Sizzle?

My plans for a Sizzle are on hold. My 11 week old Silkie is now singing a very cheery morning song so I have to round up a female first.
tongue.png

Not to sound like I am asking any of the same questions over and over….I’m just trying to get a real good understanding of all this before I move on, so please bear with me if I sound repetitive at all with any of this.

Last year I hatched a number of Sizzle and Silkie eggs that I got from different people. Out of the Sizzle eggs that I hatched, I ended up with 4 (I think) pullets. These gals….

I ended up giving all the smooth feathered birds away and kept the 4 pullets as well as a Silkie feathered roo (I think he is a roo anyway). This guy….

My original plan was to use any pure Silkie males that I end up with from my Silkie hatches over these 4 pullets (pic above). However, if I understand the above information in this thread correctly, in doing this I would end up with 25% Sizzles like the ones in the pics above of my pullets, 25% would be smooth feathered, 25% would be Silkie feathered like the roo above and 25% would be….what? I’m talking about a pure Silkie roo over a Sizzle hen, this would =…..

But, if I were to use the Silkie Feathered Sizzle roo (the one pic above) over the same 4 Sizzle pullets (in the first few pics above), I would get 50% that look like my pullets and 50% that would be feathered and look like the roo. Is this correct?

If so it would be wise to keep any Sizzles I get with the Silkie feathering and try to breed Sizzle (Silkie feathered) to Sizzle (frizzled feathered) to get a consistent 50 / 50 hatch result. Is this correct?

I hope that made since.

Thanks,
Chris

That sounds right, I used my sizzle hens with a silkie roo and got a hatch of 8 total, 3 frizzle the rest silkie look, the next hatch was a frizzle roo with sizzle hens and got 12, 8 frizzle look and the rest silkie smooth, this year I have 2 frizzle roo's and am using them with my girls.

Great, Thank you for the reply. I'm glade I kept this one roo! Until I get something better he will have to do....but I still have time, these birds are all still very young.

Chris

I have a hen that is sizzle (curly feathered) and bred her last yr to silkies only. I got:
25% curly feathered, 25% silkie feathered, 25% smooth feathered and 25% that hatch curly but changed to almost a kinky silkie feathering. the last bunch I suspect carry frizzle as i have heard people say that you can breed 2 silkies together and get a sizzle (meaning sizzle has to be in there and this kinky feathered bird could be mistaken for a silkie)

Last edited:
So I just picked up this hen from a person getting rid of all of her birds, and there were tons! I posted it on the silkie forum but was told she is a Sizzle. I was told she was a gray lace. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom