Southern California Quail Ranchers

I buy Scratch and Peck feed from a local Co-op www.thehappyhealthychicken.com They are in Mira Loma. I also get Modesto Milling feeds from American Farm and Larder in Ontario.

Both companies offer Organic GMO, Corn, and Soy free Starter formulas that works well for my quail. I actually use a mixture between the two feeds. I also add in chick grit, and then oyster shell when my quail are old enough to start laying. They get treats of meal worms and scrambled egg. They also get a daily salad of organic Kale, Spinach, Romaine, and whatever else we have.

No valley quail for us. I believe they have to be tagged and permited. However I am not sure.

Look forward to pictures of your babies. They are such cute little chicks.

Cheers, Julie

Also, does anyone local raise any valley quail? I've checked with F&G as far as the legality of that and they are really wishy washy with their answers. As far as I could tell, as long as the are captive we are ok to raise them?

I look forward to sharing my first hatch!
I raise them too. When they hatch, they need a higher protein diet (~30%). In the wild, chicks feed mainly on insects and they start incorporating more vegetation in their diet as they get older. As adults, their diet is opposite from what it was as chicks - meaning adults prefer more veggies than protein. As far as DFW, I recommend you get a domesticated game breeders license (https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Game-Breeder). It's not too expensive and I have one for my birds.

Hello everyone. My name is Sal and I breed quails, pheasants and over 30 species of exotic Pigeons and doves Including softbills, songbirds and finches. Another words I'm pretty busy with my 30+ years of breeding exotics. It's my passion which I love. I have some pretty rare birds. It's nice to meet new people. Here are some pictures, Enjoy.. 1. Elegant quail, 2. Mountain quail, 3. Roul Roul Partridge.

Thank you.. Sal

Wow Sal,
Those are some pretty cool looking birds. Welcome to this thread.

Julie
big_smile.png

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
I see many asking about a Meet-Up. I want to know how many people would want a Meet up sooner than November? What is the interest level for doing a Elsinore meet in July or August...

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
I see many asking about a Meet-Up. I want to know how many people would want a Meet up sooner than November? What is the interest level for doing a Elsinore meet in July or August...
I think as someone mentioned on FB that maybe an evening meetup might provide for cooler weather. Does the breeze kick up in Elisinore like it does other areas inthe afternoon? I should have more quail hatching next week. So far I've got plenty of extra males on the yougsters I can feather sex and am a couple weeks off from vent sexing my groups of 5 and 3 week olds.

I think as someone mentioned on FB that maybe an evening meetup might provide for cooler weather. Does the breeze kick up in Elisinore like it does other areas inthe afternoon? I should have more quail hatching next week. So far I've got plenty of extra males on the yougsters I can feather sex and am a couple weeks off from vent sexing my groups of 5 and 3 week olds.
Yes, almost every night the breeze kicks up.... except the day we have the first evening meet up. lol There would be concerns about getting home before dark to get their new birds settled in. You know the routine. I like the March/October meet ups right after the poultry shows.

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch and Hatchery;
WEEKEND BLOWOUT SALE!!! The breeding project is well underway and we have a large surplus of 3 week old quails, adults, and breeding quads. I'm looking for people who want quail babies at 3 weeks old, breeding quads or birds for processing...We have Pharaohs, Jumbo Pharaohs, Golden A&Ms, Italian Speckled and Tuxedos.
We have 3 week old Pharaohs for $3 and adults for $5, 3 week old Jumbo Pharaohs for $5 each adults $8 each, Golden A&M babies $5 adults $8 each, Tuxedo babies $8 adults $10 each, and Italian Speckled 3 weeks old for $8 and adults $12. Pharaoh quads (1 male/ 3 females) $20, Jumbo Pharaoh breeding quads $32, Tuxedo quads $40. We also have fertile quail eggs $6 a doz and quail eggs for eating for $4 a doz. available as well as fresh non fertile chicken eggs for $5 a doz. NOT AVAILABLE ON WEEKDAYS! As always, discounts for buying in numbers.
Located in So. Cal. Lake Elsinore area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom