Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I've been watching ospreyzone.com. This osprey nest is in East Marion, Long Island. The first baby hatched today, 2 more eggs to go. No, it's not chickens, but it's beautiful and interesting. The camera is situated right above the nest and is "live feed " so you can really see everything as it happens.

OT: Anyone else bummed by the state math/ELA results? Over 86% of the 3rd graders at my kids school failed the ELA exam - and we're still not worst in the district.

OT:  Anyone else bummed by the state math/ELA results?  Over 86% of the 3rd graders at my kids school failed the ELA exam - and we're still not worst in the district. 

My son just finished 3rd grade and is moving into 4th. We're in the Wappingers Central School district. How did you hear about the results? I haven't heard anything. I know a lot of kids didn't take the test this year. They had to setup space for them in the library. I guess they "opted out"...I'm trying to remember if that's the right term.

The local newspapers posted links to the data - I still have no idea of how my individual child did.

This *should* work for your district:
http://data.nysed.gov/assessment.php?year=2015&instid=800000053180

You should also be able to look up by school. You can view by percentages or by numbers. You have to use the "filter" option to get specific grades.

Opt outs varied greatly by district, and even within the district. Statewide, the average % of students opting out was about 20%. At my daughter's school, it was MUCH less than that.

There's some interesting data about those who opted out, FWIW. Apparently, the state data analysis has come up this idea that those who opt out are more likely to be white and less likely to be economically disadvantaged - and more likely to have scored in the Level 1 range if they did take the exam!

The local newspapers posted links to the data - I still have no idea of how my individual child did.

This *should* work for your district:
http://data.nysed.gov/assessment.php?year=2015&instid=800000053180

You should also be able to look up by school.  You can view by percentages or by numbers.  You have to use the "filter" option to get specific grades.  

Opt outs varied greatly by district, and even within the district.  Statewide, the average % of students opting out was about 20%.  At my daughter's school, it was MUCH less than that.

There's some interesting data about those who opted out, FWIW.  Apparently, the state data analysis has come up this idea that those who opt out are more likely to be white and less likely to be economically disadvantaged - and more likely to have scored in the Level 1 range if they did take the exam! 

I will try that link when I get to the big computer, I'm on a mobile now. I mean, I understand why parents are upset about it. It does change the curriculum and takes time away from other forms of learning but my son wasn't stressed or upset about taking the test. Once he heard that a lot of his friends weren't taking it, he didn't want to either but I told him that wasn't a good enough reason. He said he did great on the pre-test but I don't know how he scored on the actual test either. That's interesting statistics.

I will try that link when I get to the big computer, I'm on a mobile now. I mean, I understand why parents are upset about it. It does change the curriculum and takes time away from other forms of learning but my son wasn't stressed or upset about taking the test. Once he heard that a lot of his friends weren't taking it, he didn't want to either but I told him that wasn't a good enough reason. He said he did great on the pre-test but I don't know how he scored on the actual test either. That's interesting statistics.

Yeah, I kind of think the kids who are stressed are stressed because the adults (parents or teachers) are making them stressed. This doesn't affect their grades, won't be used for class placement, etc.

It irritates me that some of the schools eliminated school science fairs to focus on exam prep, when working on science fair projects use EVERYTHING in the purported long term goals. "Nonfiction" reading is a lot more interesting when you're doing it to get information you plan on actively using, and critical thinking is certainly useful in putting together a science fair project!

A vocal refusethetest activist out here was going on about how more psychological services would be necessary at the schools for the children because their self esteem would be ruined forever by these exams...

Last edited:
I have been selling my eggs for $3 a half dozen. The owner of the shop I work in a couple times a month pays me $5 for a half dozen. Carolyn I grew up in Freeport and still have my mom and my sister there. I work at salontique twice a month in Freeport. :)

Boy it's been quiet here lately!
Just popped in to welcome a new peep from W Islip, Ann Marie.
Who all is going to the Sussex NJ show on Oct 17?
Christine did you want me to bring that incubator cabinet?
I'm having another surgery next week, as long as I can walk I'll be there. Ugh!

Boy it's been quiet here lately!
Just popped in to welcome a new peep from W Islip, Ann Marie.
Who all is going to the Sussex NJ show on Oct 17?
Christine did you want me to bring that incubator cabinet?
I'm having another surgery next week, as long as I can walk I'll be there. Ugh!
Surgery??? I hope it isn't anything serious. I want to say yes, but our basement just flooded again and I am not sure I have a place I can put it... how big is it again?

I will be a the show with 4 cream legbar roosters and several bantam roosters (some red pyle moderns, a porcelain dutch, and several blue D'Anvers). Should be a fun car ride. At least it is a quick one. I am going to enter this year... blue brassy back sport OEG cockerel. He is stunning.

It's designed to hold 5 egg turners. Have to find the plans so you can finish assembly. I have a sales spot if you need to share. Still not sure if I'm going... in a lot of pain still.

Back
Top Bottom