Some causes of EARLY CHICK MORTALITY

Quote:
If a chick develops "stacking" (also called "pasty butt"), you can take tiny fingernail cutting scissors and trim away the fluff that's close to its vent.
That way you get the existing dried poop off and prevent future poop from having something to stick to.

Quote:
Ruth, I don't know if you'll ever come back to this thread, but I wanted to let you know how much help this response, and some of your other posts, have been to me this spring and early summer. I had new little chicks, and based on my observations of them and instincts, wanted to put them out earlier than many sources suggest.

Seeing your comments gave me the confidence to do what I knew I needed to, and my chickens have been very healthy.

Also wanted you to know that I quoted you on my blog. There are lots of great posters here, and this is a terrific site. But some posters say the right thing at the right time, and really help others. Many thanks.

Wisconsin Garden Chick
http://backyardnestegg.blogspot.com/

I am reading through this with great interest because we just had a chick die
sad.png
We had a silkie hatch on 9/24 who is doing great, then a second one hatched on 9/27. It was eating and drinking fine, pooping no problem, and fluffy and happy...as of midnight last night. As of 7am today, it was stiff and on its side. I have no idea what happened. It looks like it has a bit of dried something? on its butt, but was pooping yesterday (trust me on this one, I had up close experience) Remaining chick seems fine. What to do...should I get a couple chicks to put with the remaining one? Will they peck each other or are they young enough to be ok?

Hello;
This is the first time I have ordered day olds. Mine are Bantams assorted. 3 Dead on arrival. Oh I ordered 100, received 50, but list state 52 now not even 2 days later have received have lost 15 and another on the way out. All runts dead, but the ones that appeared healthy dying now. Temp is right. They look happy, then bam. I will be receiving the rest on the 27th of this month. I cannot put them in with others. Should I put them outside like the lady said. Please HELP!!! they have everything they need. I am glad they didn't send all at the same time. Oh by the by, they are Bantams.
Any Help appreciated. These are what I received according to list
4 BB red old english , 6 Belgian Quali d'avnviers , 3 Crele Old English, 3 Gold Sebright, 3 Mill Fleur d'ullce, 11 seelf blue d'ulcce, 6 Silver sebright, 12 White crested Black Polish, 2 White faced Black Spanish, 2 White laced red cornish

i've just had my first 2 chicks die...one at 2 weeks old, and one at one week old. both from different brooders.

they are in a walk in closet that is about 85-90 degrees depending on the weather.

the bedding is all pine, and changed every 2 days.

the temp is regulated thru out the day, but never higher then 90. if i see they are all moving away from the light, i turn it down (dimmer switch).

only one had pasty butt, but i cleaned that up.

they are in a brooder that is 4 feet wide and 1 1/2 feet deep, and there is 15 in each brooder.

they get medicated food and i'm always changing out their water.

I asked a friend of ours who showed chickens for 30 years. they said that the weaker ones will always die off, and said its better if they die themselves then you having to do it), that it's nothing that i did (always worried about that). He said i'll have a higher mortality rate if the parents of these birds were brother/sister (of course, i really have no way of knowing if they were or not)

I'm just hoping more dont die. it's so heartbreaking. even if it is natural selection and totally out of my control.

Quote:
Pine shavings are toxic to chicks...
You can have SOME pine shaving mixed w/ Aspen if they are outside and well ventilated, but you should use Aspen or something that is not aromatic inside. Pine and cedar are no-nos for chicks
sad.png

I hadn't ever heard of pine being a problem for chicks, & have never encountered a problem using it with my chicks.
However, I always cover the shavings with paper towels the first 3 or so days to keep the chicks from eating shavings before they figure out the different between food and bedding.

I've also never heard of pine shavings being toxic - CEDAR shavings are but I think many people use pine shavings.

However, I use towels for my brooder floors. They are non-slip, super absorbent, warmed by the heat lamp and when they get yucky I just hang them on the line, blast them with the pressure hose and throw them in a bleach wash and dry and they are ready to be used again.

Buy a stack of cheap white towels at the dollar store and you're all set for many, many batches of baby chicks. I also like the towels because I take the chicks straight from the hatcher and put them in the brooder and wet some crumbles and scatter them all around on the towel. I have chicks pecking and eating before they can even hold their heads up or walk.

With the towels I don't have to worry about them eating hay, straw or pine shavings and if they spill their water it gets absorbed.

I think fresh- shaved pine shavings or sawdust can be toxic to chicks because of the high aromatic --and tannin- content. The average pine shavings you can purchase at the pet store have long since stopped being "aromatic". I think if you let them air off a week or so they're just fine. Airflow is the most important factor.

Back
Top Bottom