Smoky Mtn East TN

I do not buy feed from TSC do to it being low quality. Co-oP or Lakeshore has much better for same price. I know Morristown Nill is a great price too and fresh.

I have never had any issues with the Purina Layena or the store brand from TSC. I have heard people complain about my local Co-Op's brand of feed. It think I have heard of Lakeshore. I have heard of the Morristown Mill and if I remember correctly only good things.

I have also seen where some people either mix their own or have it specially blended.

Thanks for the information I may delve deeper into feed research soon.

I have never had any issues with the Purina Layena or the store brand from TSC. I have heard people complain about my local Co-Op's brand of feed. It think I have heard of Lakeshore. I have heard of the Morristown Mill and if I remember correctly only good things.

I have also seen where some people either mix their own or have it specially blended.

Thanks for the information I may delve deeper into feed research soon.

Layena and Dumor are the exact same thing... from the same manufactuer... just "Dumor" is labeled and branded to be sold in TSC only. ;) Fact, Jack.

I switched to my local feed store. I don't like co-ops at all... don't want to offend anyone but they don't have good products, service, or knowledge. But the mom and pop place I go to now that I'm not working at TSC.... I get Hubbard from them and the hens love it. The pellets are smaller and I think the bantams like that better. I think it smells better too. (Am I the only one who smells feed when they open it?)

AYAYAYA I finally got my brooder done so I can move my new 6 chickies into it today!

Those 6 are gonna turn into 25 by the end of summer. We should put money on it! lol. "what is one more?" RIght? RIGHT!!!
tongue.png

So anyone getting ready to plant peas and potatoes soon? I'm kind of curious if I can plant the peas in such a way that they won't be mowed over by the quackers as soon as they break ground...

I tried a early sowing of kale and it was completely eradicated by either the ducks or slugs this winter.

So anyone getting ready to plant peas and potatoes soon? I'm kind of curious if I can plant the peas in such a way that they won't be mowed over by the quackers as soon as they break ground...

I tried a early sowing of kale and it was completely eradicated by either the ducks or slugs this winter.

You are undermining your "pro duck stance"..... just kidding. Short of fencing the area around your garden I don't know. If we go down the road of gardening with chickens & ducks I think we are doomed to all convert over to guineas!
lau.gif

Oh goodness, did our other East Tennessee thread get deleted?

Fresh start then! Hi, I'm India! I live in Elizabethton, which is in the tippy tip of Tennessee, which sucks sometimes because Tennessee is so long, I am 3+ hours from most of you! I have a few breeds of chicken, this year I am working on adding many more that are hard to find in this area. I hatch for fun, to save the heritage breeds, and to sell, I have a Brinsea OVA 380 and wish I could find some people to split some hatches with, just to try to get the sucker filled to capacity for once!

Currently my flocks are Giant Cochins, Speckled Sussex, Pearl Guineas, Indian Runner Ducks, and Delwares.

I have eight Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons in lockdown right now, and a handful of true Ameraucana bantams that I am hoping yields me at least one rooster and hen. I am trying my best to convince a local guy that he just must sell me some Coronation Sussex hatching eggs, but he isn't budging yet.
gig.gif

And my iPad wont let me fix the misspelling of Delawares. Fun.

You are undermining your "pro duck stance"..... just kidding. Short of fencing the area around your garden I don't know. If we go down the road of gardening with chickens & ducks I think we are doomed to all convert over to guineas!
lau.gif

Haha, not at all! It was actually a gardening book that converted me to ducks in the first place. I had come to this site and was all excited about getting chickens. I had planned what style of coop I wanted and was narrowing down the list of breeds... and then I read a book where the author explained the duck as a great garden helper and I was sold. The only problem I've had with them thus far has been greens, didn't grow peas last year. I'm thinking some sort of low garden fence might be the only solution.

For the peas my initial thought is planting them further underneath an a-frame trellis and hope they are left mostly alone when the tops reach the support.

Good luck with the peas. I truly do not know anything about ducks other than they like water & quack.
big_smile.png

I know very little about guineas other than they are good alert systems, bug patrol and do eat the gardens like chickens do. I really wish we could have them and may try again one day.

Good luck with the peas. I truly do not know anything about ducks other than they like water & quack.
big_smile.png

I know very little about guineas other than they are good alert systems, bug patrol and do eat the gardens like chickens do. I really wish we could have them and may try again one day.

If you want to try some on for size, I have Pearl Guineas and would gladly hatch you some.

Back
Top Bottom