Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics
[/URL]
Just wanted to show you guys that you were correct and that Dottie is clearly now a young rooster. Also, after your inputs we decided to keep him, crowing and all. He is so gorgeous and we love him to bits,even though he will randomly deliver evil pecks on the hands feeding him. LOL
Nice! Crowing don't bother me, I like to hear it... most of the time.
big_smile.png

Hope he turns into a nice rooster for you.... I peck them back, if it's in evil deliberate peck!
old.gif
They may get a couple chances but they better not give me the stink eye...no room for tolerance at my house...
droolin.gif

Handsome young cockerel.
love.gif

Nice! Crowing don't  bother me, I like to hear it... most of the time. :D

Hope he turns into a nice rooster for you.... I peck them back, if it's in evil deliberate peck! :old  They may get a couple chances but they better not give me the stink eye...no room for tolerance at my house... :drool   

Handsome young cockerel. :love

Aaawww thanks for replying again, it was mostly your very funny inputs that swayed me to keep him! Keep well!

I have four 6 wk old SLW they all look basically exactly the same. But my friend is buying two from me and she can't have any roos, so I need to be sure.

They are 3 days short of being 7 wks, and they all feathered out exactly the same too, none of them were slower than the rest.

Last edited:
They are 3 days short of being 7 wks, and they all feathered out exactly the same too, none of them were slower than the rest.
That's pretty normal.

On very rare occasion I will get one with a slow tail, that so far has NEVER lied about being male. Have one I'm waiting to see if the tail tells the truth yet again or not, but I think so. My flock is about 50 and I've raised over 100 birds. Maybe only 3 or 4 of those had the slow tail/shoulder feathering.

Most of my male and females feather in at the same rate, so that really is not a good indicator. For example, I will select against... or not breed forward the slow tail.

But let me describe the indicater for laced varieties....

The wing will be nice beautiful clear lacing on females. On males there will be a barring, mottling, or splotchiness near the top of the wings, depends on how you want to describe it. Or the black part of the lacing is allowing the other color to run together kind of.

And yep, 7 out of 9 from my last hatch (not SLW) were male.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have a SLW, in the picture is 4-5 weeks, has a straight comb (yes I know they are "flawed") I was told it could still be a pullet, because with SLWs they both have red combs and wattles at a young age, just males are bigger. What are your thoughts with this one

Attachments

• IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 17
Now 13 weeks old. Still think cockerel? Not much comb or waddle has formed.

Attachments

• IMG_7669.JPG
    IMG_7669.JPG
    868.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7671.JPG
    IMG_7671.JPG
    510 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7672.JPG
    IMG_7672.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 16
I have a SLW, in the picture is 4-5 weeks, has a straight comb (yes I know they are "flawed") I was told it could still be a pullet, because with SLWs they both have red combs and wattles at a young age, just males are bigger. What are your thoughts with this one

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow
I also ended up with a straight comb GLW. Apparently some breeders keep them in their stock to combat some issue with the breeding (can't remember what). Honestly she was prettier than the others. :love

I will be highly shocked if that's a girl...

Back
Top Bottom