Silver Laced Wyandotte SLW Rooster Progeny Grow Along

buckock

Songster
Dec 10, 2021
Amelia, Virginia
I thought it would be fun to share some photos and progress as these chicks move from egg to chick and along. We have a Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster who's about a year old and a young flock of eight hens. They include 2 SLW, 1GLW, 2 Golden Comets, and 3 White Leghorns. I collected 20 eggs November 20-24 and incubated 21 in a brand new Nurture Right 360 incubator (NR 360). Of the 21, 1 was a yolker, and 4 quit between day 5 and 14. Of the 16 that made it to lockdown, all 16 hatched December 14-15th, 2021. As the eggs from the hens are uniquely colored (white, brown, and beige), it's possible to tell which chicks are the products of which matches. To a point, that is, because the SLW and the GLW eggs were the same color. Today is the second day after hatch and it's a challenge to get photos of the little peckers but I've done my best to provide photos of the rooster, egg donors, and little peckers.

My question for everyone here is: Does anyone know how to sex baby Wyandotte chicks? It looks like the wing feathers are growing much faster on the mixed chicks (which makes since Leghorn and Golden Comet both mature quickly), but is this a good way to sex Wyandottes? Also, does anyone know what cross breeds between Wyandottes have produced? It would be great to get a fast maturing bird with some of the Wyandotte's meat qualities; however, it is also just as likely I'll get a slow growing skinny bird. Regardless, they are super cute!

Of the Wyandotte chicks, they're much of a muchness with some lighter and other darker. I don't know if our SLW rooster has a hidden gold gene but if any of the babies end up gold, we'll know. One of the Wyandotte chicks (nicknamed Omelet because she was would have ended up as breakfast if I hadn't needed another egg to fill the 'bator) has a pale buff down and distinct white, beige, and brown back Motley flock.jpg Jubal.jpg IMG_5787.JPG IMG_5804.JPG IMG_5814.JPG IMG_5812.JPG stripes. Her first pin wing feathers appear much darker.

The golden comet and white leghorns are all white. Four of them have black spots, which makes me think that they might be the leghorn cross. Otherwise, they look the same.

And before anyone asks, there's no chance of funny dad business. Jubal is our first (and only) Rooster and we don't have neighbors with chickens!

Silver over gold would be sexlinked males would be silver and females would be gold but would be hard to pick them out if some of the eggs where slw eggs as those would be either sex anything bred to a leghorn chicks will be white with black but as for the comets those could be either as ive hatched 3 from a sex link hen two where white with one laced feather and one was all half laced and looked like a wyandotte with one copy lacing

Silver over gold would be sexlinked males would be silver and females would be gold but would be hard to pick them out if some of the eggs where slw eggs as those would be either sex anything bred to a leghorn chicks will be white with black but as for the comets those could be either as ive hatched 3 from a sex link hen two where white with one laced feather and one was all half laced and looked like a wyandotte with one copy lacing
Thanks. Interesting comment about the Golden Comets. All of these are white with some buff around the neck which may feather out white, methinks. I thought the offspring would only be sexlinked if the rooster was GLW since silver is the dominant color and would be expressed in all the chicks. Of the 10 Wyandotte chicks, all are silver.

Back
Top Bottom