size

I didn't do it

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
hi i have a coop that is 4wx12Lx6.5H and a run that is about 6.5wx24Lx6h but my chickens free range about half the day. i was wondering how many chickens i could keep in this coop. also would this be suitible for oegs or red jungal fowl

Last edited:
Sounds like a great size for about 12 birds... that way they'd each have around 4 sq feet inside and 12 sq feet outside. If they free range a lot like you say, you might be able to have a few more, but if you have cold winters where they'll be confined inside a lot out of the weather, they may start to feel crowded... depends on where you are, what your climate is like.

As to OEG and Red Jungle Fowl, i do know those birds are less tolerant of confinement than say, many dual purpose breeds like Orpingtons or Wyandottes, but I don't have any personal experience with them. My feeling is that you'd be safe with 12.

I hestitate to ask this--because as someone else has said so well, this list is not a place in which you encounter a lot of restraint
big_smile.png
--but how many did you want? Is 12 what you were thinking? (Or maybe I should just ask how many did you think you'd be able to have with your current set up, seeing as how asking "how many do you want" is likely to get me an answer of "eleventy-one dozen!"

lol.png

thnxs i have 12 birds 3 orpingtons 4 sex links 2 leghorns and 1 delaware and 1 male RI. would it be okay to get 5 cochins since i let them range around alot and i live in socal so we have not winter. if that is to crowded, i have a 5x5 shed that i can attach next to the main coop and add another run

Back
Top Bottom