Sizzle?

raimnel

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 26, 2009
in Wisconsin somewhere
I have a splash silkie roo and a red frizzle cochin hen. will I get a sizzle? the breeds section says a sizzle is silkie X cochin frizzle. BUT it doesn't say which is the roo? does it matter? what color do you think I will get? smooth feathers? or silkie feathers? frizzle or not frizzle?
Lordy I can't wait till "spring"! lol

I know that any frizzle theoretically has a 50% chace of having frizzled offspring, not sure if silkied is dominant or recessive, and I have no clue when it comes to colors. Have you ever used the chicken calculator?

I know that any frizzle theoretically has a 50% chace of having frizzled offspring, not sure if silkied is dominant or recessive, and I have no clue when it comes to colors. Have you ever used the chicken calculator?

ah no! never heard of it? hmm?, I know I'M BAD at this chicken math.
gig.gif
Thanks for you input!

I hatched a bunch of Sizzle eggs recently from two different people. I got a mix of birds out of this hatch. Some look like Silkies, some look like Silkies with normal frizzle feathers, some look like smooth coat normal birds. I don't think it matters witch is the roo and witch is the hen just don't breed frizzle feather to frizzle feather.

Chris

First generation cross will show the dominant traits, but each bird will have a copy of the recessive traits as well. So, in hte first generation you will have a lot of birds that look like a sizzle.

BUT

Second generation cross of these youngsters will give results ALL OVER THE PLACE. Very few will have ALL sizzle features. This is because you will have recessives pairing up, but not all on hte same bird. One bird my end up with 4 toes, another with silkie feathering, another without black skin, another without a crest, etc. This is the generation where you need to do the most culling from your breeding pen, keeping only birds that have as many as possible of the traits you want to perpetuate, and as few undesirable traits as possible.

This is why getting sizzles that are farther along in the generations will give you much better quality of sizzles.

Black skin, crest, muffs/beards, multiple toes and frizzling are dominant traits; some of these are incompletely dominant. Silkie feathering is recessive; it is not part of the sizzle phenotype.

sexlinked means you can tell the sex at hatch but since these are not sexlinked you will not be able to tell gender until they get older

It also means that it does not matter which parent provides a gene. With sex-linked genes, mothers give them only to their sons, while fathers give them to both sons and daughters.

sexlinked means you can tell the sex at hatch but since these are not sexlinked you will not be able to tell gender until they get older

So not knowing if I have f1 birds or f2 or really anything about the parents for that matter....To try and reproduce the things I like with some of the birds that I had gotten out of my hatch, should I….. pick the birds that have the desired traits, ie feathering, skin color, feet and so on and then breed those birds with say some of the Silkies I have for coloring, skin color, feet ect ect ?

I was thinking that I would pick a male Sizzle that I have and like and breed it with some Silkie hens. Then also at the same time pick a Silkie Roo that I already have and like and breed it with some Sizzle hens in the hopes of ending up with more Sizzles. Then I would continue to selectively breed the offspring of these birds in the hopes of getting a more consistent result.

Also is it possible to get to birds that will have predictable results? And/Or, will you always have a 50-50 smooth and frizzled hatch rate?

I ask this because it was explained to me that frizzle over frizzle will give you brittle feathers. So then I was thinking that one would always have to have smooth coat birds that have all of the desired traits less the frizzled feathers to breed with frizzled birds with the desired traits.

I hope I'm making some sense to you all with my questions here,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom