Someone check me!

Supermommy486

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
South Central Texas
As we get closer to out emu hatching I just want to make sure that we got this right.
For feeding them I should get chick starter and turkey fed and mix them together right? Then offer a variety of fruits and veggies for them to pick from? Thanks in advance. I'm getting nervous!!

everybody does it a little different,,, we start ours on non-medicated chick starter and finely chopped collard greens. Once they start eating we will wean them off the collard greens and add a little laying crumbles to the chick starter to increase their calcium intake...

Tee hee . . .

if you want to start taming them, chop some sultanas fine; put them on your hand; and leave your hand motionless in their pen. See if they'll creep up and eat the sultanas.

Emus eat all manner of seeds and grasses in the wild. So, you can try most any chopped up greenery. They will eat it or they won't. Yep, ya gotta provide a balanced diet, but if you can find ANYTHING fresh that they like and you can grow, you do the birds a nutritional failure and yourself a financial favour.

SE

As we get closer to out emu hatching I just want to make sure that we got this right.
For feeding them I should get chick starter and turkey fed and mix them together right? Then offer a variety of fruits and veggies for them to pick from? Thanks in advance. I'm getting nervous!!

I would ditch the turkey feed.. they will need calcium more than high protein.. so go with chick starter and layer crumbles with chopped greens (no lettuce.. use kale or collard greens which have more vitamins) for the first week

after the first week I add in rabbit pellets and start switching the layer crumbles over to layer pellets

we always add chopped greens into their feed while they are in the brooder along with bits of chopped apple and grated carrots as treats.. once they move outside we start cutting back on the greens and allow them to browse on the plants outside while still offering the layer pellets and rabbit pellets for the first year

Ok awesome. You all helped a lot. I will go to the feed store later this week. Ours is really good about having emu feed on hand but I doubt they would have the emu chick starter. Thankfully we have everything except the chick starter and I grow our greens in a garden out front so I'm a little more prepared than I thought.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Ok awesome. You all helped a lot. I will go to the feed store later this week. Ours is really good about having emu feed on hand but I doubt they would have the emu chick starter. Thankfully we have everything except the chick starter and I grow our greens in a garden out front so I'm a little more prepared than I thought.

Thanks again!!!!!!
you don't need emu chick starter, just chick(en) starter will do just fine at a lot less cost!

So, guys:

is there any food that my tame-wild birds might really like to eat because it contains something that is lacking in their natural environment. I wonder about the birds in winter. They seem to eat nothing bu grass for ten or twelve weeks.

Only ever given them sweet treats: dried figs, sultanas, raisins, apples.

[Oh, I think Sassybird Emu is Number One!! S.E. got a little thang goin' on overcast days: 'Laundry-window outpost': can see one side of the fig tree from the little window in the laundry. It's not any sort of formal observation, but it sure keeps an old man happy. Saw Sassybird pushing a wild breeding-pair around this morning. Who will bet me a peppercorn that Felicity won't turn up with a consort before the end of March. ]

se

Back
Top Bottom