Rediscovering Traditional Meats from Historic Chicken Breeds

Great article. I found it extremely helpful & informative. I've changed my flock from egg layers to dual purpose birds over the past year because I was getting so many roos to cull. I wanted more meat on them when we butchered. This is so helpful to me. Thank You!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I needed this article to encourage me- I have a 12+ month old banty, a 6+ month old banty, and a 15 week old brown leghorn roosters to butcher, as well as a 15 week old dominique hen with a crossed beak. I need to get stuff done, but I hate the process, and already took care of three quail today.

I'll probably use the older two roosters to can some stock with meat in it for soups this winter, the pressure cooking should get them tender.

I find this artical very interesting and have printed a copy to show some freinds of mine. I think we have been led to believe somewhat that older chicken won't be good to eat therefore we have to get rid of our flock to someone that will take them. Thank You Very Much!

Very true!

I came to BYC this afternoon looking for information on what to do with 7 mutt roos (about 4 months old) that we were planning to cull today. I found this article very interesting. I found very little information anywhere else about cooking non-traditional chickens. Just sort of by instinct, I sautéed onion, garlic and celery then added some wine and chicken stock to the pressure cooker with a bay leaf. We had read that if you get the bird in and cooking immediately after its death that it could bypass the "resting time" of a day or more. That's what we did and let me tell you, our little mutt roo was mighty tasty. Next time I'd pressure cook for 20 instead of 25. Also, we let the cooker naturally release its steam rather than quick release. Possibly it could have been quick released after 25 min and would have been fine. It was just the tiniest bit over done, but tender and very flavorful. Don't be afraid to cook your birds!

I came to BYC this afternoon looking for information on what to do with 7 mutt roos (about 4 months old) that we were planning to cull today. I found this article very interesting. I found very little information anywhere else about cooking non-traditional chickens. Just sort of by instinct, I sautéed onion, garlic and celery then added some wine and chicken stock to the pressure cooker with a bay leaf. We had read that if you get the bird in and cooking immediately after its death that it could bypass the "resting time" of a day or more. That's what we did and let me tell you, our little mutt roo was mighty tasty. Next time I'd pressure cook for 20 instead of 25. Also, we let the cooker naturally release its steam rather than quick release. Possibly it could have been quick released after 25 min and would have been fine. It was just the tiniest bit over done, but tender and very flavorful. Don't be afraid to cook your birds!

I've never cooked in a pressure cooker, only done canning. What pressure did you cook at? Thanks!

Well, that's a good question. The pressure cooker is an electric appliance that has a bunch of buttons. I set it for "poultry/meat." It came up with a preset time for 15 min, but I went 25 after reading someone else's post. It was too much. I later cooked two young roos together in the electric pressure cooker for 20 min and they came out perfectly. I'm still new to this appliance, called an Instant-Pot, which I got for Christmas. So far, I like it a lot. I'm going to try to copy the link from Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0073GIN...VSG4CFD6VMQ27PT&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=2052635042

OK, not sure if that will work, but after years of using a crock pot, I'm getting used to my pressure COOKER (not a canner, I have one of them, too) and liking it a lot. Hope this helps answer your question, but I'm not sure it did.

Well, that's a good question. The pressure cooker is an electric appliance that has a bunch of buttons. I set it for "poultry/meat." It came up with a preset time for 15 min, but I went 25 after reading someone else's post. It was too much. I later cooked two young roos together in the electric pressure cooker for 20 min and they came out perfectly. I'm still new to this appliance, called an Instant-Pot, which I got for Christmas. So far, I like it a lot. I'm going to try to copy the link from Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0073GIN...VSG4CFD6VMQ27PT&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=2052635042

OK, not sure if that will work, but after years of using a crock pot, I'm getting used to my pressure COOKER (not a canner, I have one of them, too) and liking it a lot. Hope this helps answer your question, but I'm not sure it did.
I have an Instant Pot and it is my favorite appliance!!! We use it at least 3 times/week. We cook chicken in it along with vegies and herbs. I agree that you do need to add a little time especially when the chicken is whole.

I have an Instant Pot and it is my favorite appliance!!! We use it at least 3 times/week. We cook chicken in it along with vegies and herbs. I agree that you do need to add a little time especially when the chicken is whole.

I grew up using a 5qt stainless steel pressure cooker & loved it. I still have it but it needs a new seal so hasn't been used I a very long time. I bought Wolfgang Puck? electric one on Amazon probably 2 or 3 years ago & it is still sitting on my window seat unused.............I am SUCH a procrastinator. I always have more "want to do" things in my head than I ever get around too.......LOL

Back
Top Bottom