug/snail/termite to be transmitted to the chicken. Is that true?

The hen, Artemis, tells me frequently that she would really like to go scratch and preen with my other three bantams in the yard. I would love to make it so, but I just can't expose them to tapeworm until I know for sure that it is dead and gone from her system.

Any thoughts/advice?

43270_img_0535.jpg

Last edited:
Adding this just to make sure that I'm following the rules:
tongue.png

1) What type of bird , age and weight: silkie, ~8 months, not sure of weight, but plump
2) What is the behavior, exactly: normal and spunky
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: see above
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: no, the bird had not been added to my flock
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: yes, see above
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: yes, a lot and normally
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc: normal, except for the worms that now seem to be gone.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far: see above
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet: see above
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help: done.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: she is currently being kept in a cage alone with shavings in the bottom. She has organic layer pellets, water, oyster shell, and treats of various sorts 2x per day.

Yikes, and here I thought the worms were species specific
idunno.gif
Your poor pups! I'll take your advice on the treatments for sure.
big_smile.png

I just took the fecal samples to the vet and she said that Artemis is clear of tapeworm BUT my other chicken, Phoebe, has pin worm
barnie.gif

Well, it will be no egg-eating around here for ~month
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom