Smoky Mtn East TN

littlechicklet

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
East TN
frow.gif
Thought it would be good to have a place for us to share pics about our little side of the mountain. I hope we can have a good time, make friends and just chatter on about life in East TN.

I will start by saying I want this to be a place where everyone is free to express their opinions & possibly learn from one another. We may not all agree but I think we can agree to keep it light. I also think emergencies and health issues would best be suited for the Emergency and Disease thread.

I will start this off by introducing myself. I am a wife/mother and we share our home with many types of animals. We have dogs, cats, fish and of course, chickens. I have my chickens as pets and do not have any intentions of breeding, showing or selling. I am currently trying to get a nice backyard flock of bbs LF Orpingtons and also have a small flock of 10-12: EEs and BCM (I think they are mixes).

I think I am going to try to incubate some eggs this spring to help with my Orps but if I get a broody she will most definitely get the job!

So how about pulling up a chair and sitting a spell?

Oh goodness, did our other East Tennessee thread get deleted?

Fresh start then! Hi, I'm India! I live in Elizabethton, which is in the tippy tip of Tennessee, which sucks sometimes because Tennessee is so long, I am 3+ hours from most of you! I have a few breeds of chicken, this year I am working on adding many more that are hard to find in this area. I hatch for fun, to save the heritage breeds, and to sell, I have a Brinsea OVA 380 and wish I could find some people to split some hatches with, just to try to get the sucker filled to capacity for once!

Currently my flocks are Giant Cochins, Speckled Sussex, Pearl Guineas, Indian Runner Ducks, and Delwares.

I have eight Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons in lockdown right now, and a handful of true Ameraucana bantams that I am hoping yields me at least one rooster and hen. I am trying my best to convince a local guy that he just must sell me some Coronation Sussex hatching eggs, but he isn't budging yet.
gig.gif

And my iPad wont let me fix the misspelling of Delawares. Fun.

animalsroc4evr-
frow.gif
& welcome! I don't know of any personally for sale. I do know you will be able to make some contacts at the upcoming shows but don't know what if any of the breeds you want will be there. If you are not concerned as to "show quality" have you considered one of the hatcheries? I think many of the hatcheries have dropped the number you have to order down and you get the benefit of having them sexed.

Flavum- I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think its against forum rules to ask about poultry for sale locally.
hu.gif
I have seen it on many threads from time to time. As for the dark cornish or crosses for sale I don't know for sure. I will PM you with the info I have.

Hi I am in Blount county, and recently got some buff brahma pullets. I am new to chickens, and also going to start our first garden this year! Later I would like to expand our flock with some more chickens for laying, a silkie, an EE, and maybe a duck. We also have dogs, cats, and a Mali(lizard).

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
thanks for stopping by. I have some eggs in the incubator, its my first time trying to hatch. I have EE eggs in there but I don't know if they will hatch or not. They are due to hatch on Easter. I will post if/when they do.

I need help i have no idea if their just molting idk if roosters even molt they are both 9-10 months old they are rir mix whats wrong wiht them ????

Looks like mange mites. My cure for that is ivemectin pour-on put on their skin. Next day, mites are dead. Then you might want to spoil them for a couple weeks with added protein (for feather growth).

See the way they are broke off? That is where the mites chew through the feather's stem like a beaver does a tree. It isn't the end of the world, but it can lead to other things like blood loss, lay rate slowing or stopping, or worse... something like littlechicklet up there where the rooster accidentally hurts them.

Others use other treatments for mites, so my way isn't the only way. I just find it the easiest for me.

No, not the paste. Use the pour on http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/iver-on-250-ml-cattle-pour-on-medication

I second tnchickenut.

I use the pour on too. I use 1/2 cc/ml in a syringe without the needle and make sure you get down to the skin & not on the feathers. I put mine behind their neck near the shoulder area. I repeat it in 10 days. This is how I treat and many other people use different methods. Here's a link about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/477564/ivermectin-dose-for-chickens

ETA: I see tnchickenut beat me too it. LOL

Last edited:
No, not the paste. Use the pour on http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/iver-on-250-ml-cattle-pour-on-medication

I second tnchickenut.

I use the pour on too. I use 1/2 cc/ml in a syringe without the needle and make sure you get down to the skin & not on the feathers. I put mine behind their neck near the shoulder area. I repeat it in 10 days. This is how I treat and many other people use different methods. Here's a link about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/477564/ivermectin-dose-for-chickens

ETA: I see tnchickenut beat me too it. LOL

Pinch, poke, you owe me a coke!

Back
Top Bottom