Slipped tendon, splayed leg? Confused!

He's basically the same. I haven't been able to get the tendon to move back into place for the last 2 days, so I've been leaving the brace off. The injured leg is now noticeably shorter and smaller than the healthy leg. The tendon used to wiggle from side to side, and I could massage it into place, but now it's like it's frozen. But he's still eating and drinking, and hopping around on the good leg, and frankly, he gets around way better with the brace off. There's no swelling in the joint at all. I still don't know what to think.

I took a video of Neutron so you could see how he's getting around. It's 2 minutes long and not very exciting. Please ignore his brooder buddy...that's Pazuzu. Pazuzu is a camera hog.

He's basically the same. I haven't been able to get the tendon to move back into place for the last 2 days, so I've been leaving the brace off. The injured leg is now noticeably shorter and smaller than the healthy leg. The tendon used to wiggle from side to side, and I could massage it into place, but now it's like it's frozen. But he's still eating and drinking, and hopping around on the good leg, and frankly, he gets around way better with the brace off. There's no swelling in the joint at all. I still don't know what to think.

I took a video of Neutron so you could see how he's getting around. It's 2 minutes long and not very exciting. Please ignore his brooder buddy...that's Pazuzu. Pazuzu is a camera hog.

wow, he gets along remarkably well hopping around! He doesn't look like his is in pain either. What an adorble face! I wish there was an easy fix for Neutron! Maybe someone will see this and have an idea! Are you giving him any vitamins? I loved how he scratched his nose with is bad leg! So cute!

I think Neutron has improved a lot in the last week. Her leg is permanently twisted, but now she puts weight on it, and waddles around on both legs. She can even jump onto the roost in the brooder. Here is her first trip outdoors. You can see she still wobbly, but better.

ARGH!! I am having this problem as well, it looks as if 2 of 3 that hatched yesterday morning have it. I so wish we could give this "thing" a name! I'm going to try and help the little buggers out.

ARGH!! I am having this problem as well, it looks as if 2 of 3 that hatched yesterday morning have it. I so wish we could give this "thing" a name! I'm going to try and help the little buggers out.

Do they have a slipped tendon or splay leg? I had great success with my silkie by pulling the leg back - you will feel the tendon go into place (If indeed it is slipped), and then wrapping it with vet wrap. I then used a rubber band, knotted 2 x so that there is a Loop on either end. Placed the loop over each leg. 4 days later it was great and now you can't even tell which one it was! If it is splay leg, the rubber band should be all you need - or vet wrap . There are lots of threads on here for that. It would not hurt to give them polyVsol without iron as well!

If you can't straighten the leg, I think it's a slipped tendon. I've had lots of chicks with splayed leg. The legs straighten out pretty easily, and it's much easier to treat. I know what you mean about feeling like you're going to break it. I felt that way about my chick, and I can't even imagine how tricky it would be with a bantam!

Fishermans wife had better luck treating her chick than I did. And I think a lot of that was because at first I didn't understand where the tendon was, and was too afraid to work it back into place. Now I understand the tendon slides to the inside of the leg. If you feel the top half of the leg, you'll probably feel the tendon running down the inside. You can massage it back into over the knee cap. It's easier to do if you carefully extend the leg back, like a chick does when it's stretching. Then the trick is getting it to stay in place, with some sort of splint or wrapping. I've seen where some folks use straws cut down one side. You have to treat it now. Before long the leg grows too fast, and the tendon won't move back into place anymore. That's what happened to mine. She gets around pretty well, but she'll always have a crippled leg.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I am sorry to say that we lost them.Both had a left leg that they couldn't straighten. It was just bent and unmovable. The other seemed to work fine. We straightened the leg and wrapped it. then after a few hours it seemed that the other leg went splayed. I just think they weren't meant to be. The one remaining chic is all alone, but at least she is eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom