South Carolina

Quote:
lau.gif

lau.gif

gig.gif

The things we share on this thread are just like one big family! You all do bring a smile to my face everyday!

Ain't nuthin' wrong with a little bunny pee!
bun.gif

I'm sure I missed the post(s), but I was wondering for those that went to the Barnwell Show...how was it?!?
caf.gif
pop.gif
I wanted to go so bad, but I didn't get back in town until that afternoon and then it was just too late to drive down.
tongue.gif

Farmer John, OUCH!
tongue.png
Those Leghorns really throw some big eggs. I plan to get a few next year as some of my customers have stated they don't care what color the egg as long as they can have extra large so to please them I will get some funny girls and have them available. At some point I will probably cross them with my Marans roos though so I can get some good laying cream colored egg layers.

Hey! Did anyone see the Workday Chicken photo today? Hilarious! And I am sure it will be a beautiful chicken one day.

Quote:
Yes! That is exactly why I like them. Purely egg laying machines! I've thought about raising up some hens and crossing them with different roos to see what the egg colors would be since white is easily "washed out." True, Marans should give good cream color. I was thinking of an Amer. Roo for mine
big_smile.png

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT---Here's my baby @ 12 weeks!!!!
72213_112311160137.jpg

Last edited:
Ahem. You all missed out.....I have leghorn hens and have crossed them with a few things and kept the offspring.

Leghorn x Jersey Giant. Beautiful white with black spots....someone who bought one from me called them "dalmatian hens". Great layers of large cream colored eggs. Big sturdy hens. Great broodies. Great foragers. Successfully fought off hawk attacks. Fabulous hens. My favorite cross. I sold all the hens while downsizing except one who had a head injury and is now blind in one eye. She is a great broody and is actually raising some of my mottled cochins right now.

Leghorn x Cochin. Beautiful white with black spots, lightly feathered legs. Girls are point of lay....been getting one small pullet tan egg from someone...not sure if its them or one of my other POL girls... very pretty hens. They will be sold on 12/17 at Sparta TN show unless someone wanted them first. I expect them to be GREAT broodies and decent layers.

Because white leghorns are dominant white you get white birds with "leakage" in most first generation crosses. My leghorn/giants were sexlinked to some extent. Females had dark shanks and black spots. Males had yellow legs and no spots OR barred spots. Same applied to my leghorn/cochins, both boys were solid white, girls are all white with black spots.

I expect a leghorn/maran would make decent layers of large light brown eggs on the girl side and small but decent fryers on the boy side.

Quote:
Yes! That is exactly why I like them. Purely egg laying machines! I've thought about raising up some hens and crossing them with different roos to see what the egg colors would be since white is easily "washed out." True, Marans should give good cream color. I was thinking of an Amer. Roo for mine
big_smile.png

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT---Here's my baby @ 12 weeks!!!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/72213_112311160137.jpg

Congrats!! I see you had a sucessfull candling!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom