Some causes of EARLY CHICK MORTALITY

Quote:
I presently have a loner myself and the people on this sit have been enormously helpful. I made 2 small feather dusters and hung on to his(her?) level and left the other on the floor. He is fond of these. A mirror was also suggested and is in with him too. Pookie the beanie baby was contributed by my daughter. We spend a lot of time staying near him and talking to him, and occasionally during the day he sits for a time on a willing lap. He is much happier today than he was 2 days ago when we lost his hatch mate. All of these things were suggested by users, and it took a little while but he came around very well.

I am starting out with 5 sexlinks that are now one month old. Even though it has been very cold here, a few days have been into the high 40's, low 50's, and they loved those few hours out in the coop they will eventually live in:)

Oh crap.....wish I would have read this thread before ordering day old chicks. They are coming anyway. two years ago, for my first 3 chicks from the local feed store, I used a horse watering trough as a brooder, put wire grate on top, added a heat lamp, some pine shavings, chick starter from the feed store, a waterer and it worked fine. Now I wonder if maybe i was just lucky....
I ordered 16 day old chicks, but they'll probably arrive dead anyway, so it's probably best not to put the cart before the horse, so to speak.....

tnx for the information, my 7weeks old chicks are dying, i suspect coccidiosis, im giving them coccidiostat(pantacox), but i feel the raw milk thing is worth trying, but dont knw where to get any raw milk. Pls help needed urgently. Tnx

its amazing how the mother hen knows all of wat were learning and she was born to do so and noe how. my hen is currently mothering 4 chicks the rest died on the way because of weak sperm eggs developed but werent strong
sad.png

tnx for the information, my 7weeks old chicks are dying, i suspect coccidiosis, im giving them coccidiostat(pantacox), but i feel the raw milk thing is worth trying, but dont knw where to get any raw milk. Pls help needed urgently. Tnx

Yeah...me too! No raw milk around here. Will pasteurized milk do?

Currently dealing with high fatalities (30%) in my broiler chicks who are 3 weeks of age. Suspect that they were chilled during transport and have not seen much on the subject other than this posting. Do you know how long can one expect to continue to lose birds after such a thing has happened? What exactly are the symptoms to look for if any? Everything else has been double checked...vitamins given et etc..the rate seems to have slowed down as I have kept track..

Back
Top Bottom