Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Quote:
Hi Vanessa, welcome, and thanks for stopping by. Hopefully we all can have an active thread for us to be able to question each other and get advice.

I use organic feed but it is soy which does bother me a little. Which feed are you using? Right now I use Nature's best which is a change from the Green Mountain. I might go to Countryside Organics. I believe the link is up on the thread for Megan Paska in Brooklyn, who is now a distributor.

Getting the cockerel out before he disturbs the neighbors is a good idea. Ours were sexlinks so we are pretty certain they are all pullets.

Glad to see rooftop chickens are getting to be a big thing in the city, and Brooklyn has a big following from what I've read. In the old days it was pigeons, but eggs are a great benefit to having chickens.

Again, Welcome. Hope we can get more following the thread.

Al

Forgot to tell you guys, one of the chickens was sitting in the nest box when I went to let them out this morning. I'm feeling eggy!!!

Hi Vanessa,

It's great to hear from you! We adopted a rescue chicken that was found wandering around the street in Brooklyn! At the time I wondered where she was from and how she could live in Brooklyn and now I see, a rooftop chicken coop.

When we called a pet rescue to see if they ever got chickens, we were connected to a woman who told us she was looking a home for a stray chicken that a store owner found and was keeping tied up in the back of his store. We live in Suffolk county a bit far to pick her up, so lady arranged for her to be dropped of at my husbands work in Hicksville. Well my husband's co-worker comes into the office asking if anyone special ordered chicken for lunch!!!! Fortunately my husband realized the mistake and told them the person was there for him, his coworker said well your lunch came in a limo! Then the whole place had to look at the big black limo out in the parking lot with our chicken in the back seat in a box!!! Now my husband is known as "the chicken man"!!

Marianne

Quote:
Again,,,, What a cool place to have chickens!!!
smile.png

Well Al I hope your dream comes true today!
fl.gif

2 more of my gals layed ther first eggs today! My Barnvelder named Tiger Lily was making a racket all morning long trying to decide where to hide herself. Then lo and behold I checked and found a dark brown egg just outside the coop door on the ground.LOL
And to top it off I "think" my RLBW left me the other which is a lighter brown egg an hour later. Very eggciting as I've waited since January for this.
ya.gif
My silkie better get on the ball.

Steamy here today and we just begun painting the house.
sickbyc.gif

Maggie, steamy is not the word. Had to put a fan on the ladies as they are panting in this heat. Having a day off and not being able to do anything outside is frustrating. I hope you are painting the interior of the house. I'm enjoying the A/C right now. Was going to add some sand to the run but did not get the sand early enough so I'll wait till the sun drops.

No eggs yet, but they are taking turns inspecting the nests. One amberlink looks like she is the most mature and I would expect her to lay first. The anticipation is killing us. Watch this go on for weeks.
th.gif

<-------How does my new hat look? I needed to get an avatar up and this one came to mind. Queenie jumped up there on her own.

Oh that hat should deter rain drops and all types of fallout!

Exterior painting.......working with the shade and switching around when the sun hits a side we are working on. This'll take forever.............my husband took total of 18 days but between holiday/heat/rain we'll be luckyu to get 2-3 sides done. Lots of trim work needed in different colors as well. I can't wait to see the eld result.

droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom