So... My wife wants meat rabbits. (We already have egg & meat chickens, and small meat goats)

That’s just a hop, skip, and a jump!!!!!!
Ouch. I almost spit up my coffee when I read this. Just Ouch. I was not prepared.

and thank you all, helpful and informative.

Since I can structure three cages each almost 3 1/2' by up to 4' on the side of my existing goat hutch, inside the run, I'll likely go that route. Its good space, its already predator protected somewhat, I'll already got a water wource in one of my rain fed 275 gal totes, and the rabbit pellets can join the goat pellets and the chicken droppings on the ground no issue, easy to rake up. I also keep hay out there for the goats, so its a central location.
Time to sit down with some virtual graph paper and make up a shopping list, i guess.

Anyone have any luck training rabbits to use poultry cups to drink from???

Sounds like two does one buck, from different parents is the way we want to go. and a copy of Storey's Guide, for my wife not to read. ;)

...plus two old dogs and a brand new barn cat.

I'm not opposed, but before I jump in, any advice? Rabbit hutch recommendations? Optimally, I'd like to build the hutch on the side of my goat shelter, in my run, in my pasture. That's decidedly "outside" - though we are in N FL, so the climate is very forgiving. Its just the two of us, we aren't likely to eat rabbit more than every other week - how many should we get? what ratio? Rabbit hut design considerations and recommends for controlling their breeding tendencies???? (Solid bottom? 1/2" mesh bottom? something else??? - how many square ft per rabbit??? I'd like to build it along one of the 10' walls of the goat shed to save materials and ensure its well protected against our worst winter weather - driving near freezing rains out of the north)

Please, I'd like to have at least some clue before I pull the trigger on this new "adventure".
We raised rabbits for meat for around 5 years. We always baked it like a Sunday chicken in chicken broth and it was so good. Also a great meat if you happen to be trying to lose weight since it doesn't really have fat.

Ours were in 30x30 stackers for the adults and the younglings usually were still sharing 24x24 or 24x30s with a sibling or two when they were processed.

We did New Zealands, and NZxSatins, so nice big rabbits.

We just fed ours rabbit pellets, occasionally sunflower seeds and hay.

For just two people, I would say between a pair and a trio (just depends how often you breed). NZs tend to do large litters and our satin had 9 once that all made it.

We raised rabbits for meat for around 5 years. We always baked it like a Sunday chicken in chicken broth and it was so good. Also a great meat if you happen to be trying to lose weight since it doesn't really have fat.

I like breaded and fried like pork chops - retains moisture, adds flavor, and a quick pan gravy provides any needed fat. OR slow braised with root veg and mushrooms with a sour cream sauce on egg noodles.

...and my more than half century old 5' 9" frame just dropped below 160# for the first time in roughly three decades. Last decade, with the office job, I briefly crossed 200#. This old chassis ain't much to look at, but its getting the job done. I've been very fortunate in that.

Also, is there no "free ranging" of rabbits
There are two major problems: keeping them in, and keeping predators out.

If you're used to keeping chickens safe from predators, you could probably manage the same with rabbits-- but watch out for them digging tunnels and getting out. If you cover the entire ground with wire mesh or concrete or stones, that will certainly stop them from digging, but it no longer sounds like free-ranging, and it certainly removes any plants you might want them to eat.

Because rabbits eat gardens, and breed like rabbits, people usually do not want them to get loose.

**IF** I "free range", they would have "the run" of my 4.5 acres w/i electric fencing. Any who escape that (yes, they will dig right under, if they range that far) are welcome to feed the local predators (mostly, the neighbor's dogs they use for hog hunting...). Aerial losses I can accept, just as I accept the occasional loss of one of my birds to a still larger bird...

Any who escape that (yes, they will dig right under, if they range that far) are welcome to feed the local predators (mostly, the neighbor's dogs they use for hog hunting...).

If you trust that the neighbor's dogs will actually catch escapees (so they cannot establish a feral population), and if you are fine with some level of losses, then it might work fine.

I've read of some people that provide feed in a pen, so the rabbits are used to coming in to eat, and it's easy to close the pen to catch them.

Meat bunnies that are raised in a cage with plenty of pelleted feed are ready to butcher around 8 weeks old-- if you're trying to have them forage for their own feed, they will probably grow slower, and you might have some of them reaching breeding age before you are able to catch them & butcher them.

I've read enough about Australia's rabbit problems that I've always been unwilling to risk rabbits getting loose and starting to multiply, but I don't know how much of problem it really is in your area. Of course you know your area, and your local predators, much better than I do!

Having them in a large area, with access to dirt and shade, might help a lot with the summer heat (underground is cooler, and just laying on the ground can be cooler than in raised cages). But if they are underground, they are much harder to catch, for both you and the predators.

Back
Top Bottom