Soo..We adopted a Great Pyrenees..Lost 9 chickens...

just because a hundred or so say that a GP is great with their flock does not mean that they will be great with your flock,

each animal is different just like not all pits are bad and aggressive

IMO this was not HIS flock, they smelled different, they sounded different, they acted different...

hugs.gif
in the future i would maybe crate him/her in the coop with the chickens for a while... I know he cant protect them while he is in a crate but then at least s/he wont be able to hurt the chickens while s/he learns that this is my job now to protect this flock

All animals are unpredictable. My dog, who let our pet quail sit on her back countless times (even while playing and chewing on a toy) killed the quail one day.
All I can say is so sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

I just wanted to comment how fortunate you were to buy your puppy from such a responsible breeder. Even though it didn't work out, you were made 'whole' and the puppy will have a second chance at a good home.

Dogs are not toaster ovens, no matter how well we do things, sometime it just doesn't work out. However, I agree that perhaps you integrated the dog unsupervised a little too quickly into the flock. With its background, it should have worked out better, but it was, as you acknowledged, still a young dog.

Hope you have a better experience if you try again in the future. And, all things considered, I'd go back to that same breeder.

Im sorry for your loss...I wouldnt hold it against the dog. It is one of life's lessons. But I too want to say that is a VERY responsible breeder...Im impressed.

I would have to agree that there is no way that pup could have known that was his flock to guard in just one day. His flock and group to guard was still at his old home, who knows how he viewed your chickens, but they had to be strange to him. He could have just been in a playful mood and their response encouraged it.

So sorry you lost your hens and I hope you decide to give another GP a chance.

Another thought, he had his pals to keep him occupied. I agree with the crating idea for a while. At least until the chickens are used to the dog's presence and don't run away squacking.

You may also want to alpha roll the dog first thing when bringing him into the coop. And several times thereafter. That's what I did to train my blue heeler/aussie cross not to go after them. He thought they were fair game when I brought them home. Now he ignores them because I told him in his language that they are MINE!

Quote:
I want to echo this. The breeder sounds great to work with.

I came home Friday to a dead turkey, killed by my gentle dog that is around my chickens all day. All I can figure is that the turkey was new to him. It is usually penned on the other side of the building where my dog's run is and it had gotten out and wandered into the dog's reach.

Sorry for your mishap.
hugs.gif

I'm really sorry to hear that. My condolences.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that dogs are pack animals, and when you adopt one, you are bringing it into a new pack. Just like with chickens there is going to be a period of sorting out who the pack leader is, and a responsible dog owner must establish the dominant leadership role. This requires a period of training and close supervision. There must me no question in the dog's mind that you are the leader and the chickens are all yours.

I don't think I would trust any breed around the chickens without a few weeks of training.

Our Sarplaninac LGD was raised around goats and chickens from a pup. He, too, was a little older when we got him...6mo.

When we got him home, he was terribly upset as his whole world literally disappeared overnight. He was in a strange place with strange people and strange animals.. He frankly just wanted to be left alone.

The goats were upset, too, as they'd never had a dog in with them for any length of time. The dominant doe of our herd pushed him relentlessly, trying to make sure he understood that she was the alpha (and the omega) in that pasture... He snapped at her face about 50 times trying to make her go away, but she ignored him.. The last time he snapped, she jerked her head back, circled uphill, and went up on her hind legs to butt him in the side.....he knew what that was and basically said "NO MORE."

He lunged -- goat still on two legs in mid-ram -- and grabbed her by the ear. She jerked her ear out of his mouth, vocalized, and ran like hell...he chased her for probably 15-20'..

Bear in mind that my wife and I are going "...oh crap..." the whole time thinking...this isn't going to work.

We went and checked the goat and she didn't have a mark on her. Just some slobber....and boy was she ticked! He didn't even break skin, though. After the chase, he just went and laid down.....and the goats left him the hell alone!

Now...had it been chickens circling him...chickens who didn't know dogs...would he have eventually snapped a few of their heads off simply because he was upset and wanted to be left alone?

It's entirely possible. If he grabbed a chicken like he grabbed the goat's ear, it wouldn't survive..

Remember -- most LGDs have a good deal of fear aggression built-in.. A 5mo pup that's just been removed from everything its ever known is probably going to be primed with fear. It won't look like fear in most dogs, though -- the dog will most likely just keep its head and tail low and look fairly calm..

Anyway, that's my guess at what happened. I don't recall if there were any survivors, but if there were, you can rest assured that it wasn't prey drive... If it were prey drive, you'd have been wiped out completely.

Sorry this happened.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom