Soft Egg

RemsLittleFarm

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2015
I have two white meat turkey that were supposed to be our Thanksgiving dinner. Well, the two "gobblers" ended up being hens. I have one active layer and I think the other is laying, too - though I have not caught her in act yet. Until November, I am collecting the eggs and just putting them in the fridge so they do not go to waste. But, I did notice two eggs having no shell. They're just a soft egg. I read some different things, one saying lack of protein.

What should I do?

They are currently receiving "turkey grower" and then a couple times a week I toss them some corn - or if I have a extra slice of bread they may get it. They have some grit, too. They have a coop. Indoor/outdoor. I do not let them free roam.

Is this something to be concerned about?

I have two white meat turkey that were supposed to be our Thanksgiving dinner. Well, the two "gobblers" ended up being hens. I have one active layer and I think the other is laying, too - though I have not caught her in act yet. Until November, I am collecting the eggs and just putting them in the fridge so they do not go to waste. But, I did notice two eggs having no shell. They're just a soft egg. I read some different things, one saying lack of protein.

What should I do?

They are currently receiving "turkey grower" and then a couple times a week I toss them some corn - or if I have a extra slice of bread they may get it. They have some grit, too. They have a coop. Indoor/outdoor. I do not let them free roam.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Turkey grower does not have sufficient calcium in it to supply the needs of a laying hen. Your hens are in severe danger of developing leg and muscle problems since they are robbing the calcium from their own bodies to produce the egg shells.

I feed laying hens layer feed plus provide them with oyster shell free choice. If you want to give your hens a quick boost there are liquid calcium supplements that can be added to their water. It may be available at a local pet store. Once they have gained back their calcium levels you can discontinue the supplement as long as you are at least providing oyster shell.

When mine lay shell-less or soft shelled eggs I give them calcium orally for a few days. Dose I give is 50mg per pound and the stuff I give is 23% calcium gluconate, which you can get at Tractor Supply in the cattle section. It can be given orally or by injection. Refrigerate after opening.

-Kathy

Like I said, we thought we had gobblers (I never seen wild turkey do the things these two do!). We're only growing them for Thanksgiving dinner. Didn't expect to see an egg in their pen! The feed is just what the local mill suggested to feed. I'll make a trip to TSC and see what they have that will work, Something to add to their water would be best scenario as it would be the easiest way to get it into them. Thanks.

Like I said, we thought we had gobblers (I never seen wild turkey do the things these two do!). We're only growing them for Thanksgiving dinner. Didn't expect to see an egg in their pen! The feed is just what the local mill suggested to feed. I'll make a trip to TSC and see what they have that will work, Something to add to their water would be best scenario as it would be the easiest way to get it into them. Thanks.

Don't want to scare you, but a retained soft can kill them, so best to increase their calcium. The stuff I mentioned works best if given orally or by injection... Not sure it will work in water. I guess you could try offering them oyster shell.

-Kathy

Don't want to scare you, but a retained soft can kill them, so best to increase their calcium. The stuff I mentioned works best if given orally or by injection... Not sure it will work in water. I guess you could try offering them oyster shell.

-Kathy

I definitely will increase calcium. I am going to see what they have at the mill and TSC. I can make it to the mill tonight, but TSC wont be til later in the week. I'm not neglecting the turkey, just didn't know they were hens.

Which I do appreciate, thank you. I'll see what I can find tonight.

Here is an (older) picture of my little flocks.

Back
Top Bottom