Smoky Mtn East TN

There are two great meetings not too far from you... One at New Harvest Park by the old East Town mall - they ate the Knox County group. Then there is a Blount County group that meets monthly at the library in Maryville - huge and helpful group there.

Don't worry about swarming right now... swarming comes from over crowding due to rapid growth and the beekeeper not keeping ahead of them. Most common time for swarming in TN is May. You'll want to get on a list for nucs by the guest of Dec and then won't get them until March or April.

x2. As long as you're adding your brood boxes and supers, they won't take off. We checked ours once a week when they were busy and added boxes as needed, they're still here and our hive is very strong!
If you feel the need to attend a class, by all means, do so! I would have loved to take a bee keeping course, I just didn't have the extra time to spare. So, I read everything I could get my hands on about bees and jumped in head first :oops:
I really love them, and my veggie and flower gardens have never looked better!

One of the pups we kept, got hit n run over. completely by a speeding truck, while the pups were herding the runner ducks back across the road. she is actually oddly, mostly ok (probably cause she was covered in muck from pond n soaked), just was sore n scared for couple days. she is fine now, but didn't herd the ducks back across the road today, and just alerted me that they'd crossed over to the other side.. I'm thinking she maybe broken, as she shakes n slobbers when hears or sees loud trucks. Runners are extremely stoopid, as they eventually keep getting want to go too long grass across road now since pasture was cut.

my five surviving guinea keets under a broody banty Americana hen are great n friendly. Other banty Americana hens are laying again and the new young one too (olive eggs). D'Uccles just showing off as usual.

Last edited:
One of the pups we kept, got hit n run over. completely by a speeding truck, while the pups were herding the runner ducks back across the road. she is actually oddly, mostly ok
I hope she heals up well! Our Pit mix got hit by a speeding truck, but not run over. It was still the scariest thing. I hope your runners stay safe without their guardian. Yay for the guineas!

Does anyone near Sevier/Jefferson County raise Golden Comets? I want some bog old grocery store style brown eggs mixed in my cartons. can you tell I think about chickens all day long? Except sometimes I think about bees, and mules and creative pursuits. and margaritas. But mostly chickens!

@Poultry ark
thanks a lot! all happened so fast, and all neighbors seen and heard. she has a head like a rock though good working potential, and call her our "derp", as opposed to other that's super smart like father was. We have our large shepherd back to guard the animals round clock outside, as gf has made these two house dogs mostly. lol.

Heard most supposedly hype about guinea, but seen keets eating stink bugs, so that alone along with seen snapping flies out of air, make them seem great! Everything I've heard though about how tough keets hard to raise was bah.. as im using 28% game starter, and a banty broody, in coop protected from draft or water from morning dew, till two or three weeks. i maybe over protective, but only clutch got from adult female that died getting egg bound.

@laughingdog we had 5 keets held until they were able to live without heat at a local breeders. They were feathering, and hiding away from the light at 4 weeks, but died when she took away the lamp. You may want to give them a little longer. I like that they alert to anyone coming out onto property, and scare away snakes. I have been feeding stink bugs found indoors to the hens, but they make my hands stink. I like the idea of them eating those stinkers before they get to the house! We have a bit of a mosquito problem near the coop, because of the waterers too. Maybe my silkie will go broody and make herself useful...
edit: I love the name "derp" Also, we are practically neighbors. Do you know any Magpie duck, Golden Comet, or Faverolle breeders out here..or breeders of other awesome creaturs I should know about? I have been happily getting stock this season from Frazier Farms in Bybee, KenLeigh Farms in Maryville, and a breeder in Flat Rock, NC.

Last edited:
Does anyone near Sevier/Jefferson County raise Golden Comets? I want some bog old grocery store style brown eggs mixed in my cartons. can you tell I think about chickens all day long? Except sometimes I think about bees, and mules and creative pursuits. and margaritas. But mostly chickens! 

I have 2 that are 18 months old. They are molting right now but i can bring them to Knoxville on Friday morning if you'd like them. $15 each

Last edited:
ok, I sold all my big girls, but my very friendly buckeye. I have 10, 9 1/2 week ols barred rocks. I did not plan to add the buckeye until 4 months--but I hate she's all alone. Has anyone had success adding 1 hen to a flock so young? This was not suppose to go this way, I fractured my ankle in 2 places june, and could not get any chicks until now. My poor DH was in charge of caring for everyone and making all three meals - and much more until they let me bear weight, then it was another 8 weeks before they would let me in the barn.

Back
Top Bottom