So what did you cook today?

Quote:
Great minds think alike
wink.png

I have fresh hamburger buns/rolls rising currently on the counter to be baked fresh for chicken burger patties we're having for dinner. Going to top them with caramelized onions!!! Mmmm

Quote:
Great minds think alike
wink.png

Ok, where are these recipes for potato soup? I mean please???

I make a BIG batch when I make mine and freeze it:
10 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 onions diced
stock or broth to cover
16 oz container sour cream, we use light
salt and pepper to taste
little bit of olive oil

Saute onions in oil until translucent, add potatoes and broth just to cover, boil until potatoes are tender. Turn heat off. Puree, we have a stick blender and do this right in the pot, add sour cream salt and pepper and blend again. Turn heat back to low and let simmer for a couple of minutes.

droolin.gif
Simple, but oh so good.... and freezable.....

Quote:
Ok, where are these recipes for potato soup? I mean please???

I make a BIG batch when I make mine and freeze it:
10 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 onions diced
stock or broth to cover
16 oz container sour cream, we use light
salt and pepper to taste
little bit of olive oil

Saute onions in oil until translucent, add potatoes and broth just to cover, boil until potatoes are tender. Turn heat off. Puree, we have a stick blender and do this right in the pot, add sour cream salt and pepper and blend again. Turn heat back to low and let simmer for a couple of minutes.

droolin.gif
Simple, but oh so good.... and freezable.....

Thank you! Sounds delicious and I do love recipes that freeze well. I will have to substitute leeks for the onions since I am allergic to onions (leeks are the only variety of onion that I'm not allergic to), but that should not make much of a difference except that leeks are a little bit sweeter than most onions. What do you think? Will it still taste good with the sweeter leeks?

I make a lot of quiche because it uses a lot of the eggs from our hens. One of my favorites is a pizza quiche. I quarter some spicy pepperoni, add shredded cheeses, stir in a couple cups of spag or pizza sauce, and add all of that to 5-7 beat eggs. I pour all of this in to a deep pie crust and sprinkle the top with parm cheese. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes and serve. It is a healthy option to pizza and my DS loves it!

My other favorite one is a simple bkfst quiche where I brown sausage, add onions, and 9 eggs. Pour in to a deep dish pie crust and sprinkle a little cheese on the top. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes & serve.

We can easily use up 14-18 eggs in a day which is good since we have a flock of 30 hens.

Quote:
Thank you for these. I love making quiche. I usually make ham and spinache ones:

Diced ham
Frozen spinach(about a cup, thaw and squeeze out all the water)
A couple tsp of garlic, 4 Tablespoons of onion(microwave for 2 minutes then add to ham and spinach)
2-8oz bags Colby/Monterey Jack Shredded cheese.

Mix this together in a bowl, pour into a deep dish pie shell that has been previously baked for 10 minutes.

Crack 4 large eggs into a liquid measuring cup, add milk and fill until you get to the 3 cup mark. Pour this over the cheese/ham mixture (should be just enough to fill the pie shell. Bake 1 hour. It is SO good. You can substitute any meat for the ham (bacon is real good) and use other veggies like broccoli as well.

As for what I am cooking today. Not much. Later I will cook jambalaya with smoked sausage and I have to make a German chocolate cake because my sons girlfriend is turning 19 tomorrow (she lives with us).

Back
Top Bottom