Slight moulting worry

Boiled Octopus

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Wiltshire, UK
My bantam hen (Puff) has seemingly been moulting for an absolute age - it must be almost three months now.

Weather is getting colder here now after a ridiculously warm September/October and she is still rather bald. Her appetite is completely normal, crop full at night, no signs of distress and is completely content and perky. Her skin is yellow and healthy, no signs of parasites. I have 3 other bantams whose plumage is looking beautiful. Puff, who is now about 3 years old, looks like a war victim with a few signs of pin feathers starting to grow back, but VERY VERY VERY slowly. My bantams get spoilt with meal worms, corn, rice and the general mixed corn.

I have heard that some chickens take a long time to grow their feathers back as it takes of lot of energy and will only do it when they really need to. She does have a few odd sprouts of feathery stuff poking out, but her chest and neck are virtually featherless.

Anything to worry about? Or anyone else had similar experiences?

Thanks.

Some definitely take longer than others. Feathers are mostly protein so a protein boost to their diet is a good idea. In the US, many people buy a game bird feed, which has a lot higher protein but not the calcium found in layer. If they aren't laying of course, that doesn't matter. If others are laying, you could just put out some oyster shell in a separate bowl. Animal sourced protein is particularly a good idea, but remember that brids are lactose intolerant.

Here's a whole article on molting:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickens-loosing-feathers-managing-your-flocks-molt

Thanks for response Judy.

Weather is getting much colder here now, and it looks like she's pushing out a few more feathers, albeit slowly. She seems perky and healthy enough, so hopefully she'll be fine...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom