Sled dog breeding

I'm getting a male Aussie soon. He'll be my sled dog( lead) herding dog, running partner, 4-h show dog and possibly AKC junior show dog.
smile.png
www.doubleuaussies.com that's were I might be getting him or from www.silverbrookaussies.com opinions on the pups and breeders.
smile.png
I almost got Levi or Ruger. From the first breeder.

DON'T GET HIM FIXED! you can't show fixed dogs in AKC and i don't think you can race fixed dogs. Be very clear on commands and don't let any of them sound similar if he has to have that many jobs ( it sounds to me you want him to do too many things). i don't like using show dogs as sled dogs but thats just me. let me know who it works out. when you are picking out the pups you are gonna have a lot to look for, especially if you want to show and run him. Personally, i would just do 4-h, herding and running partner or just 4-h and mushing or just herding and running partner or just show and running partner or just show.
Like i said, if you want to show AKC don't mush him (or herd). you want really really skinny dogs and typically ACK doesn't approve the weight.
sad.png
There are to many things that can go wrong having a dog show, herd and mush.
Sled aren't pets or show dogs. You could do show 4-h with a sled dog ( i do) but i wouldn't recommend AKC.

Not trying to discourage or be mean, this is just how i see it.

Ok so these are the breeds and positions I'm thinking I might put them in
Lab( spayed): leader
Male pointer: team
Male sib: team
Female pointer: wheel
Female sib: wheel
It will change when I get to know my dogs( when I get them)

also you can only do rec mushing with this kind of team. dogs should be uniform to race. meaning similar breeds and sizes (at least similar breeds) like sibs and Alaskans work well together or sibs and malamutes

KC junior handling u can do fixed dogs. The sleding is to burn off energy, while playing with nala( he'll only sled IF nala is stil under this roof) herding is for my flock of 6-9 ducks, 30+ chickens. 4-h is just 3mnths( at least that's how I do it, train 3months show 4months then rest) running buddy only 3times a week. So he could do it all.

AKC junior handling u can do fixed dogs. The sleding is to burn off energy, while playing with nala( he'll only sled IF nala is stil under this roof) herding is for my flock of 6-9 ducks, 30+ chickens. 4-h is just 3mnths( at least that's how I do it, train 3months show 4months then rest) running buddy only 3times a week. So he could do it all.

just don't over whelm the dog
smile.png

I'm only gunna do Rec.
smile.png

I'm not sure if i'm gonna race or do rec

Back
Top Bottom