Southern California Quail Ranchers

H, Any of you southern California Quail Ranchers have some young gambel quail. I rescued 1 then got 2 more to keep it company. Had a casualty with one of them and feather duster and for some reason the other just died today. :-( So I'm looking to get 1-3 more. The one I have is approximately 3-4 weeks old so would like to find them around that age group. I'm In Simi Valley. Thanks

Will anyone here have a California quail or Gambel Either september through November? I would like to get a companion for the young Gambel I have now. Thanks. Mary

You are all again cordially invited to the Fall 2015, Lake Elsinore, CPP/BYC South meet-up. The date is Saturday, October 17th, and the location will be at Lakepoint Park, at 420 E Lakeshore Dr Lake Elsinore, CA. 92530. Starts at 10am (set up as early as you want, please bring me some donuts and coffee, lol) and goes until dusk or when Susan stops talking lol. There are trees, a playground, restrooms, and a limited amount of picnic tables w/bbq's (3 in the area). Plenty of parking, but will have to make an aprox 100 yard walk and YES the wagon will be available. The spot is overlooking the lake and the weather should be perfect. So come one, come all and tell a friend and pack a picnic lunch or if someone wants to plan a potluck that's fine too. There is a photo booth being set up so you can get nice pics of you and your animal family. I am also looking for raffle items and donations. In addition I will post a reply to this post in the Elsinore Meet Up Post (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/931057/lake-elsinore-chicken-friends-meet-up) where everyone can post whatever they Have, Want, or Need. (Please quote whoever you are responding to) Also there will be a reply post for those who want to offer a raffle item i.e. Custom baskets like at the last meet-up.
Any questions, PM me... Thanks...

Daaaaang. Currently in Southern California, but will return to my Wyoming homestead before Oct. Bummed I'll miss it.

Doing some garden maintenance at Ventura County, So Cal home. I'd trade a 2+ year old 1 gallon organic coffee arabica plant, 1 gal red currant, or dragon fruit cuttings while I'm here, for a shipment of some Coturnix eggs to WY in 3ish weeks. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I haven't been able to find a companion for my gambel quail. Not sure if it's a she or he. Are there any other types of birds or animals that are good companions with them. I know from reading on here that chickens are out. Bunnies are out too as their urine is too messy. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

...Not sure if it's a she or he. Are there any other types of birds or animals that are good companions with them. I know from reading on here that chickens are out. Bunnies are out too as their urine is too messy. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
By this point, there should be enough indication that it's a male or female - if it is all brown on the face, it's a female, but if it has black feathers the face, then it's a male. Show us a picture if you'd like and we'll try to help you. As for a companion, it is still a little early but there should soon be people offering their stock for sale. Fall and winter is when breeders usually have stock for sale.

Hi Ntsees, River is definitely a male. He is getting the rust head and black on his face. Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in breeding, so my question is what could I get as a companion for him. It has been suggested getting a Dove or finch. Ideally I'm thinking the same species would be good but don't know if 2 males would fight. I guess I could get a female and just not let the eggs hatch.... Where do you suggest finding a breeder that has stock for sale? Thanks in advance.

Hi Ntsees, River is definitely a male. He is getting the rust head and black on his face. Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in breeding, so my question is what could I get as a companion for him. It has been suggested getting a Dove or finch. Ideally I'm thinking the same species would be good but don't know if 2 males would fight. I guess I could get a female and just not let the eggs hatch.... Where do you suggest finding a breeder that has stock for sale? Thanks in advance.
What you choose for his companion will be up to you. If you get a dove or finch, definitely he'll have another bird in the cage with him even though they won't be together. If you get a male or female gambel's quail, they'll stick together (eat together and move together). If you get a male gambel's, for sure they'll be buddies during the non-breeding season but I don't know what will happen when it's spring though. Perhaps they might be ok since there are no females, or maybe instinct will kick in and they'll fight each other...I have no idea and someone with that experience can chime in. If you get a female, for sure they'll pair up and do everything together, but you'll have to deal with the eggs come spring.

The below is a link to a list of California gamebird breeders and about 4 of them have gambel's quail. The list is of this 2015 year and hopefully some of them can ship birds to you.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=29379&inline

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for Jumbo Coturnix quails and Jumbo Bobwhite quails. Does anyone have any available? I'm looking for about 5 pairs or more. I would like to find someone in California. If it's out of state. That's fine too I will pay for the shipping. Thank you... Sal

Back
Top Bottom