South Carolina

Quote:
DD decided she wanted a puppy for Christmas! I guess it is a good thing we are so broke and she knows it. She wanted a Jack Russell that someone had but I told her not with my chickens. we love the breed but it would not work on the farm. Now she has moved on to a Pug or a Puggle. I would love to have a Puggle but we can't find any around us We may go to the shelter this week and see what they have to offer. She will know it when she sees it and I have to give the okay on the breed and size.
I keep telling her the Guinea Pigs are a lot like a puppy but she isn't buying that!
lol.png

We used to foster a lot of puppies around the holidays when I worked at the vet clinic (we had a big boarding facility with the clinic that I managed, as well) because people didn't want their puppies kept in the kennel. She learned a lot about their care and for years said she did not want one but I suppose now she feels mature enough to handle a youngster and all it entails. Puppies at Christmas were part of her upbringing and now she is below 50 guinea Pigs I think she is missing a lot of the work because puppies can sure be some work!
wink.png

Quote:
I just ran into a lunatic
Thats what I thought when I first heard someone at a university mention artificially insemination for chickens.
But a couple of years later, a well know breeder told me she sometimes has to do that to get good fertility. She even explained how. I have not tried it.
roll.png

I am hoping my silkies are like Susannes and can get it right without my help.
gig.gif
fl.gif

I do trim the butt feathers on some of my orpingtons to improve their fertility. They are so fluffy.

Quote:
I may read on for a bit but I think I won't post anything else for sale. If they want to use it for yakking about those type of hobby birds then fine but not with my input because they won't like what I have to say. I am glad SC outlawed it and am okay that it was a part of our HISTORY but that is just what it is now....history. People like that make me sick. I thought I was going to have a cow when he said you had to get a permit from Clemson but to go on and talk about this other stuff was too much.
And you do notice he could never prove anything about having to get a permit from Clemson or show anywhere that it states you will get fined $1500? People like that are what give chickens a bad name! For pete's sake!

So can a person sell chicken at a Farmers Market? I know you can sell eggs but I did not think you could sell any kind of livestock? NOw there I go....

Live chickens or processed chickens?
I do not know anything about the Farmer's Market since I really push to sell close to me. So far so good but with most of my layers now sold I won't have many eggs left to sell. I really make much more on my breeder flocks by selling hatching eggs and only sell eating eggs because I love to see free ranging chickens. But my ducks are easier to care for, they lay better and I get a lot more meat from them.

We processed a few on Sat. and a new chicken friend came over to watch. She had seen other people process chickens but wanted to see about the ducks, too. She was amazed at the amount of meat I filleted off of the Muscovy breast. The Pekin was not as meaty but those Muscovy boys have tons of meat on the breast and I have been looking for some good recipes for Christmas dinner.

Remember the last scene in "A Christmas Story" where they go out to eat Christmas dinner? We had to laugh over that Sat. when we did the Pekin. We did not pluck these though and did them like our chickens. But our friend took home everything else to use in soups, stews and to see about getting the liver. I can't convince myself to try the liver yet but I do love chicken livers. Kimberly will have to show me one day how to do those.
tongue.png

Quote:
I just ran into a lunatic
Thats what I thought when I first heard someone at a university mention artificially insemination for chickens.
But a couple of years later, a well know breeder told me she sometimes has to do that to get good fertility. She even explained how. I have not tried it.
roll.png

I am hoping my silkies are like Susannes and can get it right without my help.
gig.gif
fl.gif

I do trim the butt feathers on some of my orpingtons to improve their fertility. They are so fluffy.

In all the years that I have had bantam Cochins this was the first year I have ever had to trim. I thought it was just too hot for them to breed well but after watching closely (not my favorite past time, I assure you) I realized it wasn't the weather.
I trimmed and got fertile eggs a few days later.
Another reason I was concerned over the winter weather. My whites are very nice show quality birds as well as those Mottleds but they always have had great fertility.
In August I trimmed up those pens and then later did some of my others when fertility dropped off and it has been good ever since. But I worry now, what will our spring be like? Late? February snow a foot deep? Was this a precursor to some cold or heavy snow?
barnie.gif

Quote:
DD decided she wanted a puppy for Christmas! I guess it is a good thing we are so broke and she knows it. She wanted a Jack Russell that someone had but I told her not with my chickens. we love the breed but it would not work on the farm. Now she has moved on to a Pug or a Puggle. I would love to have a Puggle but we can't find any around us We may go to the shelter this week and see what they have to offer. She will know it when she sees it and I have to give the okay on the breed and size.
I keep telling her the Guinea Pigs are a lot like a puppy but she isn't buying that!
lol.png

We used to foster a lot of puppies around the holidays when I worked at the vet clinic (we had a big boarding facility with the clinic that I managed, as well) because people didn't want their puppies kept in the kennel. She learned a lot about their care and for years said she did not want one but I suppose now she feels mature enough to handle a youngster and all it entails. Puppies at Christmas were part of her upbringing and now she is below 50 guinea Pigs I think she is missing a lot of the work because puppies can sure be some work!
wink.png

A puppy sounds perfect!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom