Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Wow that sound like quite an undertaking on all of the above! Can you post pictures of the rabbits and horses that you are looking for? Also American Saddlebred horses are beautiful. I hope you find what you are looking for. Are rabbit breeders registered like people who breed dogs and horses and such? Can you contact one of the 'fanciers' of that breed? I'm sure you have thought about all of this already but I hope you can find someone. Let us know how your search goes. We have breeders of Halflingers (sp) up here by Canada and they are a cream small draft type with blonde/white manes and tails. They are gorgeous horses for sure.

American Cream Draft Horse

Not only are they beautiful like the mythical white horses in children's fairytales, they are a hardy and friendly working breed.

Blue American Rabbit

The rabbit was originally known as the German Blue Vienna, but the name was changed due to WWI. The Blue Vienna rabbit was part of the foundation stock used to create this breed and looks similar, but more pale. They are difficult to locate photographs of, as they fell out of favor when the fur industry in America collapsed at the onset of WWII.

Creme d'Argent Rabbit

It is born a deeper, brighter, rich orange and then pales into a creamy butterscotch color as it grows older.

American Chinchilla Rabbit

Just look at that rich bunny backside! Like the name suggests, they were bred to resemble more expensive Chinchilla fur. Their coats are rich, thick, dense and fluffy. All of the rabbits on my to purchase list are dual purpose breeds for meat and fur. They are also endangered heritage breeds that are listed on The Livestock Conservancy's list of breeds in need of preservation.

White Dorking Chicken

Lays white eggs and is an old breed, established in America prior to 1850.

American Saddlebred Horse

A horse with a rich coat that was rode by some of the most famous Generals in history. Even today, this is an extremely popular breed. This is truly the horse owners horse. There is no horse better for what I like to term 'joy riding' than the American Saddlebred.

Cotton Patch Goose

They are the breed of choice to weed not just cotton patches, but tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries and other similarly leafed plants. They also have quite the amusing personality.

Standard Bronze Turkey

A truly old breed of turkey. When you think of Thanksgiving, this is the turkey that springs to mind, along with a cornucopia.

Gloucestershire Old Spots Pig

No farm would be complete without Wilbur... Charlottes are not welcome.

Gulf Coast Sheep

I'm unsure of their wool and milking capabilities, but they are beautiful and in need of conservation breeders. I am going to attempt to create a unique new cheese from their milk in the hopes of increasing their popularity and market value.

East Friesian Sheep

A milk producing breed from Northern Germany. Far from being endangered, this breed is known for producing a large quantity of milk. My dairy sheep of choice.

White Indian Runner Duck

They are so cute. They are prolific layers. Ducks were not generally kept until post 1850, so deciding on a breed is difficult. However, the personality of these ducks, along with their slug eating capabilities makes them a good choice. I'm still a bit undecided on the matter of breed and I might change my mind, but these seem like they would be a really good fit.

Holstein Friesian Cattle

Moo! When you think of a dairy cow, you think of this beauty. Not endangered and highly popular.

These animals will form my ideal farm.

I am undecided on a brown egg laying chicken, I want Wheaten Araucanas for my blue egg layers but am having trouble finding stock. If I can not find a breed confirmed to be in America prior to 1850, I go for endangered breeds that interest me or default to German breeds as a matter of preference.

I am also undecided on goats and maybe even some asses, although I am not sure how I can put the latter to use on the farm, however, I am going for the 'complete' farm style set up.

Last edited:
I became interested in these breeds because I realized that the things I want to do in life are not compatible with the lifestyle that is pushed as the mainstream ideal of today.

Today, we take on debt to buy cars and homes and pay off college. Both parents work, the children suffer through dangerous public schools and our elderly are tossed aside in nursing homes like they are disposable and we have nothing to show for it. Most die in debt and their children repeat that crushing cycle of poverty.

I want the life my Great Grandparents and even older than that had. I want to own my own home, to be able to provide fresh food for me and my family instead of being forced to be grateful to spend $5 for a pair of GMO laced apples down at Wal-Mart. I do not want to be a burden to my children and grandchildren. I want to ensure that they have a good inheritance and are well provided for and that I do not have to slave away at work instead of being able to settle down and raise a family as nature intended because the cycle we have now is not natural or healthy and the results in our society speak for themselves.

I have always been interested in rare breeds, even as a child, but now I have the opportunity to raise them and participate in the things in life that are pleasing to me.

Sometimes, I feel like a little old lady trapped in a young lady's body. I'm not really sure how else to describe it, but I know that what is expected of young women today is nothing that I want for myself or my children.

I became interested in these breeds because I realized that the things I want to do in life are not compatible with the lifestyle that is pushed as the mainstream ideal of today.

Today, we take on debt to buy cars and homes and pay off college. Both parents work, the children suffer through dangerous public schools and our elderly are tossed aside in nursing homes like they are disposable and we have nothing to show for it. Most die in debt and their children repeat that crushing cycle of poverty.

I want the life my Great Grandparents and even older than that had. I want to own my own home, to be able to provide fresh food for me and my family instead of being forced to be grateful to spend $5 for a pair of GMO laced apples down at Wal-Mart. I do not want to be a burden to my children and grandchildren. I want to ensure that they have a good inheritance and are well provided for and that I do not have to slave away at work instead of being able to settle down and raise a family as nature intended because the cycle we have now is not natural or healthy and the results in our society speak for themselves.

I have always been interested in rare breeds, even as a child, but now I have the opportunity to raise them and participate in the things in life that are pleasing to me.

Sometimes, I feel like a little old lady trapped in a young lady's body. I'm not really sure how else to describe it, but I know that what is expected of young women today is nothing that I want for myself or my children.
At whatever your age is, it is a wonderful thing to know your own mind, have your values clearly in your sights, and the heart and gumption to go for it. Good for you. I will be a fan from a distance in your life goals, they are good ones in my eyes. I hope you achieve them the world will be better for it.

At whatever your age is, it is a wonderful thing to know your own mind, have your values clearly in your sights, and the heart and gumption to go for it. Good for you. I will be a fan from a distance in your life goals, they are good ones in my eyes. I hope you achieve them the world will be better for it.

You are too kind. :)

The only trouble is that it is hard to find available gentlemen who share the same lifestyle interests as more than just an occasional weekend hobby.

It also seems as if I forgot to answer the question about rabbit breeders.

Rabbits are registered with the American Rabbit Breeders Association and there are clubs to promote the breed. The trouble is that the rabbits are generally all related, because they almost became extinct. There were at least 40 breeds that became extinct when the rabbit fur market collapsed at the onset of WWII. The White American Rabbit was considered extinct until just recently when a surviving group was discovered in Canada, which had been sold under the belief they were another breed of rabbit altogether!

Those that have these rabbits are not keen on selling them due to the risk of something happening to their rabbits and then them being unable to replace them because the stock, let alone grand champion breeding stock just is not there.

I believe the statistics are that there are around 300-400 of the Blue American Rabbits left. American Chinchillas are in a similar situation with only around 80 registrations last year.

These breeds need help or they will perish and it would be a tragedy.

American Chinchillas are a foundation breed for many varieties. The Blue American can not be replicated because one of the five known breeds to create it is extinct, as well as the fact that the methods to create it were kept secret. Creme d'Argents are said to be down to 1,000 or so globally and it's method of creation is also unknown.

It is my hope to obtain enough stock of the best quality available in order to increase their numbers and to play a vital role in getting these beauties removed from The Livestock Conservancy's lists.

Rabbits are small, beautiful and their manure is gardening gold. Their furs are top quality for various purposes and they reach market weight quickly. For me, it is my aim to take these rabbits, get them registered and to have them become Grand Champions. Furthermore, I hope to create Gold Pedigree Grand Champion stock, which belongs to rabbits who's parents, grandparents and great grandparents are all Grand Champions as well as themselves.

These are all show worthy rabbits, but because white rabbits are preferred for medical testing (Not a chance in the bluest you know what would I ever sell any animal to that industry!) and for the fur industry, who likes to take white rabbit fur and dye it to look like more expensive varieties, they are considered unmarketable. In a way, I am grateful for the lack of attention to these rabbits from those industries.

However, I would also like to try and shatter Edward H. Stahl's record as being the only person to ever make a million dollars from the sale of rabbit breeding stock.

Last edited:
I became interested in these breeds because I realized that the things I want to do in life are not compatible with the lifestyle that is pushed as the mainstream ideal of today.

Oh my! A lady after my own heart!!! I wondered if I'd ever find someone else out there who feels like I do. I also am an old lady in a young body. My dad lives with me. We live off our vegetable garden, venison, and fish we catch. Plus of course our own eggs. I make & can my own jams. I'm currently trying to increase the fruit in my yard. Unfortunately I only have an acre, but at least I'm in the country. Im hopeful that someday I'll have a real working farm.

I have now decided not to buy any meat from the store. I want to get to the place where I buy very few items from the store. All our food in america is gmo and salt and sugar, processed to where there is no nutritional value left. I believe there is a better quality of life living off the land. I was beginning to think no one else thought this way.

Back
Top Bottom