Six by 8 coop plans?

Pics

Demonaca

Chirping
Feb 2, 2021
North Georgia
Hi I'm looking for ideas or plans for a coop that's 6 foot tall, 6 foot wide and 8 foot long I'm expanding my flock and need to build a bigger coop, I purchased a prefab the first time around and just can find one large enough that wouldn't just be cheaper to build lol
Just a coop as I free range and already have a run with the current coop. I have an idea in mind but I'm not sure if the idea will work when actual construction comes in to play lol this will be the first thing I've ever built like this before so the easier to under the better!
Thank you in advance from my flock!

Hi I'm looking for ideas or plans for a coop that's 6 foot tall, 6 foot wide and 8 foot long I'm expanding my flock and need to build a bigger coop, I purchased a prefab the first time around and just can find one large enough that wouldn't just be cheaper to build lol
Just a coop as I free range and already have a run with the current coop. I have an idea in mind but I'm not sure if the idea will work when actual construction comes in to play lol this will be the first thing I've ever built like this before so the easier to under the better!
Thank you in advance from my flock!
So then are you jist looking for a 6x8 "box" or one with a run? I might have some (poorly sketched and detailed) plans if you want

I may have missed it, but did you say how many chickens you will be increasing to?

From my personal experience, I built an 8x10 elevated coop, and although that’s sufficient for the maximum number of chickens we would have, I wish I would have gone bigger, even just by a little. Especially since space already turned out to be an issue for your goals of expanding! If you’re already building a bigger coop, bumping up to an 8x10 gives you options down the road... be it to expand your flock once more, or incorporate storage or brooding space. Just something I wish I would have considered!!!

Also, as far as ideas/plans, what type of environment are you in? What’s the terrain like? What’s the weather like? I’d love help brainstorm!

:welcome :frowI don't free range anymore due to losses from predators in the past but I do have large pens for the birds. First how many birds do you have? I have several coops and they are all different. I would build larger than you think you will need. The size of the run you are planning is a nice size. My total space for my pens is 60'x200'. It is all covered with good heavy duty netting due to losses in the past from hawks and owls. Please post some pictures. Also where you live would be helpful. Maybe they will give you some Ideas. Also BYC has their coop section with a lot of different styles of coops.
Here are some of my coops. I have a couple more I use for my chicks/grow-out and another for if I need to isolate any birds.
IMG_20190302_104317.jpg
IMG_20190302_104435.jpg

This picture was taken many years ago. We added more coops since it was taken.
2014-03-04 16.25.14.jpg
IMG_20180503_093926.jpg

this will be the first thing I've ever built like this before so the easier to under the better!

Go to the "Articles" tab at the top of the screen and look under coops. There are hundreds of ideas there, many with decent plans on how to build them.

Go to the library and check out books on how to build a shed. You may want to buy one but read it first to see if it helps. Not sure where you are located but here in the US Home Depot or Lowe's often have booklets or magazines that tell you step by step how to build a shed. That can include how to make the joints, that's the hardest part. You can do this but it can be pretty intimidating if you don't know how. Once you start to build it's generally a lot easier than you fear.

One issue may be tools. If you are not used to building things you may not have good tools. I suggest using screws instead of hammer and nails. To me it is easier construction, especially if you have some relatively flimsy members. Just use pilot holes to get the screws started. That's one of the harder things, there are little tricks like pilot holes you might not know about that can make it a lot easier. It is easier to take back apart and redo if you use screws.

If you are buying all new materials most come in standard sizes of 4' or 8', at least in the US. If you design around those dimensions you can usually save a lot on waste and cut less. Just easier construction. A 6' x 8' coop isn't that bad. You'll have to cut paneling or plywood and an eight feet long 2x4 but the cut-offs can often be used for nests or such.

You need a slope on the roof so water can run off. And you need to be able to stand up in there. A 6x8 is too big to reach in from the outside and reach everywhere. So make one of the 8' long walls 6' high and the other long wall 8' high. That should give you enough slope and height. That also gives you enough room in an 8' long piece of lumber or paneling or plywood so you can have overhang, which gives you a great spot for ventilation up high. Just do not have the slope where the water runs off of it into your run to try to keep the run dry and do not put a door where that water will run off on you as you enter. Same thought for the nests if you gather eggs from the outside. In a 6 x 8 I would not do that, instead put your nests inside so you can gather eggs inside. That makes construction easier.

If you’re already building a bigger coop, bumping up to an 8x10 gives you options down the road
We were planning to make the new coop 8x16. We staked it out on the ground and stood inside the space then DH said "This looks smaller than it did on paper."

Can you lay out your new coop with flags ,chalk, marking tape, or whatever so that you can stand in it and see if it seems likely to work the way you have in mind?

We were planning to make the new coop 8x16. We staked it out on the ground and stood inside the space then DH said "This looks smaller than it did on paper."

Can you lay out your new coop with flags ,chalk, marking tape, or whatever so that you can stand in it and see if it seems likely to work the way you have in mind?

Thats great advice. Really getting to see the size will help... but even then, once the walls go up and it all closes in, it feels smaller than you thought 😂

Back
Top Bottom