Soft shelled eggs broken inside chicken

Do you know how long was the soft shell inside her? Broken shells inside can lead to egg yolk peritonitis (EYP) or EYP can lead to soft shell eggs that break when the hen tries to expel it.

How do her poops look? Are you still seeing yellow urates? If you are she is still fighting the infection and/or the yolk has not completely been expelled. How does her vent look? Is it swollen or red or does it look normal? Can you see or feel anything around that area?

My girl did not have a soft crop, but I have read that when things at the end of the digestive system get wonky it can slow everything else down. How does her breath smell? Is her crop emptying overnight? Is it nice and flat in the morning before she has any food or water? A sour smell would indicate sour crop and a crop not emptying overnight means that something in the digestive system isn't working correctly.

I am going to look and see if I can find a thread that talks about dosage and duration for EYP. I will tag this thread when I find it.

I would imagine that the longer the egg yolk was inside the more infection that she will have to fight off. Keep up with the amoxicillin and hopefully she will bounce back.
Admittedly, I am no expert in this area of chicken care. Perhaps @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive might have better advice for you and your girl.
Good advice and questions @MarlaMac

The crop can slow down when there's another issue going on, so treating that symptom is a good idea. Since @Gendro is treating with an antibiotic, the crop may turn sour. I'd start with giving 1tsp coconut oil twice a day, lightly massage the crop and then monitor to see if the crop empties overnight. Work on hydration and offer the hen soft cooked egg along with her normal feed (wet or dry). Extra Calcium to hopefully help expel any material from the oviduct. Give the full course of antibiotic even if she seems to be doing better.

Do you know how long was the soft shell inside her? Broken shells inside can lead to egg yolk peritonitis (EYP) or EYP can lead to soft shell eggs that break when the hen tries to expel it.

How do her poops look? Are you still seeing yellow urates? If you are she is still fighting the infection and/or the yolk has not completely been expelled. How does her vent look? Is it swollen or red or does it look normal? Can you see or feel anything around that area?

My girl did not have a soft crop, but I have read that when things at the end of the digestive system get wonky it can slow everything else down. How does her breath smell? Is her crop emptying overnight? Is it nice and flat in the morning before she has any food or water? A sour smell would indicate sour crop and a crop not emptying overnight means that something in the digestive system isn't working correctly.

I am going to look and see if I can find a thread that talks about dosage and duration for EYP. I will tag this thread when I find it.

I would imagine that the longer the egg yolk was inside the more infection that she will have to fight off. Keep up with the amoxicillin and hopefully she will bounce back.
Admittedly, I am no expert in this area of chicken care. Perhaps @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive might have better advice for you and your girl.
This is great advice! Her crop is definitely still full and squishy this morning but she is more herself after a day of antibiotics already.

Her poops are still a little runny. She has a dirt bum right now so I will continue will Epsom soaks today. Her bum is a little yellow-very pale and green poop stuck to her feathers. Not a large amount. I am going to pick up some liquid calcium to give her and see if that gives her a better dosage of calcium. I’m so appreciate of your help. I was feeling so lost and now feel like I can help save her

Good advice and questions @MarlaMac

The crop can slow down when there's another issue going on, so treating that symptom is a good idea. Since @Gendro is treating with an antibiotic, the crop may turn sour. I'd start with giving 1tsp coconut oil twice a day, lightly massage the crop and then monitor to see if the crop empties overnight. Work on hydration and offer the hen soft cooked egg along with her normal feed (wet or dry). Extra Calcium to hopefully help expel any material from the oviduct. Give the full course of antibiotic even if she seems to be doing better.
Crop was full and a little squishy last night. Just now as I let them out her crop is still full and squishier. She went right for the food and seems less lethargic after a day of antibiotics. No smell though and still runnier poops.I have liquid coconut oil will that work?

This is great advice! Her crop is definitely still full and squishy this morning but she is more herself after a day of antibiotics already.

Her poops are still a little runny. She has a dirt bum right now so I will continue will Epsom soaks today. Her bum is a little yellow-very pale and green poop stuck to her feathers. Not a large amount. I am going to pick up some liquid calcium to give her and see if that gives her a better dosage of calcium. I’m so appreciate of your help. I was feeling so lost and now feel like I can help save her
I am glad you see progress in her. @Wyorp Rock had some good advice about coconut oil and massaging her crop. If you freeze the coconut oil and cut it up in small pieces she will probably eat it straight from your hand. I think they like the taste and texture. Coconut oil solidifies at about 76 degrees. If yours does not it probably has additives in it. I would opt for pure coconut oil.

Search threads for videos about massaging the crop. You want to do it in a manner that does not let the contents of the crop to come back up. You want them to work their way into the digestive system.

Whatever form of calcium you get the best type for quick up take is calcium citrate. My girls love hard cooked eggs. When I need to give them extra calcium, I will fry an egg. I pop the yolk, add crushed calcium citrate on top, fold it over and let the crushed tablet get absorbed into the folds. They devour it.

This is what I give.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230903-092430.png
    Screenshot_20230903-092430.png
    502.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I am glad you see progress in her. @Wyorp Rock had some good advice about coconut oil and massaging her crop. If you freeze the coconut oil and cut it up in small pieces she will probably eat it straight from your hand. I think they like the taste and texture. Coconut oil solidifies at about 76 degrees. If yours does not it probably has additives in it. I would opt for pure coconut oil.

Search threads for videos about massaging the crop. You want to do it in a manner that does not let the contents of the crop to come back up. You want them to work their way into the digestive system.

Whatever form of calcium you get the best type for quick up take is calcium citrate. My girls love hard cooked eggs. When I need to give them extra calcium, I will fry an egg. I pop the yolk, add crushed calcium citrate on top, fold it over and let the crushed tablet get absorbed into the folds. They devour it.

This is what I give.
She ate the coconut oil (bought solid) mixed into oats and yogurt! Her crop seems to be going down. And she has been super chatty and acting herself. I only had powdered amoxicillin so I’ve been using the powder mixed with liquid calcium with an eye dropper 🤞🤞 Today she had some waterey poop though. So grateful for all the help!! Hoping she pulls through

She ate the coconut oil (bought solid) mixed into oats and yogurt! Her crop seems to be going down. And she has been super chatty and acting herself. I only had powdered amoxicillin so I’ve been using the powder mixed with liquid calcium with an eye dropper 🤞🤞 Today she had some waterey poop though. So grateful for all the help!! Hoping she pulls through
Sounds like she is on the mend. Poop will be a reflection of what she is eating. If she is mostly eating lots of liquid based things you can expect her poops to be watery. I am not sure the effect sitting in the crop has on consistency of food once it starts to move.

Glad she is feeling more herself! Hoping for a full recovery. :)

Sounds like she is on the mend. Poop will be a reflection of what she is eating. If she is mostly eating lots of liquid based things you can expect her poops to be watery. I am not sure the effect sitting in the crop has on consistency of food once it starts to move.

Glad she is feeling more herself! Hoping for a full recovery. :)
Today she is doing much worse ☹️ her comb is turning pale and purple she is breathing through her beak and her crop is super full this morning. Very lethargic 😭

Attachments

• 5D10558E-FBC2-471F-9C00-E682A1E4A111.jpeg
    5D10558E-FBC2-471F-9C00-E682A1E4A111.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 5
I am so sorry. I hope she gets better throughout the day. EYP is hard to overcome. Are you still on the amoxicillin?

Is her crop sour? Are you still massaging it. Is she passing any poop?

Back
Top Bottom