Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Me!
I'll have a ton of Silkies for sale.
Just got my offer accepted on a 6 acre parcel in South Carolina.
Can't afford to stay here.
Just what I wanted to do.... build another house. It's not fun anymore
sickbyc.gif

At least my chickens will be legal.
Oh, so sorry to lose you to another state, but wishing you every happiness in South Carolina. I've got a question for you (and for anyone else on here reading this)
I've got 8 chickens. About five days ago, they dramatically stopped acting like hungry dinosaurs. Now, they barely look at their bedtime treat of a little bit of scratch grains. Whereas they used to make a mad dash for it and scarf it all down in five minutes flat. Now that they are molting, they've even cut way down on eating their Purina Layena regular food. They're lively and healthy looking; poops look normal; seem to be enjoying their hours of free ranging in the shrubs and on the grass and dustbathing. They'll show some interest in eating the fresh kale and chard that I toss to them, but are not going crazy to get at it like they normally would. Also, while the bedtime bowl of moistened Farmers Ultra Kibble (32% protein) does still get eaten, it may take two days for it to be all gone. They stopped laying completely about 2 weeks ago. I see no signs of sickness. The molt that they are all going through is the heaviest I've ever seen. Zillions of feathers every single day. Zillions and zillions. But the girls are all still perky and clear-eyed. No one is coughing or sluggish. Just not eating much at all. Still drinking just fine.
Think it's just the molt?

My girls seem cranky too.
Feathers all over the place, I'm getting 4-6 eggs a day.
Slackers!!!
I'm sure it's just the molt, plus it's getting dark around 6 pm.
That's depressing enough for me, let alone the birdies.
Let me know if anything changes, but I'm sure they're fine.

My girls seem cranky too.
Feathers all over the place, I'm getting 4-6 eggs a day.
Slackers!!!
I'm sure it's just the molt, plus it's getting dark around 6 pm.
That's depressing enough for me, let alone the birdies.
Let me know if anything changes, but I'm sure they're fine.
well, ok then. We'll just wait it out and see if their appetites perk up again in due course.
Thanks! as always.

I've been searching the yard for hidden eggs because we weren't finding the normal amount in the nesting box. I guess it's happening all around. My daughter freaked, she thought something "got" a chicken because their were soooooo mant feathers in the yard. One chicken "sparkle" seemed to lose almost all her feathers overnight. The coop looked like someone opened a pillow and shook it out!!!

Good to see you at the show Roberta and Vera! Missed everyone else? Carol are you still around on here? I have been meaning to call you. Pip, how are things? How is everyone else doing?

Anyone else getting pm's from someone in Rocky Point trying to rehome 2 ducks? If not, anyone *want* 2 ducks?

I've got 'em! Two young adult Pekin girls! I'm up to 6 chickens
lau.gif
, the two pekins and I have two little cayuga babies. I also have the coturnix quail. The Pekins give me two enormous eggs a day, and my youngest chicken girls just started laying, so we're back to eating LOTS of eggs!

How is everyone? I've been so busy with baseball and poultry and children...It's hard to get a grip on anything "exterior".

Has anyone spoken to Suzanne? I haven't heard from her in a long time!

Oh
I've got 'em! Two young adult Pekin girls! I'm up to 6 chickens
lau.gif
, the two pekins and I have two little cayuga babies. I also have the coturnix quail. The Pekins give me two enormous eggs a day, and my youngest chicken girls just started laying, so we're back to eating LOTS of eggs!

How is everyone? I've been so busy with baseball and poultry and children...It's hard to get a grip on anything "exterior".

Has anyone spoken to Suzanne? I haven't heard from her in a long time!

I'm so glad!

Someday I'd love to have ducks - if only to get rid of the duck hunters.
rant.gif
But not right now!

Hi everyone. My homeowners insurance just cancelled me because I have chickens. Ugh. They are legal here. I don't get it. Oh well I'm not giving them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom