Silver Laced Wyandotte - Rooster?

Sunnyducks

Chirping
May 1, 2016
Hi All,

I have a little silver laced Wyandotte, now about 20 weeks though the breeder's set up was so chaotic that I'm taking her word for how old this chick was when I got it - he's now older but still no sign of a tail, and wattles aren't very big, though he's pretty red. I need to decide what to do with him urgently if indeed he is a he as I can't risk a roo in town.. is there much doubt? Grateful for your thoughts. Thank you very much in advance.

If the age is correct (or even close - say 16+weeks), there is not much concern about this bird being a cockerel, imo. Looks like a pretty pullet approaching the point of lay.

Thank you, that gives me hope! I posted photos about 6 weeks ago when I'd had him a week or two and I estimated he was 12-14 weeks by then; the breeder didn't have any real clue and thought it had been 12-14 weeks when I'd first bought it. It coloured up a lot in the next week or two and I began to get suspicious. The forum's opinion at that time was that he was probably a roo. However, his wattles and comb haven't developed in colour or size at all in these last few weeks, hence me asking again. But I think he does have to be over 16 weeks by now, even if the breeder was way out in her guesstimate.

I don't see any definite pointed saddle feathers (which would be male signs), but somehow "it" still looks cockerelish to me.

Yes, he definitely has a masculine expression on his face, but like you say, no pointy saddle feathers. I'm too much of a novice still to have much confidence in my own opinion so I'm grateful for yours :)

Thank you - my only comment is that the comb was red like this about 5-6 weeks ago, hence my dilemma :( I appreciate you thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom