slipped tendon, i think...help, advice please

piddapat

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
i hatched out 8 baby ducks this weekend. Uno was the first to hatch. he stayed in the incubator 12+ hours. it finally got too crowded so i removed the first three to a dog kennel. it was lined with a fluffly towel,folded thick and topped with paper towels. for 12+ hours they slept under their heat plate. once they were active i offered water with electrolytes, eventually added a handful of all flock raiser crumbles with niacin sprinkled on top. he was originally fine, walking and active. but by 36 hours old, one leg is pressed tight against his tummy. like its locked. his foot is cumpled and the knee can not be straightened. i watched a video on rolling the tendon back in place, but i dont feel anything pop back in place. could it be something else, or is my technique wrong?

no help? did i post in the wrong spot? id really like to help this duckling as soon as possible. he cant go his whole life scooting backwards.

i hatched out 8 baby ducks this weekend. Uno was the first to hatch. he stayed in the incubator 12+ hours. it finally got too crowded so i removed the first three to a dog kennel. it was lined with a fluffly towel,folded thick and topped with paper towels. for 12+ hours they slept under their heat plate. once they were active i offered water with electrolytes, eventually added a handful of all flock raiser crumbles with niacin sprinkled on top. he was originally fine, walking and active. but by 36 hours old, one leg is pressed tight against his tummy. like its locked. his foot is cumpled and the knee can not be straightened. i watched a video on rolling the tendon back in place, but i dont feel anything pop back in place. could it be something else, or is my technique wrong?
Sounds like a slipped tendon but only thing I can give you is this and maybe encourage a vet trip.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Sure hope you can help the lil one.

thanks. ill be taking her to neighbor for help and if that doesnt work, it will be a trip to the vet. seems like a quick fix if we dont let it linger?

Hi,

Please review this post for ideas - a good duck vet is best. Just in case - ducks have a will to live, and can be content, even with handicaps. Please don't let a well-meaning but uninformed vet convince you otherwise.

Now.

Here is the post https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/987977/successful-treatment-of-slipped-tendons-in-bantam-duckling

Also - Duckyfromoz had found that thiamine supplementation was helpful for ducklings with leg problems. So you could try giving B complex vitamins that contain thiamine. I wish I could remember the dosage. But I can tell you that if you use the B3-niacin amount as a guide, put 150 mg of B3 into a gallon of rdinking water, that should provide a good overall level of B vitamins and that may help in addition to physical treatment.

hugs.gif

i am having a hard time figuring out how to manipulate the tendon back in place. is the tendon on the inside of the leg, or the outside of the leg? tried to get pictures of my duckling....

Doesn't it run square in the center of the leg in back? and if slipped it's on either side. Never had one so just guessing from all I have read. Lil one is precious, can it extend it's leg at all? I need to go look it up.

Back
Top Bottom