Silverudd's Blue

Pics
:D Yeah I never ended up posting what they were- life got busy lol. I ended up with 2 pullets
(a blue and a splash)View attachment 2104722View attachment 2104723
Then the other 4 were roosters- 1 blue and 3 splash. The splash pullet was the one that as a chick had almost no blue splashes she was pretty much just white but her color came in slowly and now I think she’s beautiful. So it ended up being pretty easy to tell the males and females apart from a very young age. I love my 2 girls and the splash should be laying here soon, they both have dark eyes and are so cute. I’m not crazy about the splash Roos- they all have lighter eyes then I wanted and the blue roo has a spur on his comb so I’m not sure I want to use him for breeding- but they are all pretty sweet. I am trying to find some first imports to hatch now

Do you have pics of the cockerels when they were older like 5 or 6 weeks? Is that when you definitely knew?

Do you have pics of the cockerels when they were older like 5 or 6 weeks? Is that when you definitely knew?
Sorry I looked and I don’t have any pics at that age(I had another batch of chicks hatch around then so all the pics were of the cute new baby chicks lol. But yes by 5 weeks I knew for sure which were cockerels, their combs and wattles were bigger then the 2 pullets by far and they stood taller then the pullets. It was very obvious by then. Do you have some that age? You could post pics

Understandable! I bought only one chick and really having a hard time comparing. I am leaning towards roo, sadly. I just took this pic, and (s)he’s 4 1/2 weeks.

Attachments

• 0EF9F37F-D954-447F-8315-A20625DDB9B0.jpeg
    0EF9F37F-D954-447F-8315-A20625DDB9B0.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 16

This was mine around 6 weeks starting to show some pink and waddle and then by 8 weeks was fully obvious roo. At 5 weeks I still thought it was a pullet with no pink and a fairly similar comb as the others. So give it a couple weeks and you’ll know!

Attachments

• 78169C66-C145-4DAB-9B21-F36495F37633.jpeg
    78169C66-C145-4DAB-9B21-F36495F37633.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 84BAFC72-26D2-4BA9-B9D7-9587497512E9.jpeg
    84BAFC72-26D2-4BA9-B9D7-9587497512E9.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 15
Understandable! I bought only one chick and really having a hard time comparing. I am leaning towards roo, sadly. I just took this pic, and (s)he’s 4 1/2 weeks.

Boo, quite likely roo! I didn’t want a rooster either but now I’ve hatched some of the cutest babies from him;)

Ok, well having just one would make it harder to know with nothing to compare it to. I’m also going to say yours is a cockerel- but he’s really cute lol! So far my Cockerels are not at all aggressive and are pretty to look at;) But I know we’d all rather have lots of pretty hens. I’m getting 10 Silverudds Blue eggs shipped on Monday(first imports) so I’m super excited but I’m actually hoping to get some nice roosters from this batch lol I’ll try to remember to post pics of the eggs and the hatch

Ok, well having just one would make it harder to know with nothing to compare it to. I’m also going to say yours is a cockerel- but he’s really cute lol! So far my Cockerels are not at all aggressive and are pretty to look at;) But I know we’d all rather have lots of pretty hens. I’m getting 10 Silverudds Blue eggs shipped on Monday(first imports) so I’m super excited but I’m actually hoping to get some nice roosters from this batch lol I’ll try to remember to post pics of the eggs and the hatch
😱 How many do you have? I’m close to my coop max and these babies go $20 straight run here, so I only bought one. Plus, with the social distancing, I don’t even get to pick; the seller picks for me. My first 5 babies were cockerels, and I started buying pullets and hens for awhile. I read that SB roos have a great temperament, so I’m good for now!

😱 How many do you have? I’m close to my coop max and these babies go $20 straight run here, so I only bought one. Plus, with the social distancing, I don’t even get to pick; the seller picks for me. My first 5 babies were cockerels, and I started buying pullets and hens for awhile. I read that SB roos have a great temperament, so I’m good for now!
Lol I have 6 SB right now but 3 of the cockerels are getting sold, so I’ll just have a trio. But I’m just getting eggs, so 10 eggs that have been shipped I’ll be lucky to get 5 chicks out of it and then if it’s like my last hatch there will be lots of boys so I won’t end up with very many but it still works out way cheaper for me to buy eggs versus buying chicks.

Yes, I think with that much comb, that pink, at that age, and the wattles coming in you do have a male, and he is going to be pretty!

Complements to all of you for maintaining those beautiful DARK eyes! That's one of the hallmarks of SB to my way of thinking. Keep up the good work. Preserve this breed-- they are fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom