Solar Power Stuffs - Questions and Answers

Good Morning Everyone:

In some of the other threads I visit, there are many questions concerning solar power. Panels, Batteries, Voltage, Inverters, etc and so on.

Whether you just want to be a bit more self sufficient, want some sort of emergency backup or just want to have fun and explore the world of solar.
(Like WE need another rabbit hole to go down right? :) ) Solar might be something you would be interested in.

Instead of clogging up threads with solar talk, which often can get repeated in other threads, I decided I would start a new thread that is dedicated ONLY
to questions about Alternative Energy Stuff.,

Only one real rule for this channel.

DO NOT Turn it into a Political Fight.

This channel is for Education, Information, and Scientific Stuffz. NOT political rantings. If you must bring it up, be civil.

A bit about me: I have been doing solar since about 1986, hopped into it bigtime about 2000. I do not proclaim to be an expert at anything but do have a little experience with this stuff.

If you got questions, post !

Thank you
Aaron
So I'm wanting to do a solar powered heat system for my chickens so they dont get too chilly. I have three heat lamps and three low powered water heaters, what size panel and solar generator should I get?

Great thread idea!

I use this guy for step by step videos. Plenty of good how to solar content.

https://m.youtube.com/c/WillProwse

He has a website linked from the video descriptions with diagrams for various sized systems.

I’ve been entirely off grid for a year and a 1/2. I found it a little bit difficult to find the optimal location for my panels and managing my expectations and and power usage.

I have 2kw of ground mounted panels and 10.5kwh of batteries. I live near the Canadian border. I had to run the generator quite a bit in the deep winter. I am wiring in additional panels for 2 all in one inverter/controllers so I can get 4kw of panel input this winter.

I’ve used Santan Solar for used and new old stock panels. Prices have risen significantly from 2 years ago. I’ve had positive experience with them on 3 separate orders. If you and some local friends order together you can split the shipping cost. They ship on a pallets.

https://www.santansolar.com/

I advise against using a solar lease contract. DIY for most of it is the way to go. I also don’t like roof mounting - cost and hassle to repair or adjust. I acknowledge many folks don’t have room to mount on the ground.

What type(s) of batteries are you talking about? Lithium-ion? Lead-acid? If LA, are they AGM/sealed, or will they need to have water added to the periodically?

this is all information I have:

SUNLIGHT DEEP CYCLE SOLAR RES 4 SOPzS 500 - 500Ah C120 2V

sunlight-35.jpg

Great thread idea!

I use this guy for step by step videos. Plenty of good how to solar content.

https://m.youtube.com/c/WillProwse

He has a website linked from the video descriptions with diagrams for various sized systems.

I’ve been entirely off grid for a year and a 1/2. I found it a little bit difficult to find the optimal location for my panels and managing my expectations and and power usage.

I have 2kw of ground mounted panels and 10.5kwh of batteries. I live near the Canadian border. I had to run the generator quite a bit in the deep winter. I am wiring in additional panels for 2 all in one inverter/controllers so I can get 4kw of panel input this winter.

I’ve used Santan Solar for used and new old stock panels. Prices have risen significantly from 2 years ago. I’ve had positive experience with them on 3 separate orders. If you and some local friends order together you can split the shipping cost. They ship on a pallets.

https://www.santansolar.com/

I advise against using a solar lease contract. DIY for most of it is the way to go. I also don’t like roof mounting - cost and hassle to repair or adjust. I acknowledge many folks don’t have room to mount on the ground.

10,5 kwh - can anyone convert this to Ah?

I have room on the ground but here gypsies cut and steal cables. so roof mounting is a must for me.

10,5 kwh - can anyone convert this to Ah?
Not without knowing the voltage. But we can do the math by plugging in the more common voltages for solar systems, which are 12V, 24V and 48V. (Other voltages are used as well, but these are the more common ones.)

Wh = V x Ah

Where...

Wh = kilowatt hours
V = voltage
Ah = amd hours

Inversely...

Ah = Wh / V

kWh is just watt hours / 1,000, so plugging in 10.5 kWh and our 3 common voltages gives us:

10,500 Wh / 12 V = 875 Ah
10,500 Wh / 24 V = 437.5 Ah
10,500 Wh / 48 V = 218.75 Ah

this is all information I have:

SUNLIGHT DEEP CYCLE SOLAR RES 4 SOPzS 500 - 500Ah C120 2V

View attachment 3296154
So those are lead-acid batteries that aren't sealed, which means that you're going to have to monitor and occasionally top off the water levels of 12 batteries for every string of those that you use....not to mention the other issues that allenw and ascholten already mentioned.

So I'm wanting to do a solar powered heat system for my chickens so they dont get too chilly. I have three heat lamps and three low powered water heaters, what size panel and solar generator should I get?
Basically you are wanting to use electricity for your heating needs it sounds like.
You are going to need a fairly large battery system too, because it tends to get cold at night, when the sun ain't shining to make the power we need.

The very first thing Id need to know is, how big are the lamps, and water heaters? how many watts do they use? How long per day do you plan on using the heat lamps?

Now triple or quad that to make up for system losses, and those times where you get 2 - 3 cloudy crappy days in a row.

If you are thinking of using hot water for the heat, you might want to look into a heat pump water heater .vs. any sort of elemental type heating, or solar heating. The sq foot area you'd need for the water radiator, a solar panel that same size would probably easily do a HP Hot water heater. Not to mention, on semi cloudy days, the solar heater ain't doing diddly for you, where a solar panel, is getting 'some' electricity, so you are getting 'some' heat out of it then.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom