Somebody shot my rooster in head with BB gun-need urgent advice please!

I need urgent help again,

We are redoing the pen and coop, and the door came down on one of the silkie chicks and flattened him.

His intestines are hanging out of his rear, I pushed them part ways back in.

Is there anything to be done, I can do? I will look it up as soon as I have time.

Really thinking again chickens are just not for me.

I can't help with the prolapse, but I do want to address your last comment.

I just read this whole thread: you did an amazing job responding to both emergencies and you took action to improve safety. You have been attentive, caring, responsible, you have done more than many people would have, and you are actually learning and responding to challenges. And, of course, despite everything we do, life happens! Think of our forebears who had to do this without wire fencing, packaged nutritionally balanced feed, plumbed water, power tools, trail cameras, and BYC on the internet!

I cannot tell you what to do, but please consider that you have been traumatized. Give yourself some time and do not make a final decision for a month, at least...

How's the little guy doing today? I have never given fluids IM, just SQ and intraosseous (which is a different technique usually longer term that uses a fixed catheter). Could you get him to the vet? I wish I could see him to be able to help you more. If he is a chick, it probably has massive internal damage. I hope he isn't suffering.

I do agree with kirikiki. You are really doing all you can to keep your flock healthy and thriving. Sometimes, we just can't control what happens to it. It is painful because we come to enjoy our chickens so much, but accidents, disease and predator attacks are part of life with birds.
Whatever your decision might be, I know it will be wise. You can always count on us here at BYC for support.

He died 2 hours later, man that was awful...

On a much, much brighter note, Rick mated both of my hens yesterday several times!!!

We were in the pen/coop all day, so we saw it all

Thanks kirikiki for those kind words!!!

Thank you to everyone else also!

My husband felt so guilty last night, he actually said that he thought I would be more upset. All these little incidents are making me stronger!

I have my favorite chick, his name is Boaz, after the Bible character, and we had to look closely at the chick when we were burying him to make sure if wasn't him, I kept telling him it wasn't.

I didn't think I'd take part in burying him, but I wanted to.

And again, Rick is mating the hens so that is a fantastic thing!

Much love to all of you, hope y'all have a great day!

BTW are there any Silkie owners here? I've not had time to check out profiles.

He died 2 hours later, man that was awful...

On a much, much brighter note, Rick mated both of my hens yesterday several times!!!

We were in the pen/coop all day, so we saw it all

So sorry about your loss I know it is the hardest part of raising
chickens or any animal for that matter
hit.gif

May you enjoy the rest of your flock
wee.gif

Thanks kirikiki for those kind words!!!

Thank you to everyone else also!

My husband felt so guilty last night, he actually said that he thought I would be more upset. All these little incidents are making me stronger!

I have my favorite chick, his name is Boaz, after the Bible character, and we had to look closely at the chick when we were burying him to make sure if wasn't him, I kept telling him it wasn't.

I didn't think I'd take part in burying him, but I wanted to.

And again, Rick is mating the hens so that is a fantastic thing!

Much love to all of you, hope y'all have a great day!

BTW are there any Silkie owners here? I've not had time to check out profiles.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure that's incredibly difficult. But YAY to Rick doing well!!!
I'm a newbie chicken-lady, and just got my two 3 week old silkies yesterday. I LOVE them!! I mean, I love all of my chicks but these two silkies have the cutest personalities.

Thanks guys! He sure is doing good , I worked on the bad eye today, and it's open partially but it looks like there is an inner eyelid covering it halfway, still.

Ain't affecting his mojo though!

Back
Top Bottom