Solar Power Stuffs - Questions and Answers

Pics
@dsalling ,I have a solar setup, too. I have 2 solar panels charging 2 car batteries, which they do very well.

I began with an inverter and a heated waterer with an outlet that automatically shut off power when temps went above something like 40°. The batteries couldn't keep up.

The inverter itself wastes power, so I changed to a 12V submersible heat pad and a temperature sensor. The sensor turns on the power when the water temperature falls to 1°C and shuts off when it reaches 2.5°C. This itself is a vast improvement in efficiency.

My goal has always been to have enough power stored to be able to ride out below-freezing cold spells (which may last a week or so here) and cloudy days. This setup has done that.

This year, I added a second waterer, with no problems so far, although we haven't had any long cold spells yet, just the occasional night.

Depending on where you live, I feel fairly sure you can run 2 or 3 waterers and the auto door if you had an extra battery, and if you get rid of the inverter. Add loads one by one, and see what your batteries look like at dawn.

@dsalling ,I have a solar setup, too. I have 2 solar panels charging 2 car batteries, which they do very well.

I began with an inverter and a heated waterer with an outlet that automatically shut off power when temps went above something like 40°. The batteries couldn't keep up.

The inverter itself wastes power, so I changed to a 12V submersible heat pad and a temperature sensor. The sensor turns on the power when the water temperature falls to 1°C and shuts off when it reaches 2.5°C. This itself is a vast improvement in efficiency.

My goal has always been to have enough power stored to be able to ride out below-freezing cold spells (which may last a week or so here) and cloudy days. This setup has done that.

This year, I added a second waterer, with no problems so far, although we haven't had any long cold spells yet, just the occasional night.

Depending on where you live, I feel fairly sure you can run 2 or 3 waterers and the auto door if you had an extra battery, and if you get rid of the inverter. Add loads one by one, and see what your batteries look like at dawn.
Thanks for following up. I appreciate it. I will have to figure out how to run solar directly to batteries and power outlet to batteries. That’s why I needed the inverter. How are you connecting drinkers to battery source?

The heating pads and temperature controller are 12V. I didn't like putting the heating pads directly in the water, so I cobbled together a glass Mason jar, silicone lid, and silicone stopper, filled it with water and put it in the waterer. I lose a Mason jar's worth of drinking water, but it's worth it.

2Pcs Digital LED Temperature... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9S3DYL9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

4 Pcs Silicone Rubber Heating Pad, Silicone Heating Pad Waterproof Flexible Silicone Heater Mat Rubber Heating Band for Industrial Equipment 20W 12V https://a.co/d/3tyxM3P

You can run them directly from the batteries. The temperature controller is a lot more accurate, too, and can be set to whatever temperature you want it to turn on at, and turn off at. That saves energy.

I don't have an auto door, but I would imagine you can get a motor and timer or light sensor that would run on 12V.

The biggest issue I've found with solar is having to sort of build your own setups with an eye for efficiency. These days, there are a lot of things available, especially for RVs, but you often have to adapt them. Or add a lot of batteries!

I'll take some pictures of the whole thing tomorrow!

Alternative energy, particularly portable solar generator, is a great way to streamline information and provide a platform for education and sharing experiences. I appreciate the emphasis on keeping the discussions focused on education, information, and scientific inquiry, rather than veering into political debates. Your experience with solar since 1986 and your willingness to share your knowledge will undoubtedly benefit others who are interested in exploring alternative energy options.

Back
Top Bottom