Soo very upset at TSC

I will NEVER buy chicks from TSC again! I picked out 3 chicks from the WHITE LEGHORN labeled 'tank' they had and now it appears they are Cornish X. These girls are huge at 6 weeks! From all the research I have done here I am sure we were sold the wrong ones. I did NOT want meat birds as there is NO WAY I can kill them after raising them from tiny fluff balls. Just can't do it. They have all the characteristics of Cornish X. They look exactly like the picks of them on here and are definitely NOT slender like the Leghorns. If they are bred to be harvested at 8 weeks, do I have to do that? Can they live out healthy chicken lives even though they won't lay many eggs? They are pretty friendly as I handled them since they were hatchlings so I could manage them when they were older (assuming they were Leghorns, that is). If they are gonna have health problems and poor life quality, I will give them away as meat birds as I won't be able to handle the chore. :( Another concern is they are in the coop with 3 red sex-links that are much much smaller although the same age. After reading on here their tendency to cannibalize, should I separate them so the little ones are safe? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

This is what I just posted about...not sure what she is since the bin said buff orps and cinnamon queens...thought she may have been older but she is just so robust at 3 weeks old, something has to be off.

This is what I just posted about...not sure what she is since the bin said buff orps and cinnamon queens...thought she may have been older but she is just so robust at 3 weeks old, something has to be off.
yeah, and to add insult to injury, two of the Cornish chicks have turned out to be robustly crowing Roosters! This was out of a bin that I asked THREE times if they were SURE they were all pullets or hens and got an answer of "ABSOLUTELY they have all been sexed and separated as hens." ugh.

My latest batch of Cornish X meat birds are about 8 weeks old at this point and, with this being my 3rd and last batch of the year, I want to relate a problem I've had with this particular breed- they can end up on their backs. It doesn't sound like a big deal because every other chicken I've ever had has been able to pop back upright and continue living. These fat chunkers die if they end up on their back with no one around to flip them over. That has been my sole source of mortality with Cornish X's.

I watched a 6-week old fall off a 2x4 that was laying flat on the ground and it somehow landed on its back. I laughed and kept on with my chores thinking "what a clumsy nugget!" When I passed by a half hour later, it was still there but had expired. I've found 3 or 4 this year on their backs, ded, with no signs of trauma or injury so, as an experiment, I put one on its back and that pretty much told me all I needed to know. It was stuck and showed signs of distress in just a few seconds- it started to cough on a slurry of feed and water mix.

I flipped it back over and it recovered quickly and lived another couple of weeks.

My latest batch of Cornish X meat birds are about 8 weeks old at this point and, with this being my 3rd and last batch of the year, I want to relate a problem I've had with this particular breed- they can end up on their backs. It doesn't sound like a big deal because every other chicken I've ever had has been able to pop back upright and continue living. These fat chunkers die if they end up on their back with no one around to flip them over. That has been my sole source of mortality with Cornish X's.

I watched a 6-week old fall off a 2x4 that was laying flat on the ground and it somehow landed on its back. I laughed and kept on with my chores thinking "what a clumsy nugget!" When I passed by a half hour later, it was still there but had expired. I've found 3 or 4 this year on their backs, ded, with no signs of trauma or injury so, as an experiment, I put one on its back and that pretty much told me all I needed to know. It was stuck and showed signs of distress in just a few seconds- it started to cough on a slurry of feed and water mix.

I flipped it back over and it recovered quickly and lived another couple of weeks.
The weight probably presses on their organs more that way

Back
Top Bottom