Small coops: What does the inside look like?

Sweet PDZ. is a horse stall freshener.
http://www.sweetpdz.com/chick.html
Here is a quick description.
Sweet PDZ is an all-natural, non-hazardous and non-toxic mineral. It captures, neutralizes and eliminates harmful levels of ammonia and odors. Sweet PDZ is a far superior alternative to lime products for ammonia removal and moisture absorption.

I use it in my coop, and pigeon loft.

Zeolite is also a recommended soil amendment in it's own right, although I'm uncertain what it contributes.

I'm going to mix sweetpdz with horse bedding pellets I think, they break down to a siftable size and will lighten the weight up. This is a concern as my biggest poop board is a 30 inch by 9ft shelf. Just waiting for warmer weather to complete the trim board edges.

That being said, at the moment I just add some standard coop shavings under some of my roosts and flick the poops into a pan with a wisk broom. Gets 90% of it out. I don't see why your wild harvested bedding wouldn't work the same.

Although I've had poultry of one sort or other most of my life, my present coop (which is a little over a year old) is the first one that I actually built (with the help of my son, daughter and son-in-law, who is good at that sort of stuff). It is 8 x 8 ft, and I built a "droppings pit-style" roost out of closely spaced 2 x 4s that the birds can comfortably roost or even "lounge about" on. The whole roost is about 2 ft x 4 ft in area and about 2 ft from the floor. I put solid boards around it to keep the birds out of the manure. It can all be taken apart for cleaning. Most of the manure falls through, although I give it a quick scrape each morning to remove any droppings that didn't. Very little poop is ever in the bedding. I also put a door in the wall against where this roost is built, which I can open and scrape out the accumulated manure periodically (once a week or every other week). The birds (17 hens and 1 rooster...he was a sexing mistake) have a 320 sq ft run with a top. We have about 2.5 acres, much of it woods, and I know they'd enjoy foraging in it, but I don't dare let them because there are too many hawks around here.

A rough estimate of twelve by five. We have five chicks, but three more are due. The current chickens don't trouble each other; they're friends. But adding three more...I'll have to work on something new. HELP!

My coop is 6 x 6 and I have 12 chickens. I have two roost bars with room for a 3rd. I have two community nest boxes that are 12" by 30". I have windows on 3 sides of the coop and the whole back wall of the coop opens up for cleaning or extra ventilation.

20171214_123142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom